Update led to overheating, battery drain

bestmark

Reaction score
I just updated my Motorola Droid 4 and since updating it has been overheating and draining the battery. Any ideas? Thanks.

OP
B

bestmark

Reaction score
I just updated my Motorola Droid 4 and since it's been overheating and draining the battery. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
If you ever start encountering stuff that's isn't normal after taking an update i would recommend doing a factory reset (or 2)

Sent from RAZR Maxx FlyingJelly

dsprik

Reaction score
Same here on my and my wife's Razr... She just stopped in the middle of a phone converstion to tell me her phone was "burning hot". I was skyping with my phone last night and mine got really hot. Thought it was just the Skype program as it was the first time I had tried it. Now I believe it is an update problem...

~On Edit: Also just recieved updates a couple days ago...

Last edited:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Crap. Boss just came into my office.
"Feel this!"
Phone is really hot.
"Not to mention I made 2 phone calls today and my battery is at 20%"
It's 4 o'clock.
"Anything new happen recently?"
"I got this update that I let install....."

Damn.

Any one else seeing this issue?

SnglGrma

Reaction score
I just updated my Motorola Droid 4 and since it's been overheating and draining the battery. Any suggestions?

Did each of you perform a factory reset....before or after your update?

If not....you might want to try that and see if it still happens. Maybe your old apps are conflicting and can't settle down.

If you did, check your GPS ...is it trying to sync too many times each day....that drained my battery within hours each day.

AZMountaineer

Reaction score
My Bionic has been doing this lately. Maybe since the last O/S upgrade, not sure.

Gets very warm to the touch just sitting in its holster. Battery drains badly, and on a couple of occasions I've gotten an overheat message on the display, saying it was shutting down nonessential functions.

Running Android 4.1.2, Kernel v. 3.0.8-g4a62d00, Build 9.8.20-72_VZW-22

@Joanie, can you set how often GPS syncs?

SnglGrma

Reaction score
@Joanie, can you set how often GPS syncs?

Not that I have found, I have basically shut off a lot of the gps settings unless I need them. But that is a very good question....might do some searching tonight regarding it.

But to your complaint of phone getting hot (warm) ...mine has also been doing that more lately....(Droid4) I probably installed (updated) something that's conflicting with older versions.

So I will be doing a factory reset again ...you might want to try that as well

This version of Jelly Bean is terrible.... I can't wait till the day I can afford another type of phone...or my contract ends so I can change providers, etc.

Psxmoe

Reaction score
Had the same issues, root your phone and install CyanogenMod. Running in 4g gets my phone so hot that i only use 4g when i take of my battery door off and set the phone in an air conditioning vent while tethering. That and running in 3g most of the time lets me use my phone all day. Stock software is crap and already outdated. I turned my $199 stupid phone into a phone i actually enjoy

galleria2k

Reaction score
I had the same problem when my phone updated to JB. I finally searched & searched these forums until someone suggested to clear the screen cache. Make sure you make a "map" of where all your apps are located on all screens before you do it, since it will reset the screens to factory. After I cleared the cache, then repopulated my app shortcuts, all has been well ever since. As soon as I find or remember the process, I'll come back & edit.

MegatronJE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Driod Tubo
my driod 4 got red hot to the touch and the battery life was 0 the last time i used it the battery was 100% made one 15 min call and it droped to 50% for the whole day the battery lasted 2 hours 30 min and thats with all data off the smart actions app did nothing to make the battery last any longer and i preset it to save the most power it could but it did not work

fingaz

Reaction score
My Droid 4 started getting really really hot lately. One time, it was so hot that it felt like it was burning my leg when it was in my pocket and I had to take it out real quick. I noticed it gets pretty hot when playing a game, which is understandable, however recently, it has been getting hot for no apparent reason. Plus, the phone blows through my battery life in a matter of hours.

The phone has been sitting on my desk all day long and I have hardly touched it. Earlier today, the phone was at 100% and everything was fine. Dropped to 80% after a few hours. But then all of a sudden, my phone got really hot and it dropped all the way down to about 30% (from 80%) in 45 minutes. Even when charging via my PC's USB the battery still drains quickly.

I tried closing everything that was running with ATK -- Facebook, Google books, Google Plus (you know, those apps that run constantly even though you don't use them) but still hot. Even restarted the phone and nothing helped.

One thing I noticed is that my service has been absolutely horrible lately. I used to get great service, full 4g wherever I went. Now, I barely get 3g. Dialing *228 has become a weekly ritual to see if it gets better and it never does. And putting the phone on Wifi doesn't help either. I think my phone is constantly trying to search for service and can never get good service, so it keeps trying while using up my whole battery and all the phone's processing power to do so.

I think I am going to have to take it back to Verizon and complain so I get a replacement for free.

Considering they know absolutely nothing about cell phones at my local VZW store, has anyone had a fix without going to Verizon?

P.s. - It did not start after an update. Just randomly started happening.