Unrooted section

andymellon4

Reaction score
yeah the hacks section is more for stuff that can ruin your phone ;)

there are some exceptions though, like pdanet, that are available to non-rooted users.. we'll see where this thread goes..?

What about APKs?
like launchers and etc

phones dont have to be rooted to get these but they still modify your phone

Moondonkey

Reaction score
What about Applications/Mods (non-root)?

Would that work for everyone?

Works for me...

I like the idea of a non- root mod section.

I normally love to hack/mod stuff, but I am not rooted and plan on staying in the shallow end until I get further into my contract or have a few more $$ in da bank. If I bricked mine right now.... I would.... <shiver>, have to go back to a feature phone.... :icon_eek:

andymellon4

Reaction score
What about Applications/Mods (non-root)?

Would that work for everyone?

Works for me...

I like the idea of a non- root mod section.

I normally love to hack/mod stuff, but I am not rooted and plan on staying in the shallow end until I get further into my contract or have a few more $$ in da bank. If I bricked mine right now.... I would.... <shiver>, have to go back to a feature phone.... :icon_eek:

Thats why I havent:icon_ banana:

deadernie

Reaction score
I myself have not rooted either. While I've read all the success stories I'm still cautious about doing so. Bricking my phone (even if it is a remote possibility ) would definitely not be good financially right now and I don't want to have to downgrade to replace my phone. However I'd love a section devoted to all the mods that can be done without being rooted.

gatorbait

Reaction score
Great idea. As a Droid user who has decided not to take the plunge and root, I'd love to see this type of section. I'm still interested in modifying and customizing my phone, but it is hard to sift through all the root mods to find modifications for non-rooted users.

Cowpoke

Reaction score
Add me to the list that likes this idea.

Boot ani's, sweeter home discussions, keyboard eplacements etc are other things that would fit in well.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
though im rooted, i still think it is a good idea. Some may just want something that works with out all the battery pulls or figuring out this and that. The droid is an all purpose phone that can be hacked for the hard core hackers, and apps and tweaks for the everyday user. I am in the middle which is why i use droidmod, but I would like to see some tweaks that I can do with out typing 900 commands.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
YOu can count me in as well. Im still on the fence on whether or not im going to take the plunge into rooting my phone. I do love all of what the root users have been able to do though.

BzB

Reaction score
what about apps/mods that both rooted and unrooted users can have access to?

might this make it muddier for rooted users to find/get feedback on apps/mods that might not be listed in their section?

outside of the hacks and roms forum is there even a rooted section?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

might this make it muddier for rooted users to find/get feedback on apps/mods that might not be listed in their section?

i see where you are going, but rooted phone can still use some apps and tweaks from the market. There are many people who installed droid mod just for o/c wifi tethering but are not capable or wanting to mess around with hacking their phone. So this will help those that are unrooted or using droidmod.

OP
I

itsdestiny

Reaction score

I don't know why it would make it messier for rooted users if non rooted users have a section for non rooted information. Rooted users have access to both rooted and unrooted applications.

If there is an application, mod, game, tool, etc that doesn't require root, they can all go in that 1 section which is available for everyone. Right now we have multiple sections that flood answers for both users and it is hard to fish through which one requires root.

In a lot of these threads you'll always have someone ask "does this require root?" question. This will weed out the questions and is available for everyone