Countdown to Unroot!

Reaction score
To all you rooter roosters! Given the great news... this is the thread to countdown to you unrooting. Please state what you are currently running, and when you plan to unroot. When you do unroot, please also post here.

Please remember that unrooting is not a depreciation of the developers who brought us the wonderful ROMS like Sholes, Bugless Beast, Smoked Glass, etc...

This is just a "official" evolution that some are taking. Batter up!

Here is a tutorial for unrooting:

Unroot & Back To Stock

by Big Lou on Jan.21, 2010, under Guides, Root
Though Root is a powerful tool that will allow you to do so much more with your Droid, sometimes people need to completely remove it. Whether you need to turn your phone in to get serviced or would like to revert back for personal reasons, removing all hacks is a relatively easy process. If you are wanting to turn back because you are having troubles, I understand the frustration, but I urge you to stay with it and learn all you can to improve your situation. However, I can’t stop everyone, and in some cases going back to stock is necessary.
Stock is how the Droid came from the factory without Root or any hacks applied to it. Because obtaining Root goes against the Verizon Wireless TOS, if we were to have any problems with our phone that would require Verizon Servicing, we would obviously need to remove everything we’ve done. Fortunately, this guide will only target Root-specific files; no user data or Market apps will be deleted! Here is what will result from reverting back to stock:
  • Removal of Superuser Permissions App
  • Restore all default Verizon Apps
  • Restore stock Recovery console/remove SPRecovery and Nandroid
  • Remove Busybox
  • Disable Root-required Apps
  • Remove Root
Disclaimer
(2/5)
Prerequisites: (Please be familiar with the following)
Requirements:
It is strongly suggested that you follow the Full System Backup guide and create a backup of your Rooted Droid before you perform the Unroot. If you do make a backup, you can always restore your Root settings if you plan to re-root your Droid.
Step 1: PC Connection
Using the method found in the MicroSD Mounting guide, connect your Droid to a PC via USB and mount your MicroSD card.
root_2.png

Step 2: Uploading the Unroot Update Package
Download the Droid Unroot Update Package (unroot_update.zip). Unlike what we used in the Obtaining Root guide, this package is a modified OTA update which REMOVES all Root files and settings. This will not, however, remove any of your personal settings or apps.
You must rename this zip file to “update.zip”. That means you remove the “unroot_” at the beginning of the name. If you are on Vista or Windows 7 and file extensions are hidden, do not add “.zip”; the “.zip” is just hidden.

The Unroot package is named with a “unroot_” so that you don’t mix it up with the original Root package before you use it.
Once you have downloaded and renamed the package to update.zip, drag it onto the MicroSD card folder you opened on your computer. After the file has transferred to your MicroSD card, you must unmount your Droid. You are now ready to apply the update package.
Step 3: Preparing your Droid for Unroot

There is one of two ways of performing the next step. It all depends on if you have flashed the custom SPRecovery to your Droid. As stated above, it is highly recommended that you use SPRecovery and make a full backup of your Rooted Droid. Either way, you must boot into your Recovery Console.
Power down the Droid completely.
While holding “X” on the physical keyboard, hold the power button to turn on the phone. You may let go of the power button, but do not let go of X.
root_6.png

After a few seconds, you will boot into your Recovery Console and you may now let go of X. If you are booting into the stock Recovery Console, you must hold Volume Up and then press the Camera button to access the menu.
Step 4a: Using SPRecovery
Using the directional pad, navigate to “install” on the main SPRecovery menu and select it using the gold, center button.
unroot_1.png

Inside the install menu is three options. You must first select “Allow update.zip Installation”, though it may appear that nothing has happened. After you select it, select “Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)”. This will begin an automatic installation process.
unroot_2.png

unroot_3.png

After a few minutes you will see “Install from sdcard complete.” From here, navigate back to the SPRecovery main menu by tapping the power button. You will now select “wipe cache partition”.
unroot_5.png

The automatic Cache Wipe process will take no longer than a few seconds. This clears the cache that may hold on to Root-related data. Navigate to “reboot system now” to reboot your Droid and complete the process of Unrooting.
Step 4b: Using Stock Recovery Console
Using the directional pad, navigate to “apply sdcard:update.zip” and push the gold, center button to select it.
root_8.png

The update process will begin immediately and should take no longer than a minute or two. It will let you know when the process is complete.
root_9.png

Navigate to “reboot system now” to reboot your Droid and complete the process of Unrooting.
Step 5: Ensure your Droid is Unrooted
Once your Droid has rebooted, open the app list. If everything worked properly, you should no longer see the Superuser Permissions app with the Ninja icon. If you used the Removing Default Verizon Apps guide, you should also notice that the apps you removed have now been restored. If you had flashed SPRecovery to your Droid, this too will be gone and be replaced with the stock Recovery Console.
You are now safely Unrooted. One thing you may want to do is clean up any Root-only apps you may have installed, but this is not necessary.

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Was running Sholes.info's 2.0.3 ROM OC'd to 800mHz. Read of the eminant arival of the official 2.1 and went ahead and unrooted. Kept SMUpdater so when 2.1 gets root I will just jump back in. I figured a couple days back stock wouldn't hurt.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Won't you still want your droid oc'd?

This is the feature that has me TORN as to whether or not I should unroot!! I know that even with the 2.1 update my Droid still will not run as good as it does right now....but, I just wanna see that stupid notification window popup on my Droid!! Thats it! I've been waiting forever it seems for this update getting discouraged, and now, finally its coming.........

OP
W
Reaction score

Not really. I never found the native speed an issue. I also told my brain to program enjoying the default speed, because I know how rooted devices go. You get advanced privileges, which often leads to overclocked devices, thus... I've basically gotten my brain to get accustomed with the "default" because if I got too fascinated with the "advanced privileges", I will start to lose initial love for the device that I brought. This in fact would give me a "placebo" feeling of emptiness realizing that I fell in love with what the device is modified to do, instead of what I initially liked. Its a depreciation effect that many that rooted for mainly speed, will encounter.

Or better sense, I like my girls to be beautiful without make-up, fancy dresses, and awesome hair. Even though it looks nice. :)

Natural beauty is my love in ANYTHING.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Was running Sholes.info's 2.0.3 ROM OC'd to 800mHz. Read of the eminant arival of the official 2.1 and went ahead and unrooted. Kept SMUpdater so when 2.1 gets root I will just jump back in. I figured a couple days back stock wouldn't hurt.

You won't be able to just "jump back in" to a new supped up 2.1 ROM just yet....you will have to wait for Sholes to figure out the method as to which to root 2.1 (if that hasn't been discovered already) and build a new enhanced overclocked 2.1 ROM.....but I really don't expect that to take that long actually...

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Not really. I never found the native speed an issue. I also told my brain to program enjoying the default speed, because I know how rooted devices go. You get advanced privileges, which often leads to overclocked devices, thus... I've basically gotten my brain to get accustomed with the "default" because if I got too fascinated with the "advanced privileges", I will start to lose initial love for the device that I brought. This in fact would give me a "placebo" feeling of emptiness realizing that I fell in love with what the device is modified to do, instead of what I initially liked. Its a depreciation effect that many that rooted for mainly speed, will encounter.

Or better sense, I like my girls to be beautiful without make-up, fancy dresses, and awesome hair. Even though it looks nice. :)

I absolutely loved my Droid the day I bought it, but honestly, I can say that I LOVE it even more with all the enhancements.....

OP
W
Reaction score

I absolutely loved my Droid the day I bought it, but honestly, I can say that I LOVE it even more with all the enhancements.....

I understand, but when those enhancements are gone, you will love it less. I can't have that! :D

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I will wait and see that update hit my wifes droid first before I decide to unroot.

mike_kauble

Reaction score
I love my Droid which has been running 2.1 for more than a month, and is OC to 800Mhz. Why would I unroot? I run flawlessly now?

HMJB

Reaction score

This is the feature that has me TORN as to whether or not I should unroot!! I know that even with the 2.1 update my Droid still will not run as good as it does right now....but, I just wanna see that stupid notification window popup on my Droid!! Thats it! I've been waiting forever it seems for this update getting discouraged, and now, finally its coming.........

heh, funny thing

with 2.01 I never saw the popup.. I got the update on this forum the day it started to release (in batches or whatever)

Hopefully the same thing will happen here just as quickly :)

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I understand, but when those enhancements are gone, you will love it less. I can't have that! :D

Oh trust me, I know, I've went back to the stock speed a couple times and I always got frustrated cause I was used to the speed......

But the way I look at it, is like, if you can make it better, then why would you wanna go back beneath better?? Why would you backtrack to something not as good? You know what I'm sayin....

Which of course if you never make it "better", then you wouldn't know what "better" was...so I understand what you're sayin

r-dubya

Reaction score
I will also wait to see how 2.1 turns out. I'm planning on just staying rooted until Sholes update to run a off the new Droid 2.1.

crspang

Reaction score
I'll unroot and update to 2.1 IF that what it takes to get Flash to work, otherwise I'm keeping it running hot!

alm0614

Reaction score
if you unroot after the update is pushed out, will you still get it when you unroot?