Unlocking The Screen

ttocsmi

Reaction score
Hello all, first post from a new member with a new Droid X..

I was searching for information on how to disable the automatic screen lock when running on battery (screen powers off, have to hit the home button and do a left-swipe to re-access the phone), and I found a program, err an app, called "No Lock" which purports to do the trick.

I haven't tried it yet, but whether or not it works is not the subject of my post.

Rather, why do I have to download and install an "app" to do something as simple as editing a Windows display setting on my PC, or making a registry entry change?

There are all these "apps" which do things the user should be able to do him/herself without the assistance of a computer programmer.

I don't completely understand why things need to be so complicated. Is that just the way it is with smartphones?

My theory is this: the more things are locked down, the lesser chance a user will honk up the phone - which keeps customer satisfaction high and customer service costs down. Am I right?

I can imaging the debacle if phones were like Windows PCs. I understand, but still find it incredibly annoying.

[/rant]

brando56894

Reaction score
Rather, why do I have to download and install an "app" to do something as simple as editing a Windows display setting on my PC, or making a registry entry change?

I can imaging the debacle if phones were like Windows PCs. I understand, but still find it incredibly annoying.

Not to be an @$$ but this isn't windows, its linux, and a lot of stuff is modular and set up differently. If you want a "windows-type" phone get an windows mobile based smartphone. :D

On another note mylock works pretty well (I used to use it), but a better solution I have found is to root your device, install Cyanogen 6 and enable the "toggle screen lock" widget in the pull down menu. But since you want things to "just work" thats probably too much for you....

OP
T

ttocsmi

Reaction score
Feeling a bit snarky today, eh? Who peed in your Cheerios?

Regardless of the OS, seems to me that changing the lock setting shouldn't require one to run an app, or to root the phone and void the warranty.