unable to receive group messages

gstiglitz

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid maxx
Hi all, my droid maxx has just stopped receiving group messages. From what I have read, some post say to turn off WiFi and use data to receive group messages. Something has changed as I have not had this problem before. I have tried different messaging apps without success. Any thoughts?

If you are on Verizon then Data must be turned On even when WiFi is turned on to receive MMS texts. If you have WiFi on and Data Off at the same time I don't think you can receive a MMS text. It has been that way with every Droid I have owned.

MMS is sent over data so sajokaz is correct, data needs to remain on.

What app are you using for texting? Have you tried removing the SIM card for a minute to see if that will help (while the device is off)?

Welcome to the Forum @gstiglitz . If all fails, a factory reset may do the trick.

If you are on Verizon then Data must be turned On even when WiFi is turned on to receive MMS texts. If you have WiFi on and Data Off at the same time I don't think you can receive a MMS text. It has been that way with every Droid I have owned.
Data and WiFi are turned on, had no issues in the past.

MMS is sent over data so sajokaz is correct, data needs to remain on.

What app are you using for texting? Have you tried removing the SIM card for a minute to see if that will help (while the device is off)?
I have tired several different app without success. Will try removing SIM card tonight. Read other places where that didn't help. I have been told it's a Motorola issue.

I'm not sure that its a Motorola issue in general. I have four Moto phones (mine is a Maxx also) and they all receive MMS normally. I know two other people that have a Droid Maxx and can receive MMS also. If @dezymond suggestion does not help, have you installed any new apps around the time this started? Also, have you tried receiving a MMS text with the phone in Safe Mode. That can be a good troubleshooting tool to see if a Play Store app is causing the issue.

I'm not sure that its a Motorola issue in general. I have four Moto phones (mine is a Maxx also) and they all receive MMS normally. I know two other people that have a Droid Maxx and can receive MMS also. If @dezymond suggestion does not help, have you installed any new apps around the time this started? Also, have you tried receiving a MMS text with the phone in Safe Mode. That can be a good troubleshooting tool to see if a Play Store app is causing the issue.
Thank you! Booted to safe mode and received MMS. Found some apps the kids loaded and deleted them, problem solved. Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

Thank you! Booted to safe mode and received MMS. Found some apps the kids loaded and deleted them, problem solved. Thanks to all who took the time to reply.
Awesome. Glad to hear that was helpful.

Glad to hear you got this resolved @gstiglitz. Thanks for the update & welcome to the forum. Please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything else we can give you a hand with.

S5 tap'n

Back