contact groups

windstrings

Reaction score
Sorry to highjack but what about straight email from google. i have a list of people in a group in gmail but it doesnt show in my contact list. how do i get that to show up in contacts?

thanks

It probrably there you just don't see it because when your in contacts you really in "all your contacts" which is treated like a group too.

1. While in contacts at the top make your your viewing "contacts" and not favorites or call long.
2. Then go to your menu and select "display options"
3. pick which account your interested in.
4. Unselect "system group: my contacts".... otherwise not matter what else you pick you will still see the whole tamale.
5. on the right select "so that there is a checkmark" in the group you want.... remember to unselect contacts.
6. Hit done and you will now only see the people in that group and can email or text accordingly.

The problem is, you still have to go to your online Google account to edit, add or otherwise alter your groups.

Don't forget to recheck "contacts" or you will only see that group everytime you try to view your contacts.

Its ok to leave another group checked too if you view it often... that way you only have to uncheck "my contacts" next time and your group will already be checked.

samizak

Reaction score
Group Sync Solution

I don't know if it works with MS Exchange but for anyone that has a Gmail or Google Apps email account "Contacts GroupU" synchronizes groups from your gmail or google apps account with your Android phone. It will occasionally force close but it is free, automatically synchronizes and you can send group email or sms.

windstrings

Reaction score
anyone that has a Gmail or Google Apps email account "Contacts GroupU" synchronizes groups from your gmail or google apps account with your Android phone.

True, but can you do it from the phone?
Can you create from the phone and go to your online account and find those groups you created and have the associated contacts you added to those groups show up online?

Or is the whole groups thing something you can only manipulate from the online google account?

many times I will add a contact while out and about and want to add them to a certain group "or maybe even create a new group to put them in" but can't.... so I have to try and "remember" till I can get on a computer and do it online.

Accessing your google account from your mobile browser doesn't give you the option to create or manipulate groups either that I could find.

samizak

Reaction score
I was able to create a group on the phone and it synchronized with my google apps account so it does work both ways. Like I said it does occasionally force close, but it works.

sterdroids

Reaction score
Sorry to highjack but what about straight email from google. i have a list of people in a group in gmail but it doesnt show in my contact list. how do i get that to show up in contacts?

thanks

It probrably there you just don't see it because when your in contacts you really in "all your contacts" which is treated like a group too.

1. While in contacts at the top make your your viewing "contacts" and not favorites or call long.
2. Then go to your menu and select "display options"
3. pick which account your interested in.
4. Unselect "system group: my contacts".... otherwise not matter what else you pick you will still see the whole tamale.
5. on the right select "so that there is a checkmark" in the group you want.... remember to unselect contacts.
6. Hit done and you will now only see the people in that group and can email or text accordingly.

The problem is, you still have to go to your online Google account to edit, add or otherwise alter your groups.

Don't forget to recheck "contacts" or you will only see that group everytime you try to view your contacts.

Its ok to leave another group checked too if you view it often... that way you only have to uncheck "my contacts" next time and your group will already be checked.

THANKS for this. The problem is why cannot my group of contacts become one contact entry so if i start typing the group name it will be there as an option to send to that group.

Otherwise its so many steps to email a google group of contact checking off all contacts to view by group sending the email then selecting ll contacts again. right?

thanks

windstrings

Reaction score
Otherwise its so many steps to email a google group of contact checking off all contacts to view by group sending the email then selecting ll contacts again. right?

thanks

Many times you may want to exclude several contacts from a given group.
The group is to prevent you having to wade through your whole contact list as well as catagorize contacts so you can remember who is attached to what catagory.

I see your point, but a simple 'select all button" within a group would do the same thing.

cyberhap

Reaction score
I have aContacts installed and it does everything Google's Contacts does, plus allow group lookup, add contact/remove contact to groups, etc. It writes the group changes back to Google Contacts online.

I also use Handcent to compose messages based on those groups. Seems to be working great.

Hope this helps :)

windstrings

Reaction score
I have aContacts installed and it does everything Google's Contacts does, plus allow group lookup, add contact/remove contact to groups, etc. It writes the group changes back to Google Contacts online.

I also use Handcent to compose messages based on those groups. Seems to be working great.

\

Acontacts says it has issues with Android 2.0 so I haven't tried it. Plus some have has issues with it randomely deleting all the contacts... that would stink since it would then sync with Google and you would lose them there too.... "hopefully you had an SD backup and it actually works to import them back"

I too am using Handcent and I just downloaded the group creator....

I'm trying to figure out a way to not only send to just a group.. but pick and choose who to send to in that group?

With handcent, it give you a choice only when that particular contact has more than one telephone number as its asking you which to send to, but it assumes all those contacts with only one number assisgned to them that you want to send to them so it doesn't give you a choice?

I put a request into handcent... would be nice to have a "select all" option in conjuction with it asking you for each contact or at least giving you the option to check each person "if" that select all option is not chosen.

Last edited:

Qreaigh

Reaction score
on the droid it has different groups listed how do you get your contacts in to the groups

windstrings

Reaction score
on the droid it has different groups listed how do you get your contacts in to the groups

I had to go online in my google account.....go to contacts, from there you can manipulate them how you want... so far, I'm still looking for a good way to do it from the phone too.

Qreaigh

Reaction score

acontacts says its not fully compatible with 2.0 have you had any issues

Last edited:

MrTommy

Reaction score
still messing with groups

I just got my Droid yesterday. I'm reading the downloaded manual and found the page where it says "You can put your Contacts into groups that you create (like “friends”, “family”, or “work”). Then, you can find contacts faster by showing one group at a time."

Great. Only it doesn't explain how to DO that. I've been trying to find on the phone where it allows me that option. I've read this thread and I'm still befuddled. I just want to be able to single out a few (less than 10) numbers that I call regularly all day long. And texting and sending vids and pictures too. :icon_eek: Am I missing something simple? And if it's something that has to be done via the Gmail account, I'm wondering why the manual doesn't go into detail on that.