Unable to install GAPPS

shantis212

Reaction score
Previously on my motorola droid, I had cyanogenmod 6.1.2 running fine. While trying other roms, something has gone wrong with my phone and I am no longer able to install gapps. This is true when trying to reinstall the stable version of 6.1.2 with the appropriate gapp file, and with 7 rc 2 with the corresponding gapp file.

For the first scenario the progress bar proceeds about 90% and then pauses. Afterward it says install was complete but this is not true. In the second scenario the bar proceeds maybe 5% and then says it has completed. In both cases after booting up not all of the apps are installed. The market missing is big since I can't download the other apps.

I've been sure to wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvic-cache. I've also followed the directions to get the phone back to stock using the sbf. After rooting the phone again and trying to install 6.1.2, I still am unable to install gapps.

I am currently running Project Elite v4.2. This is fine, but I would like to know what may be the cause for my problems. Any advice would be great.

I've never wiped data after installing. I'm assuming you don't mean the "wipe data/factory reset" option inside of clockwork recovery. But I could be wrong. Am I supposed to do that after installing a rom? I don't recall seeing that in any instructions that I've found.

If I am to wipe data somewhere else, I'd be happy to try if you can provide some instruction.

based on those directions, i'm not wiping data after installation at all. either way i followed them as written, and still no luck.

would it be better if i posted this in the rescue squad forum?

Yes, I'm sure it is a good GApps file. I've tried the same one I used originally, re-downloading them, and downloading directly from rom manager. I know of one other instance of the same problem. Unfortunately that person has been able to find an answer to issue either. Thanks for your assistance.

Previously on my motorola droid, I had cyanogenmod 6.1.2 running fine. While trying other roms, something has gone wrong with my phone and I am no longer able to install gapps. This is true when trying to reinstall the stable version of 6.1.2 with the appropriate gapp file, and with 7 rc 2 with the corresponding gapp file.

For the first scenario the progress bar proceeds about 90% and then pauses. Afterward it says install was complete but this is not true. In the second scenario the bar proceeds maybe 5% and then says it has completed. In both cases after booting up not all of the apps are installed. The market missing is big since I can't download the other apps.

I've been sure to wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvic-cache. I've also followed the directions to get the phone back to stock using the sbf. After rooting the phone again and trying to install 6.1.2, I still am unable to install gapps.

I am currently running Project Elite v4.2. This is fine, but I would like to know what may be the cause for my problems. Any advice would be great.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Do you wipe data after installing? vending.apk might be in data.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Try this in recovery
1. Wipe data
2. Wipe data
3. Format System
4. Install rom
5. Install GAPPS

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can ask a mod to move it if you want...are you sure you're using a good GAPPS file? Open it as an archive with 7zip, look through the folders and see if everythings there

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Merged and moved to correct area, Please refrain from cross posting.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
It sounds like you used rom manager to download the rom and gapps for you. Not recomended. Open rom manager, then hit menu, then clear download cache. Now only use rom manager to flash custom recoveries, maybe a kernel here and there and to automate you backups/restores.

Otherwise, download the rom and gapps with your computer, transfer them to your sdcard and then use basically the method titans outlined.

But what he means in his step 1 and 2 is use the wipe data/factory reset option while booted into clockworkmod recovery. I only do it once, the theory of multiples still excapes me. Do we need to format our hard drive twice when installing a fresh OS? Also, while the format system is a great idea, that is one of the first endian commands in the updater-script file that installs almost every rom developed, including CM.

good luck

OP
S

shantis212

Reaction score
I've only tried rom manager as a last chance effort, it's a lot easier to just download on my computer and transfer the files over.

I moved from RZR-SPR to Clockwork Recovery to see if that would change anything. Might as well try different things to see if i can narrow down the issue. Since it hasn't, I've moved back to RZR-SPR.

I still don't know what exactly is wrong, but I've gone ahead and tried installing other roms, to see what the various outcomes would be. It appears the only ones my phone has issues with, are the ones that require GApps be installed separately, ie. cyanogen and sourcery. Project Elite and Chevy's roms install just fine.

OP
S

shantis212

Reaction score
That is where I go to download them too. It isn't a bad zip file. I wouldn't have posted if it was that simple. Thanks for trying.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm going to recommend you install SPRecovery with the recovery-only SBF and try renaming the files update.zip to install them. If you still have a problem at that point we know it's either the downloads (not likely) or your phone.

OP
S

shantis212

Reaction score
just to clarify, you mean this file?
MC1_A855_1282081087_Recovery-Only_SPRecovery_0.99.3b.sbf

would you like to start from the beginning with the sbf below?
VZW_A855_ESD20_QSC6085BP_C_01.3B.01P_SW_UPDATE.sbf

1. vzw sbf
2. mc1 sbf
3. wipe factory reset/data/cache, etc
4. install cyan 6.1.2 as update.zip
5. install gapps as update.zip

is that how you would like it done?