um yeah, about 4.5.588....... (issues!)

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
So I got the "root package" set of three downloads to upgrade from froyo to ginberbread (http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/...erbread-2-3-3-4-5-588-install-patch-root.html) .... And anyone else experience a sense of Motorola locking down more than ever before? Here's what I've experienced thusfar:

1. Barnacle Wi-Fi Tether is detected by the phone as Mobile Hotspot (I get the "Tethering or Mobile Hotspot Active" notification) and 3G disconnects and reconnects under the dun, rendering barnacle useless despite root access.

2. QPST editing won't work anymore so there's no editing out the "dun." (some of you know what I'm taking about, some won't)

3. I used fission ROM Manager to install some things, like the microbes live wallpaper, and now my phone won't boot, it just loop-restarts to the red M logo.... sensitive bootloader much?

All the above worked on Froyo...

So yeah, anyone else here have any or all of these problems? Any solutions out there?

froyli

Reaction score
Titanium backup wont get root

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

91LudeSiT

Reaction score
Whoa, looks like I'll be staying on gummyjar. I am so ready to toss this phone in the trash and go back to my OG Droid.

turdbogls

Reaction score
So I got the "root package" set of three downloads to upgrade from froyo to ginberbread (DroidX Gingerbread 2.3.3(4.5.588) Install Patch with Root) .... And anyone else experience a sense of Motorola locking down more than ever before? Here's what I've experienced thusfar:

1. Barnacle Wi-Fi Tether is detected by the phone as Mobile Hotspot (I get the "Tethering or Mobile Hotspot Active" notification) and 3G disconnects and reconnects under the dun, rendering barnacle useless despite root access.

from what i am hearing, any unauthorized tethering will be penalized by verizon (or any other carrier by any brand of phone) not to be a "D" but you brought this on yourself (with the help of every one else that does tethering without a tethering plan) stop illegally tethering, or expect to get charged for it.

2. QPST editing won't work anymore so there's no editing out the "dun." (some of you know what I'm taking about, some won't)
Huh? lol

3. I used fission ROM Manager to install some things, like the microbes live wallpaper, and now my phone won't boot, it just loop-restarts to the red M logo.... sensitive bootloader much?
interesting, have you just installed the .apk from the web somewhere?
also, the bootloop usually only loops to the "Droid" text and not the M logo. first time i have ever heard of that. Weird

All the above worked on Froyo...
if this is really that important to you, go back to froyo. just realize you will be getting charged for tethering...maybe not at first, but sooner or later VZW will hit you with a pretty big fee

So yeah, anyone else here have any or all of these problems? Any solutions out there?

Whoa, looks like I'll be staying on gummyjar. I am so ready to toss this phone in the trash and go back to my OG Droid.
please send you perfectly fine phone to me B4 sending it to the trash. i have a nice home for it in my pocket.

turdbogls

Reaction score
Titanium backup wont get root

others have gotten root. are other root programs getting root access? have you installed busybox? busybox is necessary for TiB to get root access.

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
My Titanium has root. I only have two issues with GB

1. Wifi Tether starts the 3g Hotspot app, even though the 3g hotspot app is disabled in its configuration

2. sometimes when i hold menu to bring up recent apps, clicking one of the apps shown tells me "application is not installed" even though it clearly is.

A

abn75

Wonder if the tether issue is baked into the rom itself in a attempt to stop the unpaid tethering.

Sent from my DX running. DS V4.2

teh_g

Reaction score
1. Don't steal from Verizon
2. ?
3. Are the things you tried to install from Fission Gingerbread compatible? I know a lot of apps have been pushing updates due to issues with GB (Vignette comes to mind immediately)

I have no problems with TB, I can uninstall system apps and freeze just fine. Perhaps you got a bad install? Did you guys that are having problems follow the steps?

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I installed this version of GB, with the 3 ZIP files. I booted and everything is rooted, and the WiFi tether app that I installed months ago, still works fine. I don't really use it, as it is more for emergencies, but I did test it and it works fine, no patches needed.

I have used several other apps that require root and they all work. Removed bloat, etc...

When you did the flash with the Bootstrap app, did you make sure to use the one for the Droid2 and not Droid X?

TeeX

Reaction score

I don't use the tethering app, so I really don't care one way or another, but I don't see how you can call it "stealing". If someone is paying $30 a month for UNLIMITED data, how is using it to tether stealing?

Sometimes I take things too literally, but paying for unlimited data, one should be able to receive their data...... unlimited.

just sayin'.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow this is basically just another thread for people to announce there right to tether, with a different name. OMG I Can't use my phone that I got at a discounted price with a contract to do things that violate my tos and in the end did screw all of us. So thanks to all you tether happy people, truly thank you.

TeeX

Reaction score
Wow this is basically just another thread for people to announce there right to tether, with a different name. OMG I Can't use my phone that I got at a discounted price with a contract to do things that violate my tos and in the end did screw all of us. So thanks to all you tether happy people, truly thank you.

Did you miss the part where I said that I didn't tether?

sheesh.

froyli

Reaction score
Busybox freezes after allowing root access titanium. Backup also freeze after allowing root access DROID x overclock also freezes after allowing root access anyone else getting this ?? Its really annoying and I did factory reset and went back to froyo and reinstalled again

BodyBagz

Reaction score

I don't use the tethering app, so I really don't care one way or another, but I don't see how you can call it "stealing". If someone is paying $30 a month for UNLIMITED data, how is using it to tether stealing?

Sometimes I take things too literally, but paying for unlimited data, one should be able to receive their data...... unlimited.
just sayin'.

What everyone fails to remember, is that you are not paying $30 a month for Unlimited Data on Unlimited Devices...you are paying for Unlimited Data for your Mobile/Cellular Device...and thats the key.

Just because you are trafficking the data through your cell phone to your laptop/X-Box/PS3 or whatever, does not negate the fact that it is not the actual phone doing the data use...for which you pay the additional $30 a month...