Two bricked razr's in less then 24hour

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
You know, I could also see Advanced Task Killer being an issue as well. I had this app on my Droid 2 Global, and if you have it kill the wrong tasks, it could easily screw up your phone. It killed my stock music player after it ran for 3 minutes. I had to FDR my phone to get it to stop even after uninstalling the app. I'll stick to the default task manager to kill apps.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The 3rd one just showed up, going to take it to verizon tonight and hope this one works.

I would suggest that before you start loading the unit with apps just simply run it stock for a few days and see if in fact it continues to perform normally.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You know, I could also see Advanced Task Killer being an issue as well. I had this app on my Droid 2 Global, and if you have it kill the wrong tasks, it could easily screw up your phone. It killed my stock music player after it ran for 3 minutes. I had to FDR my phone to get it to stop even after uninstalling the app. I'll stick to the default task manager to kill apps.

Great point and I'm sorry I completely overlooked it, thanks for the advice.

OP
onelowbirD68

onelowbirD68

Reaction score
FoxKat said:
I would suggest that before you start loading the unit with apps just simply run it stock for a few days and see if in fact it continues to perform normally.

Thats the plan, thanks for your time and help. I will update later on with my results.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
We'll be watching! :icon_ devil:

georgeo18yal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I've been lurking this thread and I have to say, two bricked phones in less than a day, I think you have a talent at killing any cell phone within your grasp. Use this power wisely, and on people you don't like of course. That just wouldn't be fun at all.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Glad to hear. Let's give it a chance to continue to prove itself. Run it like this for a couple days. If it continues to perform normally then I'd consider starting to install apps, one at a time and let it run for a while with each, till you're sure it's stable.

OP
onelowbirD68

onelowbirD68

Reaction score
When I start to put apps on again. What task mananger should I get? Yall said that advanced task mananger could be bad.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Don't use a task manager at all, but if you feel you must, use only the one that comes pre installed.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
How do you kill apps and speed up your phone when it runs slo?

Many things contribute to a phone running "slow" or choppy, but some things are more obvious than others. For instance, a simple reboot will often resolve all lagging operation. In fact, Motorola actually suggests you reboot the phone once each day at the start of the day to give yourself a fresh start.
  • Installing a large quantity of apps will consume more memory, which requires more CPU time to keep the ram refreshed.
  • Lots of applications install services that may run in the background, or may simply sit in a TSR (Terminate Stay Ready) state, either way gumming up the works. Take a look under application manager to see what services are running and you may find some for applications you don't often (or ever) use. If you do, uninstall the application to prevent them from starting up, or kill the services ONCE and see if they resume. Many will only start up again if you open the application.
  • Running lots of widgets will have considerable impact on performance.
  • Running a Live Wallpaper, although neat and entertaining is also a power and CPU suck.
  • Your browser is a multiple window browser. What you may not realize is that you can potentially have many windows open at once, and they are all using up precious system resources. Make sure to close windows in the browser that you don't need open anymore.
  • Setting the system to use all animations for screen changes and such will slow operation.
  • Background data access from things such as weather apps, social networking, photo sync, email, Bluetooth file transfer server, Data transfer server, Push to Talk, Skype, Tango, ooVoo, Qik, Fring, Gtalk, Yahoo Messenger, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and the list goes on and on, all will impact performance.
  • Playing music or video while performing other tasks (multitasking with media), will have huge impact on performance.
  • Running a Task Manager and killing apps (especially system level apps and services), will both rob you of battery power since often times these apps simply keep reloading, and also cause performance hits as they restart over and over. It takes more CPU cycles per second to initiate an application than it does to run it in most cases.
  • Running a personal assistant such as IRIS, EVA, SKYVI, Assistant, Omega, Aran, Risi, Voice Actions Plus, etc., often keep a running service that monitors things such as sound, camera, proximity sensor, motion sensors, or other forms of haptic input to determine if you are needing their assistance. These will rob your CPU of precious cycles for other purposes.
There are lots of other things that can slow the phone down, such as cache overruns. Clearing the cache for individual applications, as well as clearing the phone's cache will hit the performance immediately since the phone then has to repopulate the cache, but in a very short time once it's populated with the most important needed pieces of code, the phone will run quicker again.

Android is an efficient manager of storage space and will kill apps on its own if it reaches a level of available ram that is too low for immediate demands, so it's usually best to leave the phone to manage the running apps and services.

I'll stop here. I'm sure there will be others who will chime in, some may disagree with things I have said, and that's OK. It's what works best for each individual that makes the most sense, but some may have additional ideas I haven't pulled from my gray matter in this post.

OP
onelowbirD68

onelowbirD68

Reaction score
Thank you, that helps alot. When I got my first Verizon phone, the sells lady put A.T.M. On it. I have just all ways put it on any new phone.

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
ATM is probably one of the most dangerous apps out there. You kill one wrong task, and your whole phone goes crazy. I'm lucky I only messed up my music player and was able to fix it by doing a FDR. Word of advice: don't take advice from Verizon sales people. Lol