Maps and Navigation Gone?

2razrmaxx

Reaction score
It's no biggie until you try using the new maps app. When they make things more complicated and take away features it's a little hard to understand someone's idea of improvement. Update for the sake of update. Microsoft does this to make you buy the newer version of office or windows. I don't know why google would inflict this update on us unless they are working toward a paid app.

I have not had any problems using the app...its moved around a bit but again...no biggie

Razrhead

Reaction score
Down the road I guess we may not have a choice but to accept the new version. To me the new version is not driver friendly. As you say, things have been moved around a bit. I still wonder about the logic behind the redesign.

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I tried to use the new Maps this past Monday morning, and this is when I noticed it had changed. Really, what the &%##, Google? This is NOT driver friendly. I have no idea how to find "Home" on this new layout and by default, my destination is Beijing, China, which is pretty interesting, considering I live in Southern California. It's a bit hard to drive over the ocean, ya think? Not too many of us own our own private ferry.

On a similar note, I use Car Home Ultra. I looked at it and noticed I still have the blue arrow as one of my icons. It links me to Maps.

In fact, nothing is driver friendly anymore, and you practically have to use a Stylus to tap everything on screen since the ICS update. I'm at least lucky I have an old APK file for Pandora that has Gingerbread Style buttons.

I think I'll be using Waze until Google gets its act together and puts Navigation back.

I'm not impressed with Google, lately. It started with the new Google Play store look. Supposedly, it's more finger friendly, but I can't see app detail as well, nor can I set a filter to view only reviews with the same phone I have.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I tried to use the new Maps this past Monday morning, and this is when I noticed it had changed. Really, what the &%##, Google? This is NOT driver friendly. I have no idea how to find "Home" on this new layout and by default, my destination is Beijing, China, which is pretty interesting, considering I live in Southern California. It's a bit hard to drive over the ocean, ya think? Not too many of us own our own private ferry.

On a similar note, I use Car Home Ultra. I looked at it and noticed I still have the blue arrow as one of my icons. It links me to Maps.

In fact, nothing is driver friendly anymore, and you practically have to use a Stylus to tap everything on screen since the ICS update. I'm at least lucky I have an old APK file for Pandora that has Gingerbread Style buttons.

I think I'll be using Waze until Google gets its act together and puts Navigation back.

I'm not impressed with Google, lately. It started with the new Google Play store look. Supposedly, it's more finger friendly, but I can't see app detail as well, nor can I set a filter to view only reviews with the same phone I have.

I uninstalled the Maps app update and it works great in the dock again. Yes, my Maps app is now the older version....but my phone works in my car dock and that's more important to me.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I love the new Google Maps update. Navigation is built into the app now. No need to open a separate app for navigation. Not sure why everyone here is so upset.

Razrhead

Reaction score
I love the new Google Maps update. Navigation is built into the app now. No need to open a separate app for navigation. Not sure why everyone here is so upset.

I think a more apt description for the new Maps would be "Navigation is now hidden inside of Maps". Once you do find Navigation you can't get to contacts and you have to do several taps on different buttons to finally start navigating.

Last edited:

akenhart

Reaction score
Personally I was very happy with my blue button and all the capabilities. It just seems the new version is not as handy. Voice speak destination was a favorite along with estimated travel time along with the updated time as you traveled. These things may be in the new version but it seems I'll have to jump through some hoops if I can find these things. A nice you tube or google video would be helpful for the new version.

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I never had any use for Maps. I always went to Navigation. For me, Google went bass ackwards.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

I thought the new Maps update was OK...until I put my phone in my car dock. It was not dock friendly, so I uninstalled the update. Calls & texts didn't work right, etc. Personal choice...not saying everyone should do that. I just like my phone to work in my car dock.

Krenzy

Reaction score
I tired using the new Maps yesterday and I'm not impressed. They took away the blue line on the road to show you where you're going, as well as the next upcoming turn and road number thing. Luckily I found out that if you input your destination into Google Now, you get the previous Navigation style experience. I'll be using that instead of Maps from now on.

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I tired using the new Maps yesterday and I'm not impressed. They took away the blue line on the road to show you where you're going, as well as the next upcoming turn and road number thing. Luckily I found out that if you input your destination into Google Now, you get the previous Navigation style experience. I'll be using that instead of Maps from now on.

I did a FDR on my phone and Navigation came back. I also reinstalled the GO Launcher EX (Previously tried Nova, then Apex). Not sure if that had anything to do with it. Maybe my phone hadn't run the update yet which deleted Navigation and integrated it into Maps...possibly.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I did a FDR on my phone and Navigation came back. I also reinstalled the GO Launcher EX (Previously tried Nova, then Apex). Not sure if that had anything to do with it. Maybe my phone hadn't run the update yet which deleted Navigation and integrated it into Maps...possibly.

The FDR reverted the Maps app back to factory version, that's why you have the blue Nav arrow (app). If the Maps app updates on your phone, you will have the new version, without the seperate Nav app.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2