turn off data?

Reaction score
How can I turn off data on my rooted 2.1 moto droid? it seems to be using large amounts of data when my phone is idle... in excess of 500mb overnight at times...

Nothing running so idk what it could be other than maybe searching for signal...

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Only by putting the phone in Airplane mode. Why would you care how much data you download? It will cost the same if you download 5 kilobytes, or 5 terabytes...

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You have no 5gb limit, read your contract. A Droid will not activate on the VZW network without an unlimited data plan.

junpar

Reaction score
the 5gb limit was removed when Verizon lowered the price of their unlimited calling and texting plans are few months back.

OP
P
Reaction score
When did Verizon's unlimited stop being a 5gb limit... unlimited has been 5gb for years

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh seriously, ill tether away then, thanks

Unlimited being unlimited data to the phone. Tethering is still against the terms of service, and VZW has the right to charge you for every Mb you tether.

I wont get into this. If you want to view the dead horse and the sticks we beat it with, then do a search on tethering.

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm using.g free tethering so how would they even know? I'm not doing any massive stuff... just browsing net and stuff 100-200mb a day when I use it except for we is eating up my data at home when my phone is idle

pyro6128

Reaction score
Yea this has been covered plenty of times. Our data is unlimited on our PHONES, not for tethering. That being said, thats weird that you phone is using that much data without you doing anything. Did you receive the 2.1 update or did you use a rom to update to 2.1. Your phone might be continuously downloading the update. Theres a thread floating around about how this occurs and could be decreasing your battery as well.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm using.g free tethering so how would they even know? I'm not doing any massive stuff... just browsing net and stuff 100-200mb a day when I use it except for we is eating up my data at home when my phone is idle

I'm not gonna go there, just telling you the facts. You can look up the details on your own.

OP
P
Reaction score
I received 2.1 ota then rooted my phone... when I goto system update it has the update there and Just now I've noticed its stuck in a downloading state...

Any idea on the location of that thread, that might b my problem

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's likely your problem, but I dont know where the thread is. I know it's been around in the last 2 days, but that's the best I can offer. You may consider starting a new thread regarding the update getting stuck...