How to turn off 3G Only, leaving data ON?

Coccobarocco

Reaction score
I have a limited data plan on my Motorola Droid (not rooted, 50MB/month). I'd like to save the data for when I really need it, and force the phone use only WiFi for data. I have a widget that turns data off entirely, but it's annoying because it won't use WiFi either so when I get to an open WiFi source or get back home, I have to remember to turn data back on.

I'd prefer to just turn of 3G yet have the phone use data ALL the time. If there's a WiFi network it remembers and connects to it, it should just work as normal. If there's no WiFi and 3G is off, nothing will happen (i.e. no data synching). If there's no WiFi and I manually turn 3G on (say I urgently need to navigate when I'm on the go and there's no available WiFi, I'll sacrifice some of my data plan) then it should use data over 3G.

Any app that helps me do that? Do I have to root the phone? I'm on PagePlusCellular with no monthly contract so I am definitely willing to root the phone if that's the only solution.

Thanks folks!

GeLopez

Reaction score
i think some people are gonna get confuse by your post however i think i got it... :) you want to have control over the 3g connection right?

short answer: No such thing

disclamer: i will keep an eye on this because someone may have found something that i dont know to turn 3g off

OP
C

Coccobarocco

Reaction score
Haha sorry, I might've even confused myself trying to write that :D

Yeah, in short I want control over 3G, not "DATA" per se.
Hopefully somebody knows something, if at least to tell me that I have to root the phone and hack my own app to disable the 3G device.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
As stated I don't think there is a way to do this. However, I am interested in how you got a limited data plan? I did not know there was such an option. Details please.

OP
C

Coccobarocco

Reaction score

mikes

Reaction score
Even if you could turn off EV-DO ("3G"), I suspect the phone would continue to do data over 1xRTT.

nphil

Reaction score
Well there is a way to turn off 3G, dial *#*#INFO#*#*
Then Phone information>press the menu button> turn off data connection.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
As stated I don't think there is a way to do this. However, I am interested in how you got a limited data plan? I did not know there was such an option. Details please.

Don't know if it's cool to post a direct link, lemme know if not I'll remove it:

Prepaid Cell Phone Cards | Prepaid National Cell Phones

No contract, $29.95/month for 1200mins,1200txts,50mb data. Easy easy ;)

I don't see the Droid as a phone option. Do they use the Verizon network?

OP
C

Coccobarocco

Reaction score
Yeah, they use the Verizon network, and though the Droid is not on the phone-options list, it works just fine, 3G and everything. Only phones that don't work on PagePlus from what I hear are BlackBerries...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
IMHO the Droid or any other Android device is not a smart choice for use on a plan of this type due to the device being data heavy in anything it uses. I use on the average 250mb per day with my Droid....