Another 3G on/off question

ntellya

Reaction score
I'm a newbie, and I've been looking for an answer to this question for a few days. I recently purchased a Droid 2, and I wanted to commit myself to the least amount possible, so I went with the smallest data plan. I have wifi at home, and in many of the places that I'll be using it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wifi usage does not count toward the data plan. I may upgrade to the unlimited in the future. For now, I want to make sure that I don't get hit with huge data bills.
When I'm out of wifi range, I would like a simple app that turns the 3G off. I dialed the number to put the phone in test mode, so it no longer goes into 3g, but if I needed to get into 3g, I'm not sure that I could easily. It now says 1x, and still is updating frequently with email alerts. BTW, what is 1x? Is that using up voice time?
Here's what I want:
for the default to be wifi. After that, I want the phone to not be seeking out anything data wise. I could put it in wifi mode and have it never go out, but won't that drain the battery by having it constantly seek for a signal?
Thanks for any assistance. This forum is an awesome resource!

jaw4bama

Reaction score
WiFi will not use your usage, and to answer your other question- I have a Droid X and in my settings I go to "Data Manager->Data Delivery->and click make sure Data Enable over mobile network is not checked" I remember that when I had the Droid 1, it was under the setting "Wireless and network "
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
There are plenty of Data/APN widgets to quickly shut it off. My usage profile sounds identical to yours and I use the data widget included with Juice Defender but there are plenty stand alones. Search market for APN widget.

~ DroidForums.net App ~

OP
N

ntellya

Reaction score
Thank you

Thanks to both of you. The process works exactly like I wanted, and now that I know the name of the type of widget that I want I can look for it!
I held onto my Treo 755p forever and knew it inside and out. It's frustrating to not know this phone, but exciting to see the beginning of all the possibilities of it. As a new novice, I appreciate the assistance both of you have offered.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Look around. :) You'll find after wasting a couple of weeks... Er, after spending a few days researching VERY carefully that you know more than you ever though possible about this new phone of yours.

:welcome: to the forum!

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
Keep in mind that you won't get picture messages without 3G. You also won't get them over wifi. If you're like me and you dont use them that won't be a big deal.