Battery and WiFi Question

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that there are two purposes for running WiFi: Avoiding data charges and faster download/upload speeds.

I'm already on an unlimited data plan and I get 5 bars from 3G so it runs pretty fast even without WiFi on. So by running WiFi arn't I just dragging the power out of the battery faster?

Probably a n00b question, may have been asked before. Thanks for your response. :)

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
As you have said there is no reason to bother with saving data charges since we pay one price for unlimited data. Wifi is good for two reason I can think of: 1) If you can't get a 3G signal where you are and 2) it is faster. Just like you I have never run into #1 and 3G is plenty fast for me so I always leave WiFi off to conserve battery life. It is just a matter of preference though.

CDB

Reaction score
At my house, my WiFi is a lot faster than what I get from 3G, so I prefer to use it. Yes, it does suck the battery down quicker than strictly using 3G. Another 'advantage' is that you'd be able to make a call and surf the net at the same time if you were on WiFi...can't on 3G.