High power consumption in VZW extended area (Droid2)

Lenagainster

Reaction score
We frequently stay in a campground in western MD which is an extended area for Verizon coverage. We only get 1x service. The battery on our D2s dies in less than half the time that it does at home where we have 3G and WiFi (half day vs. full day or more). I'm not sure if the high battery consumption is due to a weaker signal (voice coverage is satisfactory) with the phone putting out more power to communicate with the more distant towers, or the phone is constantly looking for 3G coverage.
(Our PRL is always updated)
If the power drain is due to weaker signals, I guess there is not much we can do about it. But if it has something to do with the phone looking for 3G, is there some way we can turn that function off, and just use 1x while we are in the extended area?
I tried an app called Quick Settings and it messed up our phones by not allowing the phone to automatically switch from WiFi to 3G in our home area. Is there a setting to temporarily turn 3G off manually?
Thanks for any advice.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Turn off mobile data. You'll lose 1x but still be able to make & receive calls & text.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Weaker signal means the phone works harder to find a usable connection.

loki993

Reaction score
Turn off mobile data. You'll lose 1x but still be able to make & receive calls & text.

Never tried that when I was in Kansas so I dont kow if that works or not.

I had a weak signal when I lived in Kansas. It would kill my battery in the BB in a day without making any calls.

If I made a call? Maybe 1.5 hours talk time and that was with a full battery.

OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I guess I could do that and just turn it back on again when we want to do something with the phone that requires data; checking the weather, news, etc.