Looking for a GPS "Time Out" App

EbE404

Reaction score
OK, folks. Searches turn up nothing, so I'm looking for ideas here.

I work in a building with some pretty cavernous areas. I have Beautiful Widgets and have the GPS turned on for location based weather updates (handy in my neck of the woods). The problem is, if I disappear into the labs for any extended amount of time and forget to turn the GPS off, my battery, of course, completely tanks very quickly, since the GPS is frantically searching for a signal and never finds one.

So, what I'm looking for is a way to manage that. What had occurred to me as a rather clever idea would be some kind of "time out" app, where, if the GPS searches for a signal for a set amount of time, say 10 minutes, and doesn't find one, it just turns off.

Of course, I'd be happy to take any other suggestions on how other folks are dealing with this as well.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
With the cell network, you should be able to get a pretty good lock on the local weather. It's more likely than not that the cell tower you're connected to is experiencing the same weather that you are. I know it's not ideal, but if I were you, I'd just shut off GPS.

However, I do like the idea of a GPS timeout for certain apps.

OP
EbE404

EbE404

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree it's generally better to try to avoid the GPS in situations like this. However, I've noticed BW just doesn't seem to update that well when not using GPS. I have been playing with the settings to see if I can improve it. Maybe it's just me and how I have it set up.

I still would like to find something that can do this "time out" function, as there are other apps that can create similar issues if left running.