Turn off 4G

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
My best guess would be that Verizon disabled that code on later phones, as they disabled some of the other codes too.

qurk

Reaction score
It was amazingly easy to turn off 4G, but it didn't save a whole lot of battery. My main caveat was why have 4g when you can download your whole 300 meg allowance in 2 hours? Anyways I downloaded an app called "LTE On/Off" google play link, and you just use the toggle to switch it to "CDMA auto (PRL)". Bingo! you are in 3g! and if you want 4g you run it and set it to "LTE/CDMA/EvDo" and then you are back in 4g. But why run 4g if you download **** so fast. I went a little over so I upgraded from 300megs to 1000 for 10 bucks more, but verizon are a bunch of bully's advertising that you can download your entire allowance unless you pay us for more! If you want to save battery get Juice Defender and keep your screen turned off. My Droid 4 has easily lasted 24 hours with that running....on days I don't have screen on much.

One of the things Juice Defender does is shut off the 3g/4g connection entirely while your screen is off....so no it won't update your facebook or your rss feeds, but on the other hand that radio is shut off. You still can receive texts and calls. I intend to shell out the cash so I can tweak it but the free version works very good.

I'm pretty sure the battery lasts longer when I turn off volume/vibration but that is ancedotal and I have no proof.

My only complaint is that when I get a call the screen turns on...and stays on...sucking battery 15x faster. Still wondering how I can keep my phone from turning on the screen when I get a call.

diablo81588

Reaction score
I would not use juice defender on 4g phones. It tends to cause hand off issues and might take awhile for data to come back.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
obogobo

obogobo

Reaction score
Is there any way have the Network Type persist on reboot? I'd like to keep mine on 3G indefinitely, even though I'm grandfathered into unlimited data because the battery life sucks so bad.
When I turn off 4G my phone will at least make it though an entire day... which saved a bunch of my friends last night at a concert. We would have been screwed if my phone died in NYC.
I really appreciate the timely advice about the 4g On/Off app GigaJake and lloydstrans

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
After boot you have to reset it back to 3g, an ice cream sandwich thingy. I also leave mine on 3g

davidgro

Reaction score
Is there any way have the Network Type persist on reboot?

After setting it to CDMA auto (PRL), go to the regular System Settings, More..., Mobile Networks.

That's it, just viewing that screen causes it to persist somehow.
Probably because it reads the setting to show "Prefered network mode: CDMA only" and then writes it somewhere.

EDIT: Also, long ago I made a review about this on the app's market page, please find it and mark as helpful if you can. (It's now listed as by "A Google User")