Turn off 3G?

mapexvenus

Reaction score
Is there any way I can turn off 3G to conserve my battery? I do not want to switch to airplane mode since I still want to be able to use the phone and receive push email.

J

JohnDroid

Is there any way I can turn off 3G to conserve my battery? I do not want to switch to airplane mode since I still want to be able to use the phone and receive push email.

3G should save battery over using the older technology. So short of turning off the cell signal entirely, the answer is no.

hendrix

Reaction score
Verizons cdma network is not setup this way. If you don't have 3g then the only way you get data is over a connection slower than dial up. Not very usable unfortunatly and verizon has no 2g so we cannot fall back to that. Sorry

Jef

Reaction score
Actually, There is 2g

That 1x you might see in the status bar is CDMA's RXTT1x which is 2g(ish).

see if you can turn off EVDO in the program menu I believe ##PROGRAM and then 000000

I can't find a setting for it, but maybe if you lower the data rates it will stick to 1x?

interesting there is a symmetrical 153/153 as the last choice.

Woolox

Reaction score
I work in Washington and live in Canada. My plan covers all calls within North America so I can call to Canada from the States and vice versa. My data is unlimited in the States, but I have to pay when I am in Canada. My plan is to turn off 3G and just use WiFi when I am in Canada for my data so I don't get the roaming charges. How do I turn off the 3G and will this accomplish what I want to do?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
As far as turning off 3g goes, the only certain way to turn it off is airplane mode.

I've tried many different apps to try and turn it off, but they don't turn them off.

I'm new to the data plan and I plan on going to Canada in the spring, I wouldn't want any roaming charges. I don't even know how roaming charges really work to be honest....

someone wanna fill me in =P

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Guys,

there is a simple way to conserve battery and turn off 3G

Goto Settings > Wireless > Mobile Networks and check the 2G only box.

This has the following result. Your Network is ONLY operating on gprs or EDGE, and there is no parallel connection for Phone calls AND data at the same time.But, it really conserves battery.
I have 2g always....except when surfing in the train. or googlin stuff.

It works perfect for me ;)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Guys,

there is a simple way to conserve battery and turn off 3G

Goto Settings > Wireless > Mobile Networks and check the 2G only box.

This has the following result. Your Network is ONLY operating on gprs or EDGE, and there is no parallel connection for Phone calls AND data at the same time.But, it really conserves battery.
I have 2g always....except when surfing in the train. or googlin stuff.

It works perfect for me ;)

Don't see this one the Droid.

Only thing that pops up is "Data roaming" and "System Select"

When selecting "data roaming" you get a warning message "allow data roaming? you may incur significant roaming charges!" By default, this box is unchecked, unless I unchecked it and forgot i did...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

3G should save battery over using the older technology. So short of turning off the cell signal entirely, the answer is no.

I'm gonna agree with JohnDroid. 3g isn't actually really draining the battery unless it's in use. I mean yeah it's always on standby, but majority of the time it's the display that eats at the battery than when you're not using your data.

So basically, at least the solution so far is, to either turn it off, or run in airplane mode (which you might as well save more battery and turn it off), but I use it as an alarm clock, so I go to airplane mode sometimes. I got friends who like to hang out at say 3am, and I don't wanna deal with that, so airplane mode it is.

Woolox

Reaction score
As far as turning off 3g goes, the only certain way to turn it off is airplane mode.

I've tried many different apps to try and turn it off, but they don't turn them off.

I'm new to the data plan and I plan on going to Canada in the spring, I wouldn't want any roaming charges. I don't even know how roaming charges really work to be honest....

someone wanna fill me in =P
When you come to Canada, you will want to turn off your 3G at the border to avoid any

roaming data charges on top of your current plan. That is what I am trying to figure out is

what is the best way to do that? You can surf, email, use the internet, etc. using WiFi at

a coffee shop or McDonald's if you need to and not have to pay roaming data charges.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Can't believe how useless data plans are out of state. I won't be able to check email or other things on the fly because of roaming charges. I know roaming can get very expensive and don't want to risk the chance. Droid only functions as a phone outside of the state for me i guess...

Woolox

Reaction score
Can't believe how useless data plans are out of state. I won't be able to check email or other things on the fly because of roaming charges. I know roaming can get very expensive and don't want to risk the chance. Droid only functions as a phone outside of the state for me i guess...
I thought that Verizon only offered nationwide plans? I can use my phone anywhere in North America and the data plan in the United States without any roaming or extra charges.