Turn off 3G?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Also an app called APN that has a widget to toggle 3G on/off.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Guys,

there is a simple way to conserve battery and turn off 3G

Goto Settings > Wireless > Mobile Networks and check the 2G only box.

This has the following result. Your Network is ONLY operating on gprs or EDGE, and there is no parallel connection for Phone calls AND data at the same time.But, it really conserves battery.
I have 2g always....except when surfing in the train. or googlin stuff.

It works perfect for me ;)

You're on a GSM network with the Milestone, the Droid operates on CDMA and can never be connected to data and phone at the same time.

ljprevo

Reaction score
Also if messing with the APN, you may want to get "APN Backup & Restore"

dmo580

Reaction score
I believe you ahve to dial a # command to turn off 3G. Some of the responses and the 2G to 3G widget is for the GSM Android. I have a Moto Milestone and I confirm I can turn off the 3G in the network settings.

Verizon doesn't really let you do this. You can do it in the phone though I believe. This was discussed in the forum before (I read it as I was searchign for a solution for my Milestone). As for the guy who says 3G should save battery... uh. I highly doubt that. I'm not gonna say it's flat out untrue, but for us GSM users, when on 3G, you use far more battery. This was Apple's argument in the iPhone 2G, and this has been my personal experience on my Milestone when switching off 3G....

jd777

Reaction score
YES THERE IS A WAY (contrary to all the posters here)

It's fairly simple...

You can turn off the 3G on a Droid 2 phone by deactivating to "CDMA only."

#1] on your phone dial keypad enter: *#*#4635#*#*
(4635 = the word "info" on keypad)

#2] this will immediately take you into "test mode." select "Phone Information"

#3] scroll down to "Set Preferred Network Type" and change "CDMA auto (PRL)" to "CDMA only"

Boom. You're done. (remember this and you can go back and change it).

ON ANOTHER NOTE: I found this out by simply Googling it and testing it. The thing is,... like most support forums or even "ask.com" type sites there are always a hundred people who don't have a single clue and place "guesstimates" that throw people off. They are the ones who start by saying "well uh....i don't know for sure but.... i think" or "i don't think...." if that's you, then just a quick note to you....STOP IT. unless you know, keep away from the keyboard, no matter hooooooowwww helpful you think you will be. You make people go through a ton of different hoops and wrong assumptions. And even in this case of THIS THREAD....not a single right answer (and even an ADMINISTRATOR put his two WRONG cents in...) UNBELIEVABLE. UNLESS YOU KNOW, KEEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD. keep your "guesses" and "theories" and let the people who are trying to get answers HAVE REAL ANSWERS.

googlelover

Reaction score
Well actually its quite easy... go to the wireless and networks settings, then go down to the bottom and click on mobile networks and uncheck the data enabled box.. no need to type in fancy codes or anything like that.. its really easy and i am amazed no one here noticed that.
PS for the person who posted above me please dont post in several month old threads.

jd777

Reaction score
uh...hi googlelover but your wrong.

Dear Googlelover,

If you READ THE ENTIRE thread you would have noticed that someone already posted your "quite easy" solution and the result was that the people who tried it found out that your "quite easy" solution doesn't work. Android 2.2 and the newest phones like the ONE I POSTED IN MY REPLY, THE DROID 2 and specifically those phones have a different option. For those of us who have the new phones all we see when we try your "quite easy" solution is a dropdown menu that only allows two options "HOME ONLY" or "AUTOMATIC." but you would have known that if you READ THE ENTIRE THREAD.

and also, FYI....the thing about posting in "older threads".....what are you talking about?? this is the most prominent thread that comes up when anyone searches or googles "turning off 3G on droid," so posting here would mean that my reply would be seen faster and prominently for anyone looking for an answer.

please don't be that person who posts new threads on the SAME TOPIC and therefore finding a solution means you have to read and sift through a 100 other threads. think about it..... so "old" or not, posting here simply puts an answer in the forefront to those who search for "turning off 3G."

c'mon, seriously.....

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ON ANOTHER NOTE: I found this out by simply Googling it and testing it. The thing is,... like most support forums or even "ask.com" type sites there are always a hundred people who don't have a single clue and place "guesstimates" that throw people off. They are the ones who start by saying "well uh....i don't know for sure but.... i think" or "i don't think...." if that's you, then just a quick note to you....STOP IT. unless you know, keep away from the keyboard, no matter hooooooowwww helpful you think you will be. You make people go through a ton of different hoops and wrong assumptions. And even in this case of THIS THREAD....not a single right answer (and even an ADMINISTRATOR put his two WRONG cents in...) UNBELIEVABLE. UNLESS YOU KNOW, KEEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD. keep your "guesses" and "theories" and let the people who are trying to get answers HAVE REAL ANSWERS.

These "guesstimates" show the OP that they're not being ignored. Even if we don't know a solution right off hand, it's still a bit comforting to know that people are willing to help.

We may not "have real answers," but 95% of the time, DF figures it out.

jd777

Reaction score
These "guesstimates" show the OP that they're not being ignored. Even if we don't know a solution right off hand, it's still a bit comforting to know that people are willing to help.

We may not "have real answers," but 95% of the time, DF figures it out.

UrbanBounca, your answer does seem reasonable. It is important that people don't think they're being ignored. That is a good answer. Point taken. Truly.

You must understand the frustrations that me and my colleagues have had when researching for info on the internet (which we do alot in our jobs) and finding so many replies that sound like someone just wanting to voice an opinion rather than giving a helpful solution. we find this case in almost every support forum. Also, the number of wrong leads that are stated as "a matter of fact" can hurt people more than help. We post answers as well, but we always research through before we post, just to make sure we have the right answer or at least a good lead. The above solution was found and tested in a matter of 20 minutes before we posted. Our frustrations comes from those who are "quick to post" before knowing an answer. So yes, your point is well stated. We agree. But at the same time we exhort that people no matter how much they want to help not to post or at least a simple "don't know for sure, but I'll check for you..." instead of just "well, i think...." that's not unfair for me or anyone to ask, right? it saves soooooooooo much time. I promise you.

thanks again for the insight into our frustrations. we hope you understand our point as well.

(i just realized this post is becoming close to exactly what we stated against...lol....oh well).

JD

googlelover

Reaction score
Well I did read the entire thread, but I didn't notice they were referring to new phones, and I thought they were talking about the milestone (which is still technically a different phone then the droid) and an option under that phone that they shot down. I'm sorry my misunderstanding caused you to have a freak attack. And how can any problem be tackled if people that aren't sure say what they think so the community can work towards a solution? oh and by the way my droid has 2.2 and still has this option, so you mean just the new phones don't. And I'm sorry in my experience the users and mods of most forums don't usually like threads from awhile ago being posted in again. I'm sorry that a highschool student isn't as much of a know it all like you and your colleagues... and I don't remember anyone specifically saying which device they were asking about.
Edit: and actually looking back through the thread they did refer to the droid multiple times, and the solution they posted said select 2g only, so maybe the users just overlooked the turn off data? (unlikely yes, but you never know)

Last edited:

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
JD,

We all get just as frustrated not being able to find a correct answer after squabbling through many different answers. But the fact of the matter is that many solutions regarding cellular phones, especially at this day and age, are found through trial and error. I would much rather have a "Try this..." post, than a "I'll be right back..."

jd777

Reaction score
Urban, that's fine.

Googlelover,...not gonna start a verbal war over forums....that's lame. Sent you a private message.

Everyone else, there is an answer to turn off 3G without an app that should work especially if you have the newer Droid phones (new as in purchased in the last 4 months). please see solutions above.

Newbie_nick

Reaction score
Hey all,

My wife just got a Dinc2 this week, and it's just different enough from my original Incredible that I need some help from y'all! Ok, I have a widget for my Inc that will turn off 3G/Mobile to save battery or to turn off my email stuff when I want to unplug from the real world. She wants the same thing, but I can't figure out how to do it on her Dinc2. Help, please...

Thanks!
Nick