Turn 3G on and off?

izzysmom

Reaction score
I know I can turn off GPS & WiFi - can I also turn 3G on and off? I dont see a setting for that...When I look at my battery usage - CELL STANDBY is my biggest user....and time without a signal is always over 50% -- I've kind of assumed that this is taking about 3G signal and not normal Cell signal since I always seem to have bars...but dont always have 3G....

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest doing some research on cell standby rather than just running with some assumption. There have definitely been threads on this but I'd have to search, same as you would, to dig them up.

xliderider

Reaction score
This was posted for the Eris, but I've done it for the Moto Droid as well:

There is some sort of bug with with Cell standby that causes the phone to lose signal which in turns just kills the battery. To verify that your set has the problem, check the Cell standby info in the Battery Use info. If the Time without a signal is higher than 0% (50% seems to be the norm) than you have a problem.

One solution, at the moment, is to follow these steps:

1. Plug in phone charger

2. Put phone in Airplane mode

3. Put phone to sleep for a minute

4. Turn off airplane mode

5. Unplug phone

I can confirm that this works and my Time without a signal is at 0% for over 9 hours now. The battery life is MUCH better and the phone didn't die on me last night while i was sleeping.

The Standby didn't go down to 0%, but it went way down into the teens.

OP
I

izzysmom

Reaction score
I'd suggest doing some research on cell standby rather than just running with some assumption. There have definitely been threads on this but I'd have to search, same as you would, to dig them up.

Thanks Tak - I tried some searches before posting - but I think I was using "turn off 3G" as a search string and the hits I got were all over the place. Knowing the right terms to seach for are probably half the battle to finding the best answer. I'll try CELL STANDBY instead....

OP
I

izzysmom

Reaction score
This was posted for the Eris, but I've done it for the Moto Droid as well:

There is some sort of bug with with Cell standby that causes the phone to lose signal which in turns just kills the battery. To verify that your set has the problem, check the Cell standby info in the Battery Use info. If the Time without a signal is higher than 0% (50% seems to be the norm) than you have a problem.

One solution, at the moment, is to follow these steps:

1. Plug in phone charger

2. Put phone in Airplane mode

3. Put phone to sleep for a minute

4. Turn off airplane mode

5. Unplug phone

I can confirm that this works and my Time without a signal is at 0% for over 9 hours now. The battery life is MUCH better and the phone didn't die on me last night while i was sleeping.

The Standby didn't go down to 0%, but it went way down into the teens.

THANKS! I'll try this and see how I do!

OP
I

izzysmom

Reaction score
My time without signal is down to 6% today (from 63% yesterday) - and I've been in the same places...home & work. So maybe this did the trick...?