Trying to root old droid 3 - not working

Jason R

Reaction score
Also read that the root tool needs to be on its own like a desktop file and not in any sub folders. The Dan rosenburg tool should work. Also try re dl'ing file just to be sure.

Last edited:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
it could fail if buried in folders (path name too long), but doesn't need to be on desktop
I run mine from C:\Backup\Droid Files\Tools\Root\motofail_windows

Last edited:

Jason R

Reaction score
it could fail if buried in folders, but doesn't need to be on desktop
I run mine from C:\Backup\Droid Files\Tools\Root\motofail_windows

Well I figured desktop would be easier, ya know? Lol

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
First...you folks are terrific. I appreciate you hanging in with me. 1. Not sure which version of XP? I right-clicked my computer to look at properties and it just says XP. So long ago I don't recall and not sure how to figure it out. That being said, I just went with the newest driver and that file seems to be recognizing the phone.2. I then extracted motofail. The directory is not too long at all BUT I will try running it off the desktop. The weird thing is that when I run the file run.bat, the first error I get is that it cannot find "motofail" but there's no file called "motofail" Then I start to get errors about chmod or something like that (basically it seems as if it cannot find what it's looking for). I'll run tonight again and post. Again, I really appreciate you checking back and helping me through this. Would really like to root these and get them down to nice stand alone wifi devices for the kids!

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
sounds like you didn't extract files first or virus protection removed files.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
sounds like you didn't extract files first or virus protection removed files.
I definitely extracted them.....But maybe some did not extract? Can anyone confirm the files in the directory...If I recall there are 6-7 files but definitely no file called "motofail" in the directory itself. Can anyone confirm whether they see that as a stand alone file? My virus software was off at the time of the extract too.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
your virus protection can remove files before you extract, you may need to turn it off before redownloading.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
your virus protection can remove files before you extract, you may need to turn it off before redownloading.
Going to try again tonight because I definitely didn't have motofail come through as a separate file even though I saw it in winzip. When I tried to extract it out of winzip as an individual file (after I ran the full extract) it just extracted a folder. I may hit one of you guys up via PM to see if you can email me the files but I'll try to do this on my own first. Again, as always, thanks for the continued help!

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I think it worked. I think it may have been the anti-virus software all along causing issues. THANKS TO ALL!

My next step is going to be installing safestrap which I have never done. I originally installed bootstrap on the one phone. Can I still install safestrap or is there a process I need to follow to remove bootstrap? THANKS!!!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
He didn't lose it. Didn't have it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2