Trying to Quit Smoking

OP
amishdude01

amishdude01

Reaction score
My girlfriend is 27 and has been smoking since she was 13. She use to smoke pot but quit that about a year or so ago. I'd say she probably smokes 8-10 a day, maybe more under stress, haven't really counted. I'd bought her patches a while back and they seemed to work but like a child does cold medicine, once you see it take effect, you stop using it. I recently tried again but this time she didn't stick with it at all. She lacks any motivation to really kick the habit right now but the smell and constant "smoke breaks" drive me insane sometimes. I was considering buying her the E-Cigarettes, figuring that way she could still smoke if she wanted wherever she wanted, but it wouldn't be as harmful to her or those around her, as well as alleviating me and other non-smokers from the horrible smell. Any of you have any experience with them?

I tried the BLU cigs which is an E-cig. When I got that, I was smoke free for around a month. Then one night I had a few beers and then I started back up again. I found that the e-cig was actually more addicting because I could smoke that anywhere. When smoking the electric cigarette, it was never realistic enough to be satisfying. But in others defense, the BLU Cigs are pretty cheap, I heard the more expensive ones seem pretty realistic.Another downfall was that it seemed like I was constantly using that thing. I didnt really buy it to quit smoking though, I bought it because I was curious and wanted to try it out. It was pretty cool, till it broke about 3 months later. Im glad I didnt start the e-cig back up because of the costs for the cartridges. It gets pretty expensive after some time.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Keep it up amishdude!

Live healthier and happier! Plus with the money you save you can blow it off on other stuff...like another phone:blink:

skruid

Reaction score
the cravings never go away but gets easier to deal with

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Studies have proven that having a support network can help your chances of quitting. So I congratulate you and wish you the best of luck in this endeavor. Keep it up! :)

Just think in one year you cool easily buy another phone or some other cool gadget with the money you save. Or with the way gas prices are going that extra money will come in handy. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Amishdude, good luck and keep it up!! It's tough to do but it can be done.

Keep it up amishdude!

Live healthier and happier! Plus with the money you save you can blow it off on other stuff...like another phone:blink:

Now that's some good thinking right there!

LiquidRazrMaxx

Reaction score
I have been smoking for about 12yrs and recently decided to quit. I think finding something as motivation to quit helps a great deal. Also try not tonhang around people who smoke it could cause a relapse.

Sent from my Egypticus Spaceship using Droid Razr Maxx

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I smoked for almost twenty years and was up to two packs a day when I quit. I used the patch for the physical addiction. By week 2, I realized that I was forgetting to put the patch on and didn't need it so stopped using the patch.

I knew the psychological addiction was going to be the hardest. A month b4 I quit, I analyzed all my smoking triggers and came up with substitutes. Here is my list...

After meals- went for brisk walk instead of the cigs.
Driving in car-chewed on carrot sticks
Coffee and alcohol-cut both out for 3 months.
First thing in morning-downed glasses of water.

Other crazy things I did. Every shower and every craving I chanted to myself subliminal messages of "I hate cigarettes, I don't need cigarettes, I am a non-smoker"

Bought myself a $30 present (how much I was spending on cigarettes every week) every week I made it for the first two months.

Every milestone, I over celebrated! I probably drove everyone crazy at work but they had fun with it. On day 3, I went into work showing everyone how pink my tongue was and that I didn't even have to brush my tongue to get it pink. On day 5, my fingers stopped smelling like cigarettes. Everyone got to hear about that too. After week 1, I bragged and demonstrated how I could run around our office building without losing my breath.

I dared to have my first cup of coffee after three months and loved it...with mi craving for a cigarette.

I have absolutely no cravings for a cigarette whatsoever and am bothered when around cigarette smoke. I love not smoking. And every new year, I try to smoke a cigarette to remind myself how much I hate it. It is so disgusting that I can only stomach two drags b4 it kills me, yuck! I would not recommend this last thing to anyone who still has any cravings though. Very dangerous thing to do.

Best of luck to anyone on this venture. My best advice is to have an arsenal of ideas to help you get through. And if at first you don't succeed, try again. It was several years of new years resolution failures b4 I finally succeeded.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums