Trying find the best home MP3 acess/stream solution (Linux)

nssone

Reaction score
Hey there guys. So, one thing I always wanted since I got my Droid was to finally find a way to stream all my MP3s from my home network to my phone. While it may sound like there I'm asking for something which has already been addressed, I still can't find anything that works properly cross-platform. Almost all solutions are for Windows systems. But my main OS is Ubuntu, so I've been trying to find a proper solution for Linux users to no avail. The most universal solution would be to use VLC Stream and Convert but that app almost never works for me without errors or a lack of audio.

I was hoping there'd be some more native and direct solution to this by now. If there's somebody here who may have some ideas for me or know of something I've overlooked, feel free to enlighten me. I would really prefer to have my networked music collection streaming to my phone instead of trying to fit a small collection on my phone.

Thanks in advance for any possible solutions or ideas here.

gmmurphy

Reaction score
few ways i use, squeezebox server for free with win amp or orb both work well on my d1. orb i can watch all my video including live tv.
i know squeezebox server supports linux and will stream to winamp with a few tweaks. also on your home network you can use your phone for a remote for squeezeserver. artwork volume ect...pretty cool. pm me if you need more info.

Doxola

Reaction score
I spend an equal time using Ubuntu, OSX, and Win 7. I've used Squeezebox server, but have yet to use it on my Dinc.

Doubletwist and AudioGalaxy aren't available on Linux, I don't believe.

Subsonic server works well at times, and is cross-platform. It has worked better for me with my phone on Linux and the Mac than on Windows.

Good luck!

baaldemon

Reaction score
Subsonic works great... I would recommend trying that. I use it to stream my music library, about 300GB, to my phone and many different computers. Its an opensource project but you will need to make a donation to get full access to the api used to stream to the phone (alternately you can modify the code to get around it, but its a project worth the donation. There are different installable server versions standalone installables for linux, windows, mac or you can use a standard war deployment for it.

From other threads here, and on the subsonic site, if you aren't familiar with setting up NAT you may need some help in getting it to work externally. I would recommend with going with a war install on tomcat over the standalone, it just seems more stable to me. I've had my server up and running no problems for a couple months now.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

zasran

Reaction score
Subsonic is pretty good but you have to pay to stream to phone (after trial period).

Ampache is pretty good (with Lullaby client), slightly less polished than subsonic but free.

baaldemon

Reaction score
You need to make a donation, which I don't believe has a minimum, or you can download the source and take that entire part out yourself, Though I do recommend making a donation as it really is something that is worth it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
N

nssone

Reaction score
Hrm, after reading this post again I realized I may have been slightly misunderstood. I'm trying to get a remote stream/control/player solution over 3G, not just my home network. I'm really quire surprised there hasn't been some kind of free solution out there for this yet.

Doxola

Reaction score
Most of what's been suggested works over wifi and 3g.

Subsonic and Audiogalaxy do, and I use them both almost everyday, at home and on the go.

Audiogalaxy is free, but is not available for Linux, as far as I know. Subsonic does require a donation once the trial period expires, but it's worth it, in my opinion.

OP
N

nssone

Reaction score
After much research and a bit of frustration trying to even install it, I finally tried Subsonic. And I have to say that is the best solution out there. It has worked well for me over 3G. Just have to pull the trigger and pay for the donation, which for the 10 Euro donation = ~14 USD. Not too much and i know the donation is not necessary, but I was still trying to find a free solution.

Last edited:

KrystieMarie

Reaction score
I just got JukeFly and so far so good. :) Took me a little bit to figure out how to work it though. For some reason it wasn't recognizing my music in my ITunes, so I just had to move them over to a normal music file and the site found them. AND ITS FREE!

D

dvdcatalyst