How to play/stream music from network share to Android device?

SumGuy

Reaction score
I've got a Polaroid tablet that can connect to and browse a network-shared drive on a windows PC. I can copy individual audio files (mp3, flac, etc) and entire folders from the network share to the sd card on the tablet and play those files from the SD card. I can click on and view jpg files on the network share without needing to copy them to the SD card.

However, I have yet to find an audio player (not the native sound player, VLC, etc) that can play the audio files (ie - stream them) from the network share. I get some sort of message that it's trying to connect to "127.0.0.1". I've used a HOSTS file editor and tried to make link between 127.0.0.1 and the local LAN IP of the windows machine, but that doesn't work either.

From doing some internet searches I get the idea that Android is somehow handicapped (on purpose?) from being able to stream audio (and video?) files from network shares. Is this true?

Is there an easy way to fix this? Is there a free app on the android marketplace (which my tablet has access to) that can play music files from network shares?

My tablet details:

Polariod PMID705X
Android verison is 4.04
Baseband version 1.5.0.7 2012/08/28
Kernel Version 3.08+

momo0223

Reaction score
I think ShareON Audio is exactly what you looking for.
It is a Wi-Fi music player.
You can stream the audio files from your network-shared drive to your smartphone, when the devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi.
It also supports iTunes sync and DLNA supported speakers or TVs.

biglilome

Reaction score
I think ShareON Audio is exactly what you looking for.
It is a Wi-Fi music player.
You can stream the audio files from your network-shared drive to your smartphone, when the devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi.
It also supports iTunes sync and DLNA supported speakers or TVs.

Thanks for sharing. Been looking for something like that but wasn't sure which apps are good!