True of False-Manual Update Install=No Auto Later?

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I read that if you do not wait for the notification, and do the manual update for the Droid , that you will have to manually update/install all future updates, negating your auto-updating in the future. I am not sure how that would work, so I am wondering if any Droid wizards know why or why not.

If that is true, are there any other hazards to doing this?

Thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I read that if you do not wait for the notification, and do the manual update for the Droid , that you will have to manually update/install all future updates, negating your auto-updating in the future. I am not sure how that would work, so I am wondering if any Droid wizards know why or why not.

Thanks

It's nonsense. The update is the exact same one that Verizon is pushing out. There is no difference.

I've done many updates on Blackberry and while the process is different the idea behind the update is the same.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Thanks

It's nonsense. The update is the exact same one that Verizon is pushing out. There is no difference.

I've done many updates on Blackberry and while the process is different the idea behind the update is the same.

Indeed.

Think of it this way... you have the update installed (2.0.1)... VZW/Google 'pushes' the update to your device... the update is the same as the device firmware so the update doesn't take place...
... a month from now let's say an update is 'pushed' out (2.0.2), hypothetically. When this update is pushed to your device it will be NEWER than the firmware on the device so it will automatically update...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
no hazards that i know of. I haven't heard of anyone's phone being bricked from the manual update since it is the same update. You just happen to get it earlier than planned. I'm sure when "2.0.2" comes out OTA, someone will put up a manual update again.

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Thanks Martin and Hook. I had no idea. Thanks very much.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks

Indeed.

Think of it this way... you have the update installed (2.0.1)... VZW/Google 'pushes' the update to your device... the update is the same as the device firmware so the update doesn't take place...
... a month from now let's say an update is 'pushed' out (2.0.2), hypothetically. When this update is pushed to your device it will be NEWER than the firmware on the device so it will automatically update...
Oh awesome, 2.0.2 is coming out in a month!!!!! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana: LOL.:icon_ devil:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
HYPOTHETICAL 2.0.2 update... not for real LOL
just used as an example :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ Ok so I should've used the real firmware version for the next update in my example... caught me being sneaky :icon_ devil:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ it would be a nod to his site (traffic and attention it draws) if we started seeing articles for 2.0.2 popping up on the internet. HAHA

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Well, even if you can't auto update later....you knew enough to auto update this time so chances are you'll be all over the next update as well. :)

moosc

Reaction score
what about manual update with the root... will we get 2.1 update automatically or will we need to do them all manually

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
what about manual update with the root... will we get 2.1 update automatically or will we need to do them all manually

Please see page 1. And don't worry you'll be fine next update.;)