Tried to buy a Droid today! :-(

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
if you are upgrading from a non smartphone then they will usually wave the fees and give you the upgrade price, that's what they did for me
This simply is not true. There are many factors that go into whether they will allow an upgrade early.

Newton122189

Reaction score
if you are upgrading from a non smartphone then they will usually wave the fees and give you the upgrade price, that's what they did for me
This simply is not true. There are many factors that go into whether they will allow an upgrade early.

Well actually it simply IS true, verizon might not admit it but I spoke with the manager specifically and he said if its from a non smartphone then you don't have to have an upgrade available, he said they can give u the upgrade price if ur moving to a smartphone, I didn't have an upgrade for like 13 or 14 more months and I paid $200 after mail in rebate, they will probably hassle you about it if you ask but it is definitely something they can pull off in the computer, its an option in there system

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Call *611. I had no luck getting my upgrade early in store, but had no problem over the phone :)

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Well actually it simply IS true, verizon might not admit it but I spoke with the manager specifically and he said if its from a non smartphone then you don't have to have an upgrade available, he said they can give u the upgrade price if ur moving to a smartphone, I didn't have an upgrade for like 13 or 14 more months and I paid $200 after mail in rebate, they will probably hassle you about it if you ask but it is definitely something they can pull off in the computer, its an option in there system
I do stand by what I said...there are many factors that will decide if you get the early upgrade. Call Center C.S. reps are empowered to a certain extent, but manager exceptions still have to clear through supervisors, and you will get called out by a supervisor if it doesn't make good business sense. I did this for nearly 3 years.

superglen99

Reaction score
When you do early upgrades you have to do it at verizon stores. I know cause I tried best buy and couldn't since it was an early upgrade. I went over to verizon and it was quick and easy

ronimous

Reaction score
I added a line and gave my wife my Storm...which replaced an Iphone....:D Droid is the best of the three.

xjman349

Reaction score

I do stand by what I said...there are many factors that will decide if you get the early upgrade. Call Center C.S. reps are empowered to a certain extent, but manager exceptions still have to clear through supervisors, and you will get called out by a supervisor if it doesn't make good business sense. I did this for nearly 3 years.

Ok I am going to give you the scoop. Both of you are right. The factor that you guys are both missing is its based on your account. I currently am taking Supervisor calls for Verizon Wireless, and I think its important that there is never a for sure answer. IF and I mean IF we decided to work with you on an upgrade there are many pieces that go into determining an upgrade. I will not tell you what they are because you will manipulate it. Just know that you can call but requesting a supervisor or manager does not guarantee you anything. As far as what Vulcan is saying as far as approvals for upgrades this is 100% correct. I have had to have numerous reps call customers back after telling the customer they would upgrade when in fact it was not a good business decision. Verizon Wireless is all about balance. Whats good for the customer, whats good for us. They will work on meeting you in the middle but do keep in mind they will not upgrade everyone just because they request to speak with a manager.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Ok I am going to give you the scoop. Both of you are right. The factor that you guys are both missing is its based on your account. I currently am taking Supervisor calls for Verizon Wireless, and I think its important that there is never a for sure answer. IF and I mean IF we decided to work with you on an upgrade there are many pieces that go into determining an upgrade. I will not tell you what they are because you will manipulate it. Just know that you can call but requesting a supervisor or manager does not guarantee you anything. As far as what Vulcan is saying as far as approvals for upgrades this is 100% correct. I have had to have numerous reps call customers back after telling the customer they would upgrade when in fact it was not a good business decision. Verizon Wireless is all about balance. Whats good for the customer, whats good for us. They will work on meeting you in the middle but do keep in mind they will not upgrade everyone just because they request to speak with a manager.
I did say there are many factors, because, like you, I didn't want to get into all those because of the manipulation that would occur. I was in a midwest call center for several years so I know what I speak of. What worked for someone won't necessarily fly with another.

So you're taking sup que calls huh? That was always fun, especially when you would see 75 calls in que and service levels at 58% and you'd be sitting and waiting for that escalation :)

MrTommy

Reaction score
"Only" $200 for my Droid.

I didn't have an upgrade for like 13 or 14 more months and I paid $200 after mail in rebate, they will probably hassle you about it if you ask but it is definitely something they can pull off in the computer, its an option in there system

My upgrade/new phone allowance wasn't due until this coming March - but I HAD to have a Droid. We went to a corporate Verizon store, messed with the phone, talked to the sales babe, and eventually got the phone. Cost me $200 after the $100 rebate, plus the early re-contracting thingie. My wife, who isn't quite so enamored with the Droid will wait until her part of the contract is up (also March) and THEN go in for an upgrade.

xjman349

Reaction score

I did say there are many factors, because, like you, I didn't want to get into all those because of the manipulation that would occur. I was in a midwest call center for several years so I know what I speak of. What worked for someone won't necessarily fly with another.

So you're taking sup que calls huh? That was always fun, especially when you would see 75 calls in que and service levels at 58% and you'd be sitting and waiting for that escalation :)

Yes it is beautiful. :)

Newton122189

Reaction score

Yeah, I actually didn't ask for the manager, that is just who happened to be helping me, maybe he embelished a little but he told me that first time smartphone users can get the two year upgrade price even if they aren't eligable, I totally believe everything you are saying xjman but my experience was like a 5 minute thing, he definitely did not call a supervisor or anyone for that matter, maybe I'm just lucky or something

OP
Supertom

Supertom

Reaction score
OK... tomorrow I'm going to the Verizon store. I'm upgrading from my little free phone, so, I would think it would be in their best interest to upgrade me. I'll let you know.
Unless... someone has some compelling reason I should wait. Like their is gonna be a big upgrade or something right around the corner.

crspang

Reaction score
You'll get better service by calling vzw rather than going to the stores. At least that has been my experience.