Tried to talk myself into buying a new phone this weekend

nateccnn

Reaction score
I spent some time at the Vz kiosk in the mall while the wife went to the jewlery store to polish her rings. The sales guy was trying to be very helpful. He knew I was not eligible for an upgrade till June but spent a bunch of time answering my questions nonetheless. When I was playing with the Droid2 and DroidX I asked him which one was easier to root and he leaned over to ask his buddy but he just shrugged his shoulders. I laughed at him and told him he was not supposed to know the answer anyways.

So I installed Quadrant on the X, D2 and the Samsung Fascinate and compared results to my D1 OCed to 800. While I like the size of the screen on the X and the Fascinate I walked away from that Kiosk with no urge to upgrade my phone. All three phones were great but just not great enough to make me want to fork over some cash.

Hopefully something blows my mind away in June. I'm waiting patiently now. A big thankyou from my wife to the Vz sales rep. Not only am I no longer itching to buy a new phone...she got to spend an hour and a half browsing the jewelry store and found some really nice rocks.

Nate

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
do you realize there will be so many android phone out in the next 9 months. There coming out pretty much back to back right now. Plus by the time your upgrade comes around i'm sure there will be several LTE android phones out there.

My personal .02 cents anyone that upgrades right now has to be out of their mind because in 4 months when android LTE phones start flooding the market there going to be kicking themselves in the butt.

droider4life

Reaction score
I asked him which one was easier to root and he leaned over to ask his buddy but he just shrugged his shoulders. I laughed at him and told him he was not supposed to know the answer anyways.
Nate
Priceless. :rofl3::rofl3:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
to start it will be all NFL cities

Speaking in Bethesda, MD, on Wednesday, Bernie McMonagle, a Verizon senior federal sales executive, told a group of enterprise IT managers that the carrier will launch its 4G LTE network in 30 National Football League cities before the end of 2010 and plans to have the entire country covered by 2013.The 4G network is expected to deliver download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps from the start, according to Laptop Magazine.

chaz.ring

Reaction score
But what areas will have LTE. When will it be available to most?

In Michigan there will be excellent LTE coverage (4G).... How do I know this? Because the company I work for has upgraded and installed over 150 of these sites already and are still doing this daily...not to mention our competition (and also friends:)) are also doing this.

I live out in the boondocks, and Verizon even thought about us:icon_ banana:
we installed LTE on a tower within eyesight of my house. I can't wait for them to turn that baby ondancedroiddancedroid

Dragoro

Reaction score
But what areas will have LTE. When will it be available to most?

In Michigan there will be excellent LTE coverage (4G).... How do I know this? Because the company I work for has upgraded and installed over 150 of these sites already and are still doing this daily...not to mention our competition (and also friends:)) are also doing this.

I live out in the boondocks, and Verizon even thought about us:icon_ banana:
we installed LTE on a tower within eyesight of my house. I can't wait for them to turn that baby ondancedroiddancedroid

Sweet!!! by the time I get my upgrade (next august) it should be on then! Guess thats the one good thing bout living in michigan.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm eligible next month but I sticking with my Droid. It is a very stable phone, offers lots of options (roms, themes, kernels). I live in central PA and our 3G is excellent. In fact, I do not notice much difference between the 3G and wifi.

My two cents.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If I were a betting man, I would not put money on that. There are things that make sense and things that doesn't.

As important as the NFL may be to some people, Verizon has to look at the big picture. You think they are not going to give it to L.A. first because they don't have an NFL team, but will give it to some place like Jacksonville?

If L.A. isn't one of the first areas to get it I'll be shocked.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

If I were a betting man, I would not put money on that. There are things that make sense and things that doesn't.

As important as the NFL may be to some people, Verizon has to look at the big picture. You think they are not going to give it to L.A. first because they don't have an NFL team, but will give it to some place like Jacksonville?

If L.A. isn't one of the first areas to get it I'll be shocked.

i completely agree. i'm only going on information i've read that seems somewhat credible. I wouldn't put it past Verizon to add more cities to the list for the rollout.

everstar80

Reaction score
I upgraded early from an lg ally to a droid 2 because the prior didn't do half of the things I need and for me was just a horrible phone. The droid 2 gave me what I wanted and more. And I am sure that in a few months a new phone will come out that I will love and have to be patient (or add another line ) but sometimes it's worth it to invest in something that's worth it and gives you so much.