Tried flashing a theme, Droid in boot loop?

easye

Reaction score
Let me know where I went wrong..

-Downloaded "TruBlue_BBv0.6.2" on Pc
-Mounted Droid and placed .zip file on SD card
-Unmounted
-Backed up current ROM with ClockworkMod
-ROM Manager > Install ROM from SD > "TruBlue_BBv0.6.2"
-Did NOT clear cache
-Phone reboots, appears to be going fine
-Following "M" logo, droid gets stuck trying to load the white "DROID" Not sure why it showed this because the boot animation for BuglessBeast is the Droid X eye, I just assumed it'd be blue in this them

Restored with no problem, but why didn't the theme take?

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

-Unmounted
-Did NOT clear cache
-Following "M" logo, droid gets stuck trying to load the white "DROID" Not sure why it showed this because the boot animation for BuglessBeast is the Droid X eye, I just assumed it'd be blue in this them

The culprit may be Rom Manager itself. That's a weird program, and while I have it on all three of my phones, I rarely use the thing, since it has a habit of not doing what you told it to do. Try using RM to boot you into CW Recovery, then use Recovery itself to install the theme. I *never* use RM to do the actual install, on any of my phones, preferring to chose what I want to do from the recovery program and eliminating the middle man.

Another possibility is to go ahead and clear the cache - that may have been a factor in your problem.

-Mike

Last edited:

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you install the rom first, and then the theme over the rom, without wiping?? If so, then maybe you just got a corrupt download of the theme file. Redownload it, and try flashing again.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
E

easye

Reaction score

-Unmounted
-Did NOT clear cache

The culprit may be Rom Manager itself. That's a weird program, and while I have it on all three of my phones, I rarely use the thing, since it has a habit of not doing what you told it to do. Try using RM to boot you into CW Recovery, then use Recovery itself to install the theme. I *never* use RM to do the actual install, on any of my phones, preferring to chose what I want to do from the recovery program and eliminating the middle man.

Another possibility is to go ahead and clear the cache - that may have been a factor in your problem.

-Mike

I have noticed some weirdness with RM (the loading ring is always going when I have it open and many of the free ROMs dont appea). So boot into clockwork recovery, then select install and the theme will be there?

EDIT: Tried this method, same result. It reads that the install was successful, but when I reboot it just barely flickers at that DROID animation. I guess it must be a corrupted download? Or is there a major step I'm not doing...

Did you install the rom first, and then the theme over the rom, without wiping?? If so, then maybe you just got a corrupt download of the theme file. Redownload it, and try flashing again.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Yes, I installed BB then tried to install the theme over it. I'll give it another shot. I'll admit I got pretty scared when I got that boot loop screen, but its pretty simple to fix.

Last edited:

titans1

Reaction score
start all over from scratch. redownload. rename update.zip clear cache and datawipe 3 times. then install

OP
E

easye

Reaction score
start all over from scratch. redownload. rename update.zip clear cache and datawipe 3 times. then install

I'll give this a shot. Any reason I can't use Dropbox to get the file onto my SD, rather than USB?

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You didn't mention the ROM you are running. If you are running Pete's latest (v.6.2.1 or the ver. with the easter egg) then I don't believe a theme for v6.2 will function correctly.

OP
E

easye

Reaction score
You didn't mention the ROM you are running. If you are running Pete's latest (v.6.2.1 or the ver. with the easter egg) then I don't believe a theme for v6.2 will function correctly.

My mistake. I'm running Bugless Beast 6.2.1, which I believe is the newest stable build of the ROM.

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

My mistake. I'm running Bugless Beast 6.2.1, which I believe is the newest stable build of the ROM.

I believe that may be the issue. I think Pete some framework changes that make older themes incompatable.