Traveling abroad - what is my best option?

droid321

Reaction score
I've read several threads regarding traveling abroad but haven't come to a specific conclusion on what the best option would be for a Droid user. I have a Motorola Droid and will be traveling to two European countries. Verizon wants to charge me ~$2/minute but I know there are other options.

1. I do not mind only making calls via wifi. I could leave my phone in airplane mode. I basically just need a phone to call home (US) every once in a while.

2. Texting would be a plus but it is not a necessity.

3. I have a Google Voice account and if this would help at all I could use it.

4. I am willing to use SIP? once I figure out how/if it works.

5. The people I intend to call (home) do not have Skype, let alone smart phones.

If I could please get a clear response regarding this issue, I would be extremely thankful! I've noticed many topics such as this but still haven't come up with the answer I want :( Thank you SO much in advance!!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a Motorola Droid and will be traveling to two European countries. Verizon wants to charge me ~$2/minute but I know there are other options.
There's CDMA coverage in the countries you're going to?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I have a Motorola Droid and will be traveling to two European countries. Verizon wants to charge me ~$2/minute but I know there are other options.
There's CDMA coverage in the countries you're going to?

Outside of the States, you can find CDMA networks in Canada, Mexico, New Zealand, China, Taiwan, South Korea, parts of the Caribbean and Latin America, and a handful of other countries

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can't make calls on wifi. Doesn't work that way. You can text.

I don't know about how Google Voice works coming from overseas. It may only work over hear for International calls.

OP
D

droid321

Reaction score
You can't make calls on wifi. Doesn't work that way. You can text.

I don't know about how Google Voice works coming from overseas. It may only work over hear for International calls.

see this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ls-using-data-instead-voice-2.html#post628068

as far as CDMA coverage where I am going, I called Verizon and told them I would be traveling to Armenia and Greece and mentioned that I would be switching my Droid to a BB Storm so I can travel with a global phone and she told me I wouldn't need to do that and my Droid would work fine there. I was surprised...