Going Abroad - Use Verizon's SIM Card, or get one abroad?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Any thoughts on taking a DroidX to Scandinavia and Germany? SIM card advice same for 2Global as for DroidX? What about data functionality-- maps, GPS?

Droid X is not GSM/WCDMA capable. It doesn't have SIM card slot, neither GSM/WCDMA radio capability. It is only good in US and few other countries in the western hemisphere, but certainly not good in Western Europe.
So the advice given here is not good for DroidX

CDMA is broader than you think...
CDG : Worldwide : Worldwide

zero7404

Reaction score
When travelling abroad is it better to use the Verizon SIM card which comes with the Droid 2 Global, or should I use a SIM card from a carrier in the country I am travelling to (Britain in my case)?

I understand that Verizon will give me an unlock code so I can use another SIM card, but then I would not have my American number.

However, I can see where it would be much cheaper to use the SIM card of a carrier in the country where I am travelling.

Do you have any experience or ideas you can share on this?

Thanks.

to unlock the device, you must have a foreign sim card inserted in the phone. verizon will give you 2 codes to use and tell you how to do it. but there's a small chance it might not work. with mine, i bought it new, tried unlocking and it didn't work, i exchanged the phone with another and was able to unlock the new one.

try a little experiment, go to wireless settings and set the mode to GSM, take a look at what the phone does over a few minutes. if you see a glimpse of AT&T or T-Mobile as the connection, you're probably ok to unlock and not worry about problems overseas.

with verizon global phones, you need to have a foreign sim inserted in order to unlock, so if you don't you have to do this overseas.

i would recommend using a foreign, pay as you go card, because the rates may be better than what vzw charges.

leobg

Reaction score
Any thoughts on taking a DroidX to Scandinavia and Germany? SIM card advice same for 2Global as for DroidX? What about data functionality-- maps, GPS?

Droid X is not GSM/WCDMA capable. It doesn't have SIM card slot, neither GSM/WCDMA radio capability. It is only good in US and few other countries in the western hemisphere, but certainly not good in Western Europe.
So the advice given here is not good for DroidX

CDMA is broader than you think...
CDG : Worldwide : Worldwide

True, I shouldn't have globalized my statement so much. I should have been more specific: 800/1900 bands is what I meant mostly as this is what DroidX has. However, answering the question the poster asked, I believe the statement about CDMA in any flavour not being good for Western Europe holds.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
The problem with CDMA is that there are multiple standards which are in no way compatible. And roaming is yet another headache to worry about.

Considering that Verizon doesn't use RUIM/UICC, you cannot switch to a local provider without reprogramming the phone, which in turn makes it impossible to use it on Verizon unless reprogrammed back.