Transfer data from/to identical phone (LG990)

DaveC426913

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG990
I've got two LG990s, one is dying the other is fine. I'm trying to transfer as much as possible from one to the other.

I put in an SD card and Exported my contacts to it (seems to have worked, it says it copied 62 contract to a .vcf file).
When I pulled out the SIM card and SD card and put them in my new phone, I went to Import my contacts and it said it could not find any contacts in a .vcf file on my SD card.

What am I doing wrong?

Is it possible that contacts are stored in a different format, depending one which Android OS it is? I think the dying one is newer (3.?) than the working one (2.2.2), but I'll confirm that.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum Dave. The quickest & easiest way to save & transfer you contacts is via Google. As long as you have them synced to Google they will automatically transfer to any new device you get in the future once you set up and sign into your new device.
Go into your contact settings, contacts to display, you can then choose All, phone, sim, or your Google account . Since I have multiple Google accounts, I make sure I have my main Google account checked.
5qIz79m.jpg

S5 tap'n

Last edited:
Reactions: CJM
OP
D

DaveC426913

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG990
Well, I found a 'Choose contacts to display' setting, under which I find an option for my gmail account. I guess I'll check that box, but I don't know how that gets up into the cloud. I guess I'll check and see if it uploaded it automagically when I blinked.

[ UPDATE ] Great. It found 8 out of 62 contacts...

I don't get it.
Should I wait for it to upload from my old phone?
Should I see them somewhere in my Google account online?
Should I wait for it to download to my new phone?

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
You can go into your Google account and make sure sync contacts is checked off.
qoQJ0bb.jpg

These "should" be all checked by default.
If your contacts don't show up on your new device, reboot your phone and check again.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Is it only showing 8 contacts out of 62 when you have Google selected under Contacts to Display? That would indicate that those are the only contacts you have saved to your google account.

If you login to your gmail account on your PC, click on Gmail (right below Google in the upper left), then select contacts from the drop down list. You can see/manage them all from there. If your new phone won't find the folks, you can also import directly into your google account from here by clicking "More" then import, but it needs to be a CSV or vCard file to import.

Hope that helps in some small way...

OP
D

DaveC426913

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG990
You can go into your Google account and make sure sync contacts is checked off. These "should" be all checked by default.
They are all checked. I've turned some of the more intrusive ones off. But Sync Contacts is on.

If your contacts don't show up on your new device, reboot your phone and check again.
I have to reboot it every time I go from one phone to the other, since I only have the one SIM card.

Is it only showing 8 contacts out of 62 when you have Google selected under Contacts to Display? That would indicate that those are the only contacts you have saved to your google account.
Well then this was never going to work. Of course I don't have all these people in my Google account. Most of these people don't even have Google accounts.

So, I guess I'm back to Exporting them to my SD card, which does not work.

Why do they have to make this so difficult? What? I'm the first person who's ever wanted to transfer their contacts to their new phone??

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
They are all checked. I've turned some of the more intrusive ones off. But Sync Contacts is on.

I have to reboot it every time I go from one phone to the other, since I only have the one SIM card.

Well then this was never going to work. Of course I don't have all these people in my Google account. Most of these people don't even have Google accounts.

So, I guess I'm back to Exporting them to my SD card, which does not work.

Why do they have to make this so difficult? What? I'm the first person who's ever wanted to transfer their contacts to their new phone??
They don't have to have a Google account to be saved in your Google contacts. It's all in where you save them to when you input them on your device. If you select to save them to your Google account, they save to the cloud & are automatically downloaded when you sign in with that Google account on a new phone. Makes things much easier.

So, you can either see if the phone will export them as a csv or vcard file & import them to your Google account as I described above, or you can use vzw backup assistant on the old phone if it'll still work enough for that to back them up to vzw's cloud & then download them on the new phone, or you can take it to vzw to have them copy them.

I would suggest importing them to your Google account so you've always got them & I would suggest making sure any numbers you add moving forward are saved to the same Google account.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
D

DaveC426913

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG990
OK, more success this time with my Contacts by-way-of the SD card. Maybe I hadn't properly selected all before trying to transfer.

Now for everything else... :confused:

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Glad you got that figured out. Please let us know if there's anything else we can give you a hand with.

S5 tap'n