Trackball Self Repair any suggestions?

kkeys147

Reaction score
Hi gang,
I have an Eris I bought off of ebay for cheap, so no sending back, no replacements, and no warranty to void.

The trackball doesn't work very well at all, big surprise right?

I've managed to flash KaosFroyov38 and the CFSv6 kernel; but not without much frustration. ( I just spent 20 minutes wiggling my charger port and squeezing the case just trying to scroll down and do a battery stat wipe.)

I replaced the trackball unit, because well try the cheap and easy things first right? At any rate, it's not really much better.

It seems the pickups for the trackball are part of the board that also contains the charging port. I've seen this part for sale online, has anyone attempted a replacement? If so how did that go?
How about shimming the board somehow to increase contact pressure between the trackball unit rollers and the pickups?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome. I'd like to play with other ROMS & whatnot; but not until I can navigate the recovery menu in a reasonable fashion.

Thanks for reading

Threeball

Reaction score
U might try a little rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts. I know this works w electronics in general and I've read in other threads that this can help w eris trackballs.

Sent from my nonsensikal froyo using DroidForums App

OP
K

kkeys147

Reaction score
Thanks, I did swab a little in there; but I didn't take the whole board out, just lifted up the offending part. It might warrant a closer look.

Irie_Feeling

Reaction score
your screwed buddy haha. Like you said the track ball and the charging port are on the same circuit. once it breaks you need a warranty for a new phone. UNLESS that replacement part works but is it really worth all the hassle and trouble to change it out.