Droid Repair Saga . . . Should I just replace it?

tno

Reaction score
So, I dropped my phone. I know, we've heard this before, bear with me. I dropped my phone and cracked the digitizer glass, but thankfully not the display. So I called a local repair shop and he told me $35 for parts $80 for service. Seemed steep so I did some research, turns out this isn't too hard to replace. Sigh.

So I ordered the part and got to work. Everything went fine till I had to reconnect the ZIF connector. I couldn't get it to seat right, but did my best. Got it started, feeling pretty good about myself for stripping this thing down and watching it turn on, and was saddened to discover that the touch panel has huge gaps and won't recognize lots of inputs. Curses. So I dig back in. Sure enough the Zif is crooked.

Let it all the way out and try again. This time I use a pair of spudgers to really gently provide pressure to keep it up against the back of the socket while I lower the gate. I'm feeling pretty good about it, close it back up and turn it on. Still nothing.

Hmph. Well maybe I got a bad panel, so I set about contacting the seller about a return (not an pleasant prospect considering the amount of adhesive that's in there and the fact that I will have to be with that phone during the return process) when my wife calls. And I can't hear her. I must have done something to the speaker while replacing it and am mortified at how easy that's going to be to fix.

So, here I am, phone only works on speakerphone. Touch panel only works some of the time. And all this after I finally got 6.1.2 and all of my favorite android features working pristinely. GAAACH!

So what do you yall think? I'm several months from being able to upgrade through Verizon and this phone has lived a pretty good life, all told. Should I just put it to rest and try and pick-up a used droid on the cheap? Or should I soldier on and fix the speaker and replace the panel again? Anyone have any tips on fixing the speaker?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, I dropped my phone. I know, we've heard this before, bear with me. I dropped my phone and cracked the digitizer glass, but thankfully not the display. So I called a local repair shop and he told me $35 for parts $80 for service. Seemed steep so I did some research, turns out this isn't too hard to replace. Sigh.

So I ordered the part and got to work. Everything went fine till I had to reconnect the ZIF connector. I couldn't get it to seat right, but did my best. Got it started, feeling pretty good about myself for stripping this thing down and watching it turn on, and was saddened to discover that the touch panel has huge gaps and won't recognize lots of inputs. Curses. So I dig back in. Sure enough the Zif is crooked.

Let it all the way out and try again. This time I use a pair of spudgers to really gently provide pressure to keep it up against the back of the socket while I lower the gate. I'm feeling pretty good about it, close it back up and turn it on. Still nothing.

Hmph. Well maybe I got a bad panel, so I set about contacting the seller about a return (not an pleasant prospect considering the amount of adhesive that's in there and the fact that I will have to be with that phone during the return process) when my wife calls. And I can't hear her. I must have done something to the speaker while replacing it and am mortified at how easy that's going to be to fix.

So, here I am, phone only works on speakerphone. Touch panel only works some of the time. And all this after I finally got 6.1.2 and all of my favorite android features working pristinely. GAAACH!

So what do you yall think? I'm several months from being able to upgrade through Verizon and this phone has lived a pretty good life, all told. Should I just put it to rest and try and pick-up a used droid on the cheap? Or should I soldier on and fix the speaker and replace the panel again? Anyone have any tips on fixing the speaker?

Call Verizon and tell them what happened. Tell them your phone isn't working, is there anyway that you can get an early upgrade? Do this by phone, do not go into a store and try this.

The CSR should bend over backwards for you. Now you might not get it at a completely discounted rate, but you should get it for a much cheaper rate with an additional year added on to your contract. Depending where you actually are in your contract it may even be possible that you will get offered the lowest discount rate.

If you run into a stumbling block, say thank you, hang up, and call back again telling the rep this is your second call. It took me 3 calls one time but it worked.

Give it a try. What have you got to lose?

OP
T

tno

Reaction score
Should I avoid any mention of Cyanogen, rooting and trying to do the repair myself?

armopride07

Reaction score
Should I avoid any mention of Cyanogen, rooting and trying to do the repair myself?

YEESSS YOU SHOULD because rooting automatically voids your warranty. just don't say anything about it.