Body Glove saves Droid in big-rig crash!

MrTommy

Reaction score
Ok, all discussion about whether the bulky black Body Glove Droid cover is too much have come to a halt for me. And here's why...

A couple nights ago I was involved in a roll-over in my truck. Some guy in a Toyota Tundra pickup blew a stop sign (on a side street!) and plowed into the wheel of my first trailer at what cops estimate was between 50-60 mph. I was doing about 30 mph on a main street headed for the freeway.

So, my Droid is mounted in a universal squeeze type mount and suctioned to the windshield. The combination of rubber in the Body Glove and the rubber in the squeeze clamps make for a happy union and I really like the way this all works. I use a "Blue Parrot" blue tooth hands free headset for talking. Lots of drivers use this combo and it works really well.

Anyway, the pickup slams me and actually flips me over!!! Tractor and two trailers now laying on their side in the street. Check the pictures. All my stuff is everywhere in the tractor and once I determined that I was all in one piece with nothing broken, I start looking for my beloved Droid. Yup, that's what was on my mind, though I first had to get my knife out and cut the seat belt. I got my belt mounted flashlight out and started checking stuff out - and looking for my Droid. I wanted to take some pictures from inside the cab right then. The windshield (and most of the other glass) is totally toast. My windshield mount I found on the floor with the suction portion gone. Never have found that. But the Droid - can't find it. My satellite radio was suctioned to the window and I found both it and the mount - in fine shape. I kept looking for the Droid even while a fireman was telling me they were going to get me out. In short order I noticed the rear window was completely blown out and there was no jagged edged glass in it - so I manged to pull myself out through the window.

Hours later, after a trip to the hospital in an ambulance (my first), I got back to our terminal (about a half mile from the accident scene. I had just left, headed for Las Vegas) and found they just towing my tractor in. Wow - I couldn't believe what it looked like! And I walked away from it virtually unscathed! But, immediately I climb in to the cab on the passenger side - looking for my Droid. I'm obsessed. I'm a dedicated Droidian. Another driver suggests we call my number and if it's still alive, it'll ring. So we do, and it does. Holy crap, my Droid is alive, and it's here. But I still can't find it. It's ringing and I can't find it. We had to call the number three times before I finally found it. It was wedged up between the roof, the roof padding, and the sun visor, and wedged HARD. I grabbed it but it wouldn't come out. I had to take a firm grip and wiggle it back and forth, back and forth, to finally get it out.

Notice in the pictures, the top Glove part that surrounds the screen is gone. Never did find that. But the main part of the Glove is still there, still intact, but showing some signes of wear - ha. The slide out seems to be all good, though it's a bit 'gritty' to the pull. No matter though, cuz I rarely use the keyboard. The screen saver is trashed, but I've got two more so I'll just replace that. I was going to quickly replace the Body Glove with a new one, but after thinking about it, I think I'll keep this one for, uh, conversation starter...:)

Reaction score
What an amazing story!! Thank goodness you are ok! Funny thing, I would have made sure my droid was ok first :)

Biggest question is how is the Droid? Fully operational or do you need to replace it?

Last edited:
OP
MrTommy

MrTommy

Reaction score
Works fine

Believe it or no... it works just fine. I've been busy doing all the stuff I usually do with it and so far, so good. Camera still takes the same mediocre pictures (ha), web browsing still fine. Yeah, it seems to have "taken a lickin and is still tickin".

Man, I didn't want to lose my Droid! :icon_ banana:

xxwabbit

Reaction score
Wow! At first when I started reading this I thought it wouldn't be too bad since the pickup only slammed in the side of the trailer. Looks like some reinforcment is in order for the roof of the cab. But you just convinced me to get the Body Glove since I have been thinking about it for the past week. Glad you got your driod back. And of course, more importantly, you got out safe.

BCrawford

Reaction score
I have a body glove set that I don't use anymore. If you want it, or just the top piece, let me know. Glad your ok.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wow! Glad you and the Droid are ok. Y'all are both tough enough. That truck on the other hand is going to need some touch up paint!!

dayfornight99

Reaction score
glad you are ok! I love the body glove. I had one of those bobble the phone and watch it pop up into the air type phone drops last week. the phone/case took a full fall and direct hit. the case popped off but the phone is fine. love the body glove.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Glad you're alright. Thanks for the post I might get the BG after my Seidio serves it's time. Someone needs to develop a clip/holster for it that will put the screen 'in' thought.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Wow, nice rollover. NREMT-P here....You should play the lotto.
Glad you and your Droid are ok...

Xpain

Reaction score
Screw the droid, glad YOU're ok!! The droid can be replaced, you can't.

OP
MrTommy

MrTommy

Reaction score
Thanks to all

First off, I'd like to thank all you who've voiced 'thankfulness' for my surviving my great adventure. I truly appreciate your thoughts. The old saying about how "it can be taken away in an instant" takes on new meaning for me now. I look at the world in a new way.

Now, back to my Droid... I've been using it a lot since I've been home for several days, and so far, it's working just fine. In fact, the only change I see in it is the 'grittiness' that I feel when I slide out the keyboard. And, I rarely use the keyboard so this isn't a big deal. It definitely took one hell of a hit flying around the cab, bouncing off who knows what, and ending up wedged up in the roof. And still, it works just fine. It's either the Droid and it's hearty build, or the Body Glove that protected it. Or both. I put a new screen saver and it almost looks like new! I'm going to keep the beat up Body Glove on it just because.... I've got a connection to it - ha.

Thanks again all. :noworktomorrow:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Amazing you walked away from that damage un harmed!
And the Droid lucked out too :)

orion2001

Reaction score
Wow! That's crazy and I'm glad you made it without a scratch! Looking at those pics I would have feared the worst for the driver. What happened to the guy who rammed into you? Was he drunk or just driver error?