Touch screen not responsive at all

thegreasyitalian

Reaction score
I appreciate any help or similar stories on this if possible. I placed a phone call on my Droid yesterday, and the line was busy. I went to hang up, touched the End Call button and nothing happened. I tried again, and nothing on the screen would function. I turned the screen power off and on again, and still the screen did nothing, but it was still in the call. After a few minutes of still being in the call, I found I had no choice but to power it down using the power button and keyboard buttons.

Anyway, now the touch screen doesn't function at all. I plugged it into the USB on my computer, but I can't manage to sync anything because I can't use the touch screen to select the USB Mount on the Droid.

Anyway, I've removed the battery, the phone is charged, and as far as I can tell it all works except the touch screen. I can get to the screen to select a hard reset, but I'm not quite convinced that it's my only option yet. I'm hoping there are other people out there who have had this problem and I would appreciate not losing a lot of my texts and data if possible.

Any thoughts? I would love to just be able to mount it to my computer USB to copy whatever I need from it before trying the hard reset. Any way I can do that without being able to unlock the phone?

Thank you!

I'm thinking also it may be related to an app. I had just (maybe 20 minutes prior) installed the app called Miles, which is a card game based off Mille Bornes, the classic French card game. It has some apparent glitches in it, but I'm wondering how much that would affect the phone in general. Application failure? Also, is there any way to erase that app without being able to unlock my phone? I know the apps are stored online somewhere. I probably sound stupid. Any help is appreciated!

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum :D i'm sorry i have no idea but i'll give ya a bump :D

OP
T

thegreasyitalian

Reaction score
I don't like the tone of that "wow"... But thanks for the bumps.

Still no progress on the phone. I'm just curious to know if hard resetting it is even going to work. Or if I can just send it in and the Motorola people can have a field day wondering how it got screwed up. Because apparently no one knows what's wrong with it.

Yaaaaaaay.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sorry. Let me elaborate... wow...that really sucks. I'm sorry to read that.

No offense meant. Have you taken it to a Verizon store yet?

App management online is via computer is not a reality at this point, but sure would make a LOT of things easier!

OP
T

thegreasyitalian

Reaction score
Yup, took it back to where I bought it. No help. He pretty much said "wow" also, haha. Fail.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
800-734-5870. - Moto customer service.

Please update and let us know if you get anywhere on this issue! You shouldn't have to deal with this and they should DEFINITELY replace the phone. It's UNUSABLE.

Last edited:

Big Dawg 23

Reaction score
Yup, took it back to where I bought it. No help. He pretty much said "wow" also, haha. Fail.

Did you root your phone? If not call VZW customer service and explain it. Tell them you need a functioning phone shipped Next Day Air. The store should have already done then.

However, if you rooted the phone they you will be screwed more than like. Then your option becomes filing a insurance claim.

OP
T

thegreasyitalian

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll be calling Customer Service.

And I don't know what "rooting" the phone means, so I probably haven't done it. I haven't done anything more than downloading free apps and using the phone for its intended purposes.

I'll let you know what happens.

gentlefury

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll be calling Customer Service.

And I don't know what "rooting" the phone means, so I probably haven't done it. I haven't done anything more than downloading free apps and using the phone for its intended purposes.

I'll let you know what happens.

if you had rooted you would be able to save your current state, unroot, exchange the phone then restore so you dont have to do anything over.

OP
T

thegreasyitalian

Reaction score
Called Customer Service...

They had me take the screen protector off, which still did nothing, and now they're having me contact my carrier to see if they have an option first before coming back to Motorola Customer Service.

Time for Verizon Customer Service... again. Yay.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sorry to hear! Seems like that's happened to a few people. Vzw sends you to Moto, Moto send you to vzw, and so on and so on.

Best of luck again and keep us posted!

rabbit1566

Reaction score
Phone touch screen locking

This has now happened to me twice. I got my first Moto Droid in November 2009. In February 2010 it locked while I was attempting to take a very important work related call.
I went to a verizon wireless store and they swapped it out for a refurbished phone. Now last night 6/16/2010 it happened again!
This has happened to me twice in eight months! Both times almost exactly four months after activating the phone. Right now I am not very pleased with the motorola product I am stuck with.
Both times the veriazon wireless technician (diffrent one each time) has said "Wow....I've never seen this happen before."
WTF........

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
I appreciate any help or similar stories on this if possible. I placed a phone call on my Droid yesterday, and the line was busy. I went to hang up, touched the End Call button and nothing happened. I tried again, and nothing on the screen would function. I turned the screen power off and on again, and still the screen did nothing, but it was still in the call. After a few minutes of still being in the call, I found I had no choice but to power it down using the power button and keyboard buttons.

Anyway, now the touch screen doesn't function at all. I plugged it into the USB on my computer, but I can't manage to sync anything because I can't use the touch screen to select the USB Mount on the Droid.

Anyway, I've removed the battery, the phone is charged, and as far as I can tell it all works except the touch screen. I can get to the screen to select a hard reset, but I'm not quite convinced that it's my only option yet. I'm hoping there are other people out there who have had this problem and I would appreciate not losing a lot of my texts and data if possible.

Any thoughts? I would love to just be able to mount it to my computer USB to copy whatever I need from it before trying the hard reset. Any way I can do that without being able to unlock the phone?

Thank you!

I'm thinking also it may be related to an app. I had just (maybe 20 minutes prior) installed the app called Miles, which is a card game based off Mille Bornes, the classic French card game. It has some apparent glitches in it, but I'm wondering how much that would affect the phone in general. Application failure? Also, is there any way to erase that app without being able to unlock my phone? I know the apps are stored online somewhere. I probably sound stupid. Any help is appreciated!

I can see that some of Droidforums' best have all ready jumped on this, and even though I'm just a small fish and a pond full of big fish here, I think I'll take a stab at it anyway. I helped a guy out a few months ago who had a similar problem. He wasn't rooted (like you); he had taken his phone hiking with him, took a few pictures, used the GPS, then suddenly the touch screen stopped responding. He battery pulled, plugged it up to full charge it, everything and nothing worked. A hard reset fixed his issue. Doing a hard reset wont erase information stored on the SD card, so no worries there.

In your case, if your worried about loosing your data pull the SD card out and take the information off of it and store it on your computer. You can do this by purchasing a micro-SD to SD adapter. Apps that you've purchased are linked to your google account so you wont have to purchase them again (Not sure if that works when moving to a different phone, but I'm 99% sure that it should). Also, if you have to get a new phone in the event that a hard reset doesn't work, then atleast you'll have this leg to stand on.

Hope something I had to say here helped, and good luck my friend.

rabbit1566

Reaction score

Thank you!

I can see that some of Droidforums' best have all ready jumped on this, and even though I'm just a small fish and a pond full of big fish here, I think I'll take a stab at it anyway. I helped a guy out a few months ago who had a similar problem. He wasn't rooted (like you); he had taken his phone hiking with him, took a few pictures, used the GPS, then suddenly the touch screen stopped responding. He battery pulled, plugged it up to full charge it, everything and nothing worked. A hard reset fixed his issue. Doing a hard reset wont erase information stored on the SD card, so no worries there.

In your case, if your worried about loosing your data pull the SD card out and take the information off of it and store it on your computer. You can do this by purchasing a micro-SD to SD adapter. Apps that you've purchased are linked to your google account so you wont have to purchase them again (Not sure if that works when moving to a different phone, but I'm 99% sure that it should). Also, if you have to get a new phone in the event that a hard reset doesn't work, then atleast you'll have this leg to stand on.

Hope something I had to say here helped, and good luck my friend.

What if you are unable to get into any screen? Including the one to perform a hard reset. Unlike the original poster, I can not get into the phone at all.