Tired of stock Kitkat on my rooted rezound, its slow & buggy, what should I use?

Coupe

Reaction score
With the new iOS coming out soon I am tempted to jump ship and get a new iPhone, but I think I will consider rebuilding my phone first. Currently I am rooted and run the latest stock VZW android OS, and by the time I have my LBE permission manager working properly it kinda sucks.

Every time I look at my phone it is notifying me that "LBE rejected Facebookobtain" or "Rejected messengerread" some damned thing or another. Keeping my personal data safe from invasive apps seems to slow the experience down a bit to the point where I dont even run FB on my phone anymore. And the sense keeps crashing/rebooting for no apparent reason...? (Do I even want sense?)

And I gotta say I LOVE BBM, but it did bog the phone some.

So, if I wanted to try something totally different to feel like I have a new phone, (Maybe without sense? dunno?) and get something that is thin and able to run fast what should I look at (And how would I install it?)

acejavelin

Reaction score
There are tons of custom ROM for the Rez that might work for you, just look on XDA in the Rezound development forums... OmniROM would be a good starting point.

But it really sounds like you need something with more horsepower, a ROM can improve user interaction but it can't make the processor faster... Have you considered the LG G2/G3, HTC M8, Moto X, or Samsung GS5? They would all run circles around the Rezound in performance and battery life.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
I dont know about spending more for the HP thing. It would still spend the majority of resources toward stopping the built in spyware.

In all honesty if it takes these kinda resources just to prevent every app on the marketplace from gathering intell then I think I am better off without android. This phone was fine till I decided I did not like being spied on, then it got all buggy. My screen wont wake back up after a call, so I cant hang up every time, apps are constantly polling my location and contact list and nearly everything else they can try n get. And at times it just wakes up for no reason, curious? I only have apps I need, no games and no gimmicky crap.

I will look at "Omnirom" and see what it has to offer, if I could run Ubuntu on here I would, but the one app I gotta have is Crestron for home control. and that's iOS and Android only.

If I knew Blackberry could run the Crestron android app I would go back. I wonder if that android app would inside the latest BBos?

Thanks for the tip.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
You don't think IOS apps are doing the same thing Android apps do. Apple & Google collects an enormous amount of info about their users.

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
That does not make it right. And no, I do not think that the app store allows the same kinda invasive, viral worm like behavior that the play store does. And I am pretty sure that Apple has a bit more security in their marketplace for apps that phish and troll just for data theft. And from what I have experienced running a jailbroken iphone with cydia does not cause the kinda lag and buggy behavior that I am getting with this rezzy,I dont think the Iphone 4 has the HP that this phone does.

Why the Android community stands for Android apps doing things like they do amazes me, and the defense of it is in itself indefensible. I am not talking about Just Google, verizon, ATT and Apple collecting data, but the people making the third party apps. Everybody knows VZW and Google want your shopping habits, they sell that as a way to make you "User experience better". But I dont want redbox or a weather app accessing other parts of my phone, and I should not need to learn how to root and what apps to get just to stop them from doing that. Much less spend even more money on a fast phone so that I can block those nefarious actions. Do you remember the "Shocking discovery" that made headlines last year about the flashlight app spying on people?

Most users have zero idea what apps really do in the background and somehow even after this revelation the fanbase still ignores the spyware and the fact that Android worked harder at hiding "App ops" from us with Kitkat when instead it should have added a layer of permission control, (I.E. Blackberry) this is beyond reason.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
My 2 cents... If you're here to bash android, then get an iPhone. Apple was spying on you long before android was a thing.

Jailbreaking the new IOS may present you problems by the way.

Sent from my DE Moto X

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Most peeps don't think about or care about what is going on in the background. They just want a phone that works. Your initial concern was speed. Speed is a combination of the hardware and OS. Your hardware is at least 2 years old and is not going to run any OS like current hardware will. Perhaps you should consider an upgrade.

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
Bashing android...there it is. You point out a massive failure and you are now bashing. Got it.

Better phone. Not gonna happen, sorry but this phone has the same capabilities it had when new, and if I run without any privacy management it will run fine.

My INITIAL qeustion was concerning a thinner ROM that could give me more performance. But, from the sound of it many people just buys new phones, while these newer phones have newer processors that run faster, they are asked to do so much more that by the time you start blocking the spyware you will be right back here.

I just want my phone to run the apps I NEED without giving any other apps permissions that I dont feel they need. Why is that so hard?

It amazes me how people will spend money or time to prevent spyware from existing on their PC, but go out of their way to defend it on a phone if it's called an app.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
No the answer is not always buy a new phone. The issue here is that the phone you are talking about Is on the older side. Everything that can be done to increase its longevity has been done. There are Roms out there but the way you are talking, it seems like none of them will give you the magic you are asking for.

Sent from my DE Moto X