Should I root my Galaxy Nexus?

BrUhNiGGs

Reaction score
Okay. Very new to the Galaxy Nexus and this particular part of the forums. I just got a Gnex toad, got it settled and everything and it is running stock 4.0.2. It seems to be running realllllly smooth, no freezes, nothing. I just want to know, is it worth rooting? Will it make my Gnex even faster?

Note: I came from the OG Droid, and I know that it needed to be rooted from the very start since stock was horrible at 500Mhz. Just wondering if rooting is really necessary at this point for the new generation phones - Galaxy Nexus. Thanks.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
As much as you liked to mess with that og, you ask this question? Yes root

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If you're coming from an OG Droid rooted and everything and you have to ask whether to do it to your Nexus....that's criminal man. You're robbing yourself:D

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I think a lot of people that went from og to gnex, including myself, asked that question. A lot of the tinkering we did to the og was to make it faster & smoother. Since the gnex is head & shoulders above the og, why mess with it? I think you'll be happy you did.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent

alboboy10

Reaction score
I'm contemplating rooting too mostly for my battery life nothing else.

I'm getting my nexus replaced this week with another one. If battery life is bad on that phone also and there's problems I'm waiting for the 4.0.5 update to come out and then maybe rooting.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating rooting too mostly for my battery life nothing else.

I'm getting my nexus replaced this week with another one. If battery life is bad on that phone also and there's problems I'm waiting for the 4.0.5 update to come out and then maybe rooting.

Rooting alone does nothing for battery life...

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
No you're good. They only have 4.0.4 because they are rooted. Unless something has changed in the last day or two, I haven't been following closely.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is my gnex like way behind? Its only at 4.0.2 and people who are rooted already have 4.0.4.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Officially? No, 4.0.2 is the most current official build for the Verizon G-Nex.

Unofficially? Yes, you are way behind. 4.0.4 is such a drastic improvement over 4.0.2 that it can't really be put into words, you just need to flash it and experience it for yourself.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Yeah, I finally rooted my gnex using Wug's toolkit. I am going to flash my first rom. Maybe GummyNex?

Choosing that first ROM was SO hard for me, personally. There are so many to choose from, and even more now than when I first rooted mine like 2 months ago. Once 4.0.5 (hopefully) drops, there will be even MORE to choose from. I started with Codename Android, then checked out AOKP and now I am on Axiom Crossbreed. Which is by far my favorite so far. I'd flash more ROMs to check them out, but with school and work and such, I am too lazy to keep resetting up my phone, even though with the Nexus, it takes almost no time at all. It's always just been a pain for me. :p