Tips on conserving the battery

JollyRoger

Reaction score
I hear of folks getting more than a day out of their batteries and maybe today was an exception for me. But I took t off the charger this morning at 6AM EDT and right now (3:55PM EDT) it's almost dead. I did change the timeout from 1 min to 2 min and I'm thinking this may be the issue. What tips/ tricks have you all noticed to conserve the battery life? I do not surf much, yet, only a couple of times a day, and only for a short period of time.

Tominator

Reaction score
screen brightness, i keep mine around 30% or less unless im gaming on it.keep timeout at 30seconds to 1 minute. Make sure many apps arent running in the background either, check the task manager and end what u dont need.

fishmstr

Reaction score
Use the Task Manager App to kill and unused apps. Turn off wireless, bluetooth and GPS if you are not using them.

Reaction score
Use the Task Manager App to kill and unused apps. Turn off wireless, bluetooth and GPS if you are not using them.

Ok where to begin where to begin....
First off i know you mean well but android DOES NOT NEED TASKS TO BE KILLED! end of story, yes even the app killer in touchwiz is bad android can handle its resources fine itself all you will do is cause more battery drain by causing the os to reload the apps into memory when they went even using any power to begin with....

Second: Yes you can turn off wifi and bluetooth but you dont need to have GPS off, gps will not be darning power unless u have an app that actually takes advantage of gps and decides to use it.

Hope this clears up some misconceptions.

LAY OFF THE ANTI VIRUS AND TASK KILLERS PERIOD!

mrdroid

Reaction score

First off i know you mean well but android DOES NOT NEED TASKS TO BE KILLED! end of story, yes even the app killer in touchwiz is bad android can handle its resources fine itself all you will do is cause more battery drain by causing the os to reload the apps into memory when they went even using any power to begin with....

Second: Yes you can turn off wifi and bluetooth but you dont need to have GPS off, gps will not be darning power unless u have an app that actually takes advantage of gps and decides to use it.

Hope this clears up some misconceptions.

Your post is the misconception. Just because the developers on Android claim it's some saving grace to memory management... the fact is Android handles memory very poorly. That's why you see such drastic improvement in battery life when you use task killers properly.

And you obviously don't know what you're talking about in terms of the Fascinate GPS. There is a bug in the Fascinates GPS and IT WILL drain battery 100% of the time it's enabled. Turning off GPS will most likely double your battery life.

ellisz

Reaction score
I have been leaving my gps on and have not noticed a huge difference. I get about 14-16 hrs on a typical day. This is a little better than my D1.

portermac

Reaction score
I used a task killer for 6 months. Thought it was the best app ever.i heard it want needed and it could even cause more battery draining so I took it off my phone. My droid never changed after removing the task killer. If it was that great there would have been a difference. So use the task killer if you want to but it is not helping.

TeeJay

Reaction score
I do most of what was already mentioned along with turning my mobile network to home only instead of automatic.. along with the removal of my live wall paper I've seen a significant battery life increase..

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

OP
JollyRoger

JollyRoger

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have removed the Live Wallpaper and also lowered the brightness and set time out to 1 min. I use the Task Manager frequently to see if anything is running, that shouldn't be. We'll see how it goes today.

Gilmon

Reaction score
My experience also showed that App Killer was not needed. My phone would use up battery charge overnight when turned off after I charged it in the evening. I found if I leave my Droid on but in the Airplane Mode it stays at 100% charge overenight.

kanoftuna

Reaction score
I went from a droid2 to the fascinate and the fascinate is horrible on battery life compared to the other. I had even switched back to the D2 because of this. I had never heard of the GPS thing on the fascinate but reconnected the fascinate and have now turned GPS off to see if it helps.

fordee11

Reaction score
turn off mobile data.. only have it on when you're using/need it.. it will double your battery

AllForNaught

Reaction score
First off i know you mean well but android DOES NOT NEED TASKS TO BE KILLED! end of story, yes even the app killer in touchwiz is bad android can handle its resources fine itself...

Well...you're wrong. The TouchWhiz task killer works perfectly for shutting down apps that would otherwise be constantly running in the background (browser, music player, many gaming apps among others) - you're saying it's BETTER to leave these running?! Not.

I use it every time I'm finished with a given session - it knocks the ram back to around 134mb on my device, and keeps it there until I start something else up. Otherwise there's well over 200mb being used in the background.

I don't recommend auto-task killer apps however, because they're just layered on top of the stock TK and running up the ram useage even more

The OP can get battery life like this if he heeds some of the mentioned advice:

View attachment 34214

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes...Samsungs built in memory manager/task killer is different than auto task killers. I use the built task killer for certain things. The Fascinate IMO is not good at memory management and benefits from killing certain things when you are done with them. For example the stock browser for me never closes, it just sits there eating up memory. So I go into samsungs task killer and kill it.

This task killer is more efficient than an app that would be downloaded from the market as it is built into touchwiz. I do not recommend killing all apps unless your phone is near frozen, as sometimes happens with the fascinate.