Tips and tricks for D2/DX...

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
If you have any cool tips and/or tricks for the D2/DX, which you won't see in the manual or discussed anywhere, then post them here.

Here's one I found out 2 days ago, thanks to mobile_sensei.

Better Phone Call Quality:

- Dial ##7764726

- Enter password: 000000 (this is 6 0's for D2, enter 7 0's for DX)

- Scroll down and click on Vocode

- Click on EVRC-B

- Exit out of that. Your phone will restart. You will now have better phone call quality.

Other tips:

Fast Reboot

Most of you may already know this but this is a useful, quick method to quickly reboot your phone. This is for the D2 only since the DX has no physical hard keyboard.

- On keyboard, press Shift+Alt+Del (phone will now reboot/restart)

Controlling The Gallery From Picking Up Every Pictures

If you don't like how the Gallery picks up every picture, on your SD Card and elsewhere, there is a way to prevent the Gallery from doing that and only showing the pictures you want it to pick up. This is also useful if you have other people looking at your phone and do not want them to see personal/private pictures (especially explicit ones).

- Use Astro File Manager (Adao, Root Explorer, ES and others will work too) to view these files/folders

Side note: May be quicker for you to do this by plugging USB into your phone and to your laptop/PC so you can go through everything on your PC/laptop.

- Create a new folder, or additional folders, and separate your pictures and put them in the respective folder(s). Viewable ones like Pictures, non-viewable ones like Private, and any others in different folders you have created for them.

- For pictures you do not want Gallery to pick up, change that folder name to .nomedia

- For pictures you want Gallery to pick up, leave the folder name as it is

Side note: You can create as many folders as you want and control what can or cannot be picked up by your Gallery. I also would recommend that you keep all the pictures, that you do not want showing up in the Gallery, all in the Private folder that will be inside the .nomedia folder. Check example below:

Folder name: .nomedia

Folders inside .nomedia: PrivatePics1 (folder), PrivatePics2 (folder), PrivatePics3 (folder)

Side note: You don't have to name it Private, or PrivatePics1. It is just an example. But you will need to make sure the primary folder is named .nomedia in order to hide the content from the Gallery. You can name your folders, inside .nomedia, to anything you want to so you know which folder(s) contain what content(s).

Please feel free to add more tips and tricks to this thread. Just make sure it is something useful and we can benefit from. Adding dangerous methods, tips and tricks should not be added to this unless you have a very good tutorial for it that will be brick-proof, or damage-proof. I'll add more as I go.

Last edited:

Aequitas

Reaction score
The better call Q is very cool! In that same menu where it says data rates, if you choose the 153/153 (i just restarted so that might be a little off) but its the bottom option, is that dl/ul speed? right now its selected as 153/9 (or something close)

thank you for posting these! =)

roblusk71

Reaction score
I noticed in that menu there is an option for data calls. Does that mean Skype over 3g?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
I haven't looked into the data rate and data call. I don't know much about those areas and leave it untouched.

I only posted about better call quality because our D2 and DX is using an outdated http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocodervoice encoder algorithm made in 1995. The EVRC-B is the most current one. I don't know why they don't have it set on the most current instead of an outdated one.

A little about EVRC vs EVRC-B:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Variable_Rate_Codec_BEVRC-B is an updated version of EVRC that has many technical improvements over its predecessor. Besides being able to compress sampled speech into an extra 1/4 rate, it has the ability to efficiently encode unvoiced or noise frames. This increases voice quality without necessarily increasing the load on the cellular network.

I'll try to find out what the rest of the options do. You can always just do Google research to find out something you don't know.

roblusk71

Reaction score
I checkmarked the data call and no longer need wifi on to run Skype I can make calls using it too

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

FillTheVoid

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks swagger and mobile sensei. you are a valuable resource.

Cwagmire

Reaction score
Just did the better phone call quality. Now will this make the sound quality better for my speech that goes through or incoming speech from the person I'm talking to or both?

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Just did the better phone call quality. Now will this make the sound quality better for my speech that goes through or incoming speech from the person I'm talking to or both?

Good question. This option is for your speech that goes through. This makes people, who are on the other end, hear you a lot better and sharper on the EVRC-B. EVRC tends to make your voice more muffled and also background noises and other stuff will be added to that and thus makes it a lower quality.

EVRC-B concentrates on just your voice and does a better job of blocking out background noise or anything else.

But there comes a risk for making those changes. Read the thread on this link:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/17480?start=0&tstart=0

markchen

Reaction score
I tried the .nomedia but could not create the folder. It rejected the file name, and now my gallery shows no pictures at all.

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
I tried the .nomedia but could not create the folder. It rejected the file name, and now my gallery shows no pictures at all.

That's weird. Did you make the folder first before putting anything in it? Revert the folder name back to what it was named originally. Then make a .nomedia folder first and drop a couple pictures in it for test purpose. Check your Gallery again for pictures to come up and see if those other couple of pictures are now hidden. I've never had this problem before.

Sent from the D2... obviously...

markchen

Reaction score
I use ES File Explorer to create .nomedia directory. After I create it I did not see it and I connected to my Mac and did not see it. I use terminial and switch to super user and was able to to delete directory (rmdir .nomedia). Right now it seems like that everything in my SD card is hidden from Android OS.

droid doctor

Reaction score

Good question. This option is for your speech that goes through. This makes people, who are on the other end, hear you a lot better and sharper on the EVRC-B. EVRC tends to make your voice more muffled and also background noises and other stuff will be added to that and thus makes it a lower quality.

EVRC-B concentrates on just your voice and does a better job of blocking out background noise or anything else.

What's the risk it says webpage unavailable.

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score

What's the risk it says webpage unavailable.

They took it down due to motorola defining that method as a "hacking, configuration and altering the device that only moto or vzw is allowed to do for you." It was basically labeling risk such as not being able to revert back to EVRC if anything went wrong with the EVRC-B option. I would google it. there's other info on what the differences are, possible issues, etc.

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
I use ES File Explorer to create .nomedia directory. After I create it I did not see it and I connected to my Mac and did not see it. I use terminial and switch to super user and was able to to delete directory (rmdir .nomedia). Right now it seems like that everything in my SD card is hidden from Android OS.

I'll help you out when I get home from work. You shouldn't delete things without thoroughly checking it out first. There are other .nomedia folders on there and you may have deleted the wrong one.

markchen

Reaction score
The .nomedia problem looks like its gone now. I did a battery pull and that seem to do the trick.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums