Keeping files and folders seperate and locked down?

Freefall_Doug

Reaction score
Is there an application that allows you to separate files, and even keep them hidden from applications.

For example I want to keep all of my family pictures in the gallery. I don't need any pictures I take for work to end up in the gallery view.

I have some different excel files, some for work and some for home. I don't need documents to go to pick up the home related spreadsheets.

It would also be nice to lock certain folders from general viewing for privacy when I pass my phone around to people who want to check it out.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i know if you add a "." before a folder name on your SD card it 'hides' the files from your gallery/apps

OP
F

Freefall_Doug

Reaction score
That is good to know, thanks for the tip.

Is there a way to change on the browser the destination of downloads?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is good to know, thanks for the tip.

Is there a way to change on the browser the destination of downloads?

I don't believe so. But if you have a 'file explorer' (EStrongs File Explorer or Astro File Manager) you can move them from the download folder to where ever you'd like once the download is complete.

ch0sen0ne

Reaction score
I've been using the . in front of folders to separate things but I too would like to be able where to specify the downloads to go to save time. Also, I'd like to see an option to password lock certain apps like astro. If you have files you don't want others to see but they happen to click on astro and the files are in the last folder you had open in astro then it will open right up to that.

Being able to password protect certain apps would be awesome, plus the option to specify downloads to certain folders.

One other thing I dont like about astro is if you view pictures in a hidden folder you aren't able to flip through them. You have to go back to the folder and open up the next one.

ch0sen0ne

Reaction score

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keeper? Password & Data Vault v4_2 Application for Android | Tools

check out androlib.com. You can search for apps through the site instead of doing it in the market on your phone.

This is just for storing passwords, correct?

I'd like the option of when trying to open a certain app, ie Astro, it prompts for a password.
From the description that program is just used to store passwords, or am I missing something?

I think so. Was just pointing you in a direction. I'm not sure if there are apps that do what you want yet. Just wanted to give you the link to the androlib.com so you could look around see if you found what you needed. Best part of Android... if it's not available ask some a developer and it can be made! (try the developer section of the forum :) )

OP
F

Freefall_Doug

Reaction score
That is something I didn't even consider. The ability to restrict access to a program would also be useful. I bet that would be hard to implement however, since so many of these programs are off running themselves and doing voodo in the background.

I think the droid is the first spyware based phone software lol.

ch0sen0ne

Reaction score
Thanks, I've searched a little bit in the market for something like this but like you said I dont think it exists yet. I'll hit up the dev forum too and see if its even possible.