Thunderbolt vs. Bionic

altimax98

Reaction score
The bionic has 512mb ram, 16 gig internal memory upgradeable to 48gb... Personally mine will have the internal 16 + 16 donated from my d1

Sent from one of those missing Droids

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The bionic has 512mb ram, 16 gig internal memory upgradeable to 48gb... Personally mine will have the internal 16 + 16 donated from my d1

Liking the poor man solution! I might do the same, buy a cheap 4gig or 8gig (or whatever the min is) to put in my Droid just to store some music and pics - mostly it becomes my new bedside alarm clock.

Reaction score
What battery is the tb have? If The bionic's end up being a 1930 I dun think I could say no.

And I have a 16 in my d1 I would probably donate, but its only a class 2 I just got a class 6 4gig I might use... or get a small class 10 ;) I'm gonna aim for all speed on this one haha... but the sd card would really only be for media imo... I can't imagine even using 16 gigs hahaha (my current one is almost full but I think it could use a wipe)

And lol to the iphone being the new flagship... I think it'll make a big impact but I dunno if it'll be THAT big

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Wantec

Reaction score
As they begin to do more in depth reviews of the CES phones, Limitless DROID, while covering the Droid Bionic, says about the Bionic "What we are being told is that all of these phones are prototypes and will be one of the last 4G phones to actually be released".

So the Bionic will be more advanced than the Thunderbolt, but it will come out later than the Thunderbolt and probably later than the LG LTE phone and the Samsung LTE phone. Something else to consider.

Limitless DROID Blog Archive Motorola DROID Bionic Demo

Scott26

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you wanting to wait but just ended up getting a x I have another phone to upgrade in a year or so and will get it then and hopefully they will have more 4g where I am at by then.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Reaction score
There is a map on verizons website where its available now (of course where I'm at is on there hehehe) I want a bionic and 4g enabled xoom NOOOOW! lol

Sent from my Droid

RLI3

Reaction score
I've been waiting on the Thunderbolt for over 3 months now, because I wanted a 4.3" screen with HTC Sense. I'm not tech savy and don't want to have to Root/ROM my phone, and most people seem to prefer Sense to Blur, out of the box. But, I would like to have the HDMI feature of the Moto, vs the DNLA of the HTC, because my TV is not DNLA equipped. However, I read where HTC is making an accessory for your TV, if you don't have one that's already DLNA equipped. How well does DNLA work vs HDMI? Is this a deal breaker for anyone else? Also, what does it mean to be "Droid branded"? If it is not binged and runs Android 2.2, is it still not a Droid? I hope this is the right thread to post these questions. I did a search first, but I couldn't find anything. Thanks!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Also, what does it mean to be "Droid branded"?

VZW pays George Lucas for the rights to use the Droid branding, which is a trademark he apparently owns. I would guess VZW chooses which phones to slap the Droid brand on, but they may also leverage that with phone makers because of the brand/marketing gained from being branded a Droid.

The Droid brand was probably VZW's answer to compete with the IPhone brand. Now that they appear to be getting the IPhone I'm not sure how much they will continue to push the Droid line as it likely is an expensive branding strategy.

I'd argue that if the above points weren't relevant the Bionic would have been a Droid-branded phone.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree with the op in the sense that Motorola's hardware has been a fail for me (they can't even put a good camera lense in their phones!) And the fact that they are boobie trapping our phones with locked bootloaders...no good. I am all for the Thunderbolt, except I wish it wasn't lacking a hdmi output....so maybe I will not get either. Sense is awesome though.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am changing my vote to neither. I am keeping 3g forever unless 4g pricing is decent.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why is a locked bootloader such a big deal? Didn't the droid X have one? They still put all kinds of custom roms on that phone didn't they?

Because the custom roms on the X and 2 are no where near as nice as on other phones. They have less features, less optimizations, and overall are way harder to make.

Daethian

Reaction score
Good for you X but I have the first Droid which is now completely slow and crappy. Yes, I can delete programs and speed it up but then whats the point.

I have the rooted Original Droid. I can change roms daily, if I like, and it is very snappy. I can tether to my MacBook Pro. I receive Gmail and Exchange. I sent and receive text messages. I can even make and receive phone calls.

In short, it performs and performs very well. For me, no need to give up a work horse. Just my opinion, folks.

Mike

I'm in the same place. My Droid was a dog after Froyo. I rooted and am running liquid gingerbread, overclocked to 1GHZ and its running like a dream.

ntice

Reaction score
my son has the droid and it got so much faster after froyo. strange.
the thunderbolt is awesome. I used to have to wait and wait for the market to open on my X. no more lag!
I"m sure the bionic will be awesome but I didn't want to wait. next thing I'm holding out for is a 3D phone.