Thunderbolt vs. Bionic

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think what you may be seeing as choppy is actually the videos inability to show more than 24 fps. I see this often with youtube videos.

No. You can clearly see what I described an it has nothing to do with the video.

I still think you're mistaken. He also only has enough apps to do a half a scroll, so it could be the jerk you see at the end because it runs out of apps to scroll to and jerks back to the previous list.

Seeing one video and suggesting it has jerky transitions is a bit overboard.

It seems from your past posts you just don't like moto droids.

No, I must not like the moto droid, because I don't like a device that I helped make roms for :icon_ nono2:.
The videos are from the same camera, so it would have shown the same lag on the thunderbolt. I have had enough contact with android phones to clearly see the lag in the video.

I was talking about optimize software. I don't care if the phone was a blackberry, moto, htc, lg, samsung,etc................Don't make assumptions that don't exist.

No, from my posts you would see I don't like taking one step forward, then 2 steps back.

Now you can disagree with me all you want about the video, not going to change my opinion, as its not going to change yours.

So will just have to agree to disagree, but if you decide to continue this pointless discussion, rest assured I will no longer respond.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
HolyGrail keep in mind that the software was NOT optimized at CES on the Bionic/Atrix just yet. Moto has stated they are working on it.

I do like what I have seen so far though. Off topic I cannot find this video I saw for the life of me but the Bionic had Terminal Emulator on it.

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
HolyGrail keep in mind that the software was NOT optimized at CES on the Bionic/Atrix just yet. Moto has stated they are working on it.

I do like what I have seen so far though. Off topic I cannot find this video I saw for the life of me but the Bionic had Terminal Emulator on it.

True..True Cereal, I was actually hoping and counting on it, that this will be the case. My next upgrade will most likely be one of these phones in the future :). The tegra is sweet.

rexdog1888

Reaction score
Why do so many people not like Motorola?

I'm getting the Droid Bionic for sure.(just wish it had more ram)

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why do so many people not like Motorola?

I'm getting the Droid Bionic for sure.(just wish it had more ram)

I bought into android with the notion that I could do what I wanted with my phone. No interest in the iPhone because of that reason. Now, Motorola is turning into Apple. Why should I be stuck with being told I CAN'T do what I want? I'd rather not have an android since I already know what I can do with them once unlocked to their true potential.

Reaction score
So you're getting an iphone to see what you can do? Quite honestly you CAN do some cool things with an unlocked iphone (one of my coworkers is a coder and does stuff with his) BUT it is a LOT harder. I'm also sure there's a huge community for it.... but I haven't looked into it.

Personally, I just like android better, because 1: I've never liked apple products (i feel their mobile products are the ONLY apple products worth the money nowadays) 2:it's going to be incorporated into a TOOOOON of products within the next couple of years.

And I don't see how any verizon customer could NOT like motorola, they practically save us as far as high end phones are concerned...

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
Didn't I read it from here that the Bionic's bootloader most likely would not be locked? From the heated discussions here that must have turned up as not being the case. That being said, when intel first released their dual core pentiums, I instead went with an AMD FX (this was back in what 2003 or so?) and when I finished overclocking, etc I had a computer that easily beat the dual core systems for almost a year.

Would I go with a Thunderbolt now though? No way. Like said earlier, that phone is a top of the line phone running on last gen hardware (compared to what is on the horizon). I think the argument here is more related to Motorola locking down the d2/x and a feeling of wanting that lost power back. I completely sympathize and agree hut even if I wanted HTC instead I think I would wait until they released something with beefier hardware personally.

Nvidia is known to make overclock friendly chips, and hell they even provide software to facilitate this. It's going to he interesting to see what they can do here. I already have a hunch that even running in single core, the tegra will still outperform the competition (what's out now). The 1GHz will probably run on par with a TI ar 1.2 or 1.3, not to mention that it will own in 3d performance. Then add in support for two cores and there won't even be a comparison. People are already reporting that the tegra has a 3x performance gain right now and I doubt that was even with software that fully supported dual cores.

The Bionic's RAM...well I am happy to wait and see what actually unfolds as we still have plenty of time before that comes out. But if I had to choose between one of these phones today, I would easily pick the Bionic. Is it what I will upgrade to? Dunno as by then something else will be on the horizon but I seriously doubt picking up a Thunderbolt would ruin somebodies day. It's way to earle for me on a Sunday morning so excuse me if I made no sense lol.

Reaction score
Yeah, the problem im having with phone upgrades is I might HAVE to use mine in march... maybe I'll have to give it to my wife so she can get a tb and ill wait for the bionic (and might have to pay full price) hahaha

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

SpikeJones

Reaction score
I've been reading this thread, again and again, reviewing past posts multiple times.
Even though I have read these posts many times, I still am not able to decide which phone I want.

I initially wanted the thunderbolt, but the bionic sounds like an excellent phone as well.

I do not need to put any roms on my phone, so I really do not mind if the bootloader (what is that by the way? Something when the phone first starts?) is locked or not.

However, I am the type of person who wants the new, cool, and hip items.
I constantly browse different android news sites, so I am familiar with android (I have a cliq :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil: uugh) and LOVE android so much.

But, about me wanting the new items, sure these phones are new, but I get what people are saying about the thunderbolt being a new generation device running on old hardware.
Sure, because I am not going to rom my phone, or am a developer, I do not NEED dual core, but I want something that my friends do not have, even though they probably do not know what the hell dual core, or even CPU means.

Both phone's CPU's are a HUGE jump from my cliq, about double it's processor.

Because I love both phones, I am probably going to jump at whichever comes out first.

I'm mostly doing this for my parents, as they still have the razr...snicker....and they too, want to be updated, and hip, as well as using it for work. (They want the droid 2 and x)

So, unless a great, great argument comes up convincing me to get the thunderbolt or the bionic, I'll probably get the one that comes out first.

Oh!
Sorry for the length of this post.
It should be it's own thread probably, but I just wanted to get my words out there.

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree with you 100% Spike.. Sold myself on the Thunderbolt probably cause it was coming out first and well the Bionic is really nice, but TB would get the job done.. Until I really thought about one thing.. I watch movies and TV all day.. Would love to have a kickstand on my phone, but the TB has its charge port right below it.. You couldn't charge and watch at same time with the stand out.. WTF.. Then I got to thinking.. dock.. but then whats the point of the kickstand.. IDK.. for now waiting to see these things live and the accessories.. Then will decide....

SpikeJones

Reaction score
Agree with you 100% Spike.. Sold myself on the Thunderbolt probably cause it was coming out first and well the Bionic is really nice, but TB would get the job done.. Until I really thought about one thing.. I watch movies and TV all day.. Would love to have a kickstand on my phone, but the TB has its charge port right below it.. You couldn't charge and watch at same time with the stand out.. WTF.. Then I got to thinking.. dock.. but then whats the point of the kickstand.. IDK.. for now waiting to see these things live and the accessories.. Then will decide....

And about the dock, I have heard rumors that there won't be a dock for the TB.
Maybe there will be, who knows.

I'm sure there will be one for the Bionic, as it'd moto and droid, but just bc there were docks for the Droid 1+2, and X, doesn't mean the same for the bionic.

ALSO

memory.

If I am not mistaken, the TB doesn't have much internal memory, does it?
I mean, I that is a HUGE step from a 2GB MicroSD card in my cliq.
BUt what about the Bionic?

And, kind of going off track, what EXACTLY does the CPU do?
I know this is a very general question, that should go into a different forum, but I want to ask very quickly, so the whole forum doesn't divert from the actual subject.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the CPU can control switching from apps to apps and what else?
I don't need a huge long answer, just the basics.
:)

altimax98

Reaction score
Imagine the cpu as the brain of your phone... Every aspect of the phone, even the dialer all have to go through it.. The more cores to do the work the better..
its like having two dishwashers instead of overworking one... Each dishwasher takes its load and it gets done quicker.

As for the TB choice of a single core.... I dunno, I think they may have screwed themselves especially with the new upgrade issues.

Sent from one of those missing Droids