thunderbolt output to television ?

BkraM

Reaction score
Has anyone had success in getigntheir thunderbolt to output to a TV? My tv has HDMI inputs but is not DLNA capable, so I am not sure what to expect or how to try sincethere is no output jack on the phone.

mark3748

Reaction score
Have it working on my xbox and Sony bluray, was fun to get it setup but I don't see myself actually needing it. That media link adapter is your best bet if you don't have any other DLNA capable devices on your TV.

krusty46

Reaction score
Have it working on my xbox and Sony bluray, was fun to get it setup but I don't see myself actually needing it. That media link adapter is your best bet if you don't have any other DLNA capable devices on your TV.
How did you connect it to your Xbox without DLNA?

mark3748

Reaction score
How did you connect it to your Xbox without DLNA?

Xbox 360 is a dlna client. it's not certified, but it works.

krusty46

Reaction score
Cool, it works! Now I feel better about not having a hdmi port. Didnt try videos, but pictures worked.

Thanks

OP
B

BkraM

Reaction score
Thunderbolt to non-DLNA TV

Thanks for the link on that adapter and for everyone else's input. The adapter is pricier than I was hoping it may be. *I guess there's not an App for that~

OP
B

BkraM

Reaction score
I am not sure if I am reading mark3748's post correctly. So; can an Xbox or blue ray player which is DLNA capable be used as a bridge to the TV from the smartphone, thereby negating the need for the adapter? If so; maybe just pay a few bucks more for one of those and have something more out of it. Thanks in advance.

krusty46

Reaction score
I am not sure if I am reading mark3748's post correctly. So; can an Xbox or blue ray player which is DLNA capable be used as a bridge to the TV from the smartphone, thereby negating the need for the adapter? If so; maybe just pay a few bucks more for one of those and have something more out of it. Thanks in advance.
Yes. I downloaded iMediaShare from the market, switched to WiFi and it immediately showed up in my Xbox as a media device.
I'm sure there are better apps, but it was the 1st one I clicked on.
I don't have any videos on my phone to try streaming videos, but pictures worked fine.

OP
B

BkraM

Reaction score
Thunderbolt to non-DLNA Television

Very good; thanks. I should be getting my thunderbolt today and plan to rig it up to work one way or another. If/when I get it settled; I will have to revisit the post what I end up doing.

gatewayad

Reaction score
Yes. I downloaded iMediaShare from the market, switched to WiFi and it immediately showed up in my Xbox as a media device.
I don't have any videos on my phone to try streaming videos, but pictures worked fine.

I dont have anything DLNA yet, but i was told you dont need an additional app that one is already on the phone called Connected Media, does it not work as i am trying to figure out how to get my bluray player hooked up to my wireless network without much cost?

mat4ov

Reaction score

I dont have anything DLNA yet, but i was told you dont need an additional app that one is already on the phone called Connected Media, does it not work as i am trying to figure out how to get my bluray player hooked up to my wireless network without much cost?

I may be wrong, but it appears that the built in app is simply a client and not a server. I first tried the built in client when hooking up to my xbox and the xbox couldn't see the phone. However, once I downloaded iMediaShare it immediately connected to the xbox, which is what leads me to believe the built in app doesn't have server capabilities. I haven't tried photos or music, but I did test the connection by streaming a movie and it worked flawlessly.

gatewayad

Reaction score
thanks works great

I may be wrong, but it appears that the built in app is simply a client and not a server. I first tried the built in client when hooking up to my xbox and the xbox couldn't see the phone. However, once I downloaded iMediaShare it immediately connected to the xbox, which is what leads me to believe the built in app doesn't have server capabilities. I haven't tried photos or music, but I did test the connection by streaming a movie and it worked flawlessly.

nefariousity

Reaction score
Any chance there's going to be an App to stream the actual -screen- output over DLNA?