Thunderbolt now or Bionic later?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I like the fact that you can have ulv kernels. It helps with battery life. However, things are still getting almost to the point where you don't really need to tweak stuff. That doesn't mean I will stop wanting to though lol.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

cpjr

Reaction score
Its kinda like with cars......for example.

I had a car (well, I used to be very into cars....yeah know, pre-family) that I started out with 300hp.

Didnt last long before I was pushing about 450hp. Car felt amazing.

Didnt last long either....then was pushing about 550. Way to much for the road, really.

Still got old and I was tuning it to almost 700hp. WAY to much to actually use.

And still, by the time I was done it was at nearly 775hp.

Point is....enough, is......well......never enough :)

wooddale

Reaction score
Like I said earlier I dont do any gaming Im just on the internet all the time emails and crap and I am in a 4G area my Thunderbolt is really ten times faster than my DX overclocked which is what I was looking but like you say it will be old news soon my computer is about a year old running windows7 and the Thunderbolt is almost as fast but my computer is a year old too back to the same loop lol

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Its kinda like with cars......for example.

I had a car (well, I used to be very into cars....yeah know, pre-family) that I started out with 300hp.

Didnt last long before I was pushing about 450hp. Car felt amazing.

Didnt last long either....then was pushing about 550. Way to much for the road, really.

Still got old and I was tuning it to almost 700hp. WAY to much to actually use.

And still, by the time I was done it was at nearly 775hp.

Point is....enough, is......well......never enough :)

Yes but lets say you bought that same car off the lot and it did a 8 second 1/4 mile. If you were using it as a daily driver you'd be quite pleased with it. You wouldn't feel the need to dump more money into it trying to squezze more power and speed out of it unless you used it as a race car.

Emailing, texting, calling, gaming etc etc is all I use my phone for. I don't race iPhones and other Android devices for sport : )

I understand tweaking and massaging the "old" single cores for more speed and performance. You can benifit from it. Dual cores are plenty fast and cutting edge. Plus we keep these devices for 18 plus months and the software will grow into the architecture. The arguement about the software not catching up yet is all the more reason to only purchase Dual Core.

One will be AHEAD of the curve and grow into the hardware rather the other way around.

Sent from my Droid

RPA-DROID

Reaction score
Personally the Thunderbolt battery issues are being blown of of proportion, at least in 3G coverage areas. Since I got my phone I've only had to charge it at night and I can go the whole day without needing to charge it. Yesterday I went from 8AM to 11PM and still had 40% battery left, today I unplugged it over 8 hours ago and I'm still at 90%.

I just boxed my TBolt up to send back due to battery life... I have been "living with" my DInc battery issues for the last year and don't know why I thought the TBolt would be any different (was hoping)... In my case anyway, I am not able to get thru more than a half a day without plugging in my phone - the TBolt was just marginally better... I know about all the battery savings "techniques" and it seems rather foolish to turn everything off in order to get better battery life (IMO)... I depend on email to stay connected to contractors throughout the day and having it set for extended periods of time tends to defeat the purpose of being able to get the email on your mobile.

So it's back to the DInc for now and hopefully the Bionic will have better battery life?

Just my opinion and my experience with how I need to use my phone.....

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
RPA-DROID I agree that the lengths people are going to to get better battery life on the TB is ridiculous. Shame on HTC/Verizon for putting out a product like this in order to meet a release date.

They better get it right soon because LG and Samsung are about to make a big appearance this year. I know people will say "updates this" and "new to the game" that but the average consumer doesn't know any better. They want a great device...period and with these new handsets coming (LG/Samsung) out the competition just got A LOT stiffer. Poor battery life will kill HTC if they don't get it together quickly.

Droid101

Reaction score
Personally the Thunderbolt battery issues are being blown of of proportion, at least in 3G coverage areas. Since I got my phone I've only had to charge it at night and I can go the whole day without needing to charge it. Yesterday I went from 8AM to 11PM and still had 40% battery left, today I unplugged it over 8 hours ago and I'm still at 90%.

I just boxed my TBolt up to send back due to battery life... I have been "living with" my DInc battery issues for the last year and don't know why I thought the TBolt would be any different (was hoping)... In my case anyway, I am not able to get thru more than a half a day without plugging in my phone - the TBolt was just marginally better... I know about all the battery savings "techniques" and it seems rather foolish to turn everything off in order to get better battery life (IMO)... I depend on email to stay connected to contractors throughout the day and having it set for extended periods of time tends to defeat the purpose of being able to get the email on your mobile.

So it's back to the DInc for now and hopefully the Bionic will have better battery life?

I think the main reason for poor battery life is that HTC put the same exact capacity battery as the OG Droid:icon_eek:. Which I cant understand why they would when the TB has a faster processor and a much larger screen with 4G to top it off.

The Bionic has a monster battery in it so im hoping that will lead to much better battery life compared to the TB.

Reaction score
Design is a big part I.e. DROID 1 and 2 ha e exact same battery, but stock the 2 gets way better life

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Xak02

Reaction score

I think the main reason for poor battery life is that HTC put the same exact capacity battery as the OG Droid:icon_eek:. Which I cant understand why they would when the TB has a faster processor and a much larger screen with 4G to top it off.

The Bionic has a monster battery in it so im hoping that will lead to much better battery life compared to the TB.

Ok so I've got a nooby question here: OG Droid = D1 correct?

It's some kind of abbreviation OriGinal Droid?

wooddale

Reaction score

That would be correct

rage151

Reaction score

OG = Original Gangsta Droid. Old skool...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Xak02

Reaction score

OG = Original Gangsta Droid. Old skool...

Ohhhh. Thank you both for clarifying.

Reaction score
i'm so tired of my D1 locking up, and knowing there's a better android phone out on verizon right now kills me. but i will dutifully wait for the LG Revolution, the Samsung Charge, over even the Bionic. hopefully they'll come sooner rather than later...

geoff5093

Reaction score
My friend forgot to charge his overnight once, and came into work and showed me his TB had been on for over 27 hours and had 15% life left. My TB continues to last all day with 30-50% battery remaining.

sirdroid

Reaction score
i'm so tired of my D1 locking up, and knowing there's a better android phone out on verizon right now kills me. but i will dutifully wait for the LG Revolution, the Samsung Charge, over even the Bionic. hopefully they'll come sooner rather than later...

I feel your pain. I am in the same boat. Tired of D1's inability to carry out simple tasks, frequent lockups, fcs to name a few. I may even go for the iphone5 if it comes out early. I need something that just works.