Thoughts on the XOOM From an Average Consumer

OP
A

ArrTooDeeToo

Reaction score
I don't think people are as stupid as you guys think. At some point, most people will stop and say "Hey, wait! I already pay $30 for phone data and $49 for high speed internet at home. Why should I pay another $20-$35 a month for more data?" especially right now when everyone is watching their wallets because of the economy. I do agree that there will be some people who just don't think things through and will go along with anything because they just want "Teh L337 tabletz nao!!", but saving money is a growing fad these days, and I just don't think too many people are going to willingly sign a contract for a tablet.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
@ckeegan: But you're only considering the 3G/4G Xoom with a contract. To me, a wireless contract on this device isn't even necessary if you already have a phone that tethers. You're just allowing your carrier to double dip.

I certainly don't think it should be $299, but the price of the wifi only Xoom vs the iPad lineup just isn't too compelling of a value. I really think $599 for a wifi only model would seal the deal.

h1br1d7heory

Reaction score
I don't think people are as stupid as you guys think. At some point, most people will stop and say "Hey, wait! I already pay $30 for phone data and $49 for high speed internet at home. Why should I pay another $20-$35 a month for more data?" especially right now when everyone is watching their wallets because of the economy. I do agree that there will be some people who just don't think things through and will go along with anything because they just want "Teh L337 tabletz nao!!", but saving money is a growing fad these days, and I just don't think too many people are going to willingly sign a contract for a tablet.

Two things:

1. Tablets do NOT require a contract. We have discussed this MULTIPLE times already.

2. Some people are mobile more than they are at home. So if you need data on the road, and your 4" smartphone screen won't cut it...then the Xoom is your answer.

OP
A

ArrTooDeeToo

Reaction score
I really think $599 for a wifi only model would seal the deal.

Agreed!

$600 was my top dollar price for the XOOM when it launched, and I don't plan to spend a penny more (aside from taxes). And I'm not alone (by a longshot!).

Of course, there are still going to be a handful of folks who will balk at that price, that's probably a smaller percentage of people than those who are willing throw down 800 smackers for the thing. I think the fact that many people want a WiFi version + the fact that most people want a cheaper model shows that Moto missed the boat unless they release an entry level model.

Someone earlier stated they thought Apple had too many iPad models. I tend to agree, but that was really Apples own fault for not releasing it with an SD slot. They could have had fewer models and still have been successful, but they like everything locked down, so it fits their mantra. I think Moto only needs to release two models at launch to be successful with the XOOM.

h1br1d7heory

Reaction score
There has been rumor that Moto IS in fact working on a WiFi only model...however, not for launch. So for those that only want the WiFi model, sorry you'll have to wait...but it SHOULD be coming. Be patient OR shell out a little more those are your options.

OP
A

ArrTooDeeToo

Reaction score
1. Tablets do NOT require a contract. We have discussed this MULTIPLE times already.

I guess we'll see when VZW starts their ad campaign. I lean towards Verizon being a little greedy with this and say there is a chance they will require a contract just because they have exclusivity. If it turns out to be false, I will gladly eat my words, but if it turns out to be true, a lot of people are going to be more disappointed than what they already are.

There has been rumor that Moto IS in fact working on a WiFi only model...however, not for launch. So for those that only want the WiFi model, sorry you'll have to wait...but it SHOULD be coming. Be patient OR shell out a little more those are your options.

I've said it before: This is a mistake!

So many people are impressed with the XOOM, but are still on the fence about it. By the time a WiFi version launches, a lot of these people will have jumped off the fence and bought an iPad2 in April. I, for one, plan to wait for a WiFi model, but only because I bleed Android green and think Honeycomb is much better suited for tablets than iOS (Not that the iPad isn't a fine product in its own right. It's just not for me). Not everyone is going to wait for a WiFi version, though. Especially if Apple wows everyone with something unbelievable and releases it at a price that everyone can be happy with. I guarantee Cupertino has been watching the XOOM as closely as many of us have and are planning their strategy accordingly. Motorola better watch their back is all I have to say.

Last edited:

ckeegan

Reaction score

I guess we'll see when VZW starts their ad campaign. I lean towards Verizon being a little greedy with this and say there is a chance they will require a contract just because they have exclusivity. If it turns out to be false, I will gladly eat my words, but if it turns out to be true, a lot of people are going to be more disappointed than what they already are.
If they don't require a 1 or 2 year contract (or even offer one for that matter) for the iPad/MiFi, which they just started offering not too long ago, they're not going to stray from that with the Xoom. They even market their tablet plans as "no obligation, month-to-month data plans, starting at $20 for 1GB".

I've said it before: This is a mistake!
Actually, the mistake is thinking that an unbranded Wi-Fi only Xoom is going to be cheaper, especially given Moto's added cost of marketing/selling/distributing a Wi-Fi only model themselves.

Last edited:

squeak

Reaction score
Maybe everyone would have been happier if the Xoom came out for $299, and required a 2-year agreement. The average consumer is relatively stupid, so they probably wouldn't realize that this scenario (at the cheapest tablet plan - $20/1GB) would have resulted in a final cost of $779, not including any taxes or fees associated with the device or data plan. But hey, at least in their eyes, it would have been $200 less than the cheapest iPad.

call me stupid if you like, but i would jump all over that deal. think about it this way, you're paying $80 plus fees and taxes (keeping in mind that you still have to pay tax on $699 if you buy it with no contract) for 2 years of service. i would gladly take the money i have saved for a xoom and add a little bit and pay the whole thing up front, even though i am the kind of guy who hates to sign contracts, because it is an incredible deal. the majority of the places i would use a tablet would be near a wifi connection, so the 1gb per month would be great if i just happened to take it on a short trip(and yes i do have tethering, but it seems like that would be a hassle to set it up before using it and would kind of defeat the purpose of an instant on, at your fingertips device). i like the idea of having 3g capabilities, because there are times that it would be nice, but unless a deal similar to the one ckeegan posted is offered i would rather have it on a month to month basis.

Last edited:

ckeegan

Reaction score
call me stupid if you like, but i would jump all over that deal. think about it this way, you're paying $80 plus fees and taxes (keeping in mind that you still have to pay tax on $699 if you buy it with no contract) for 2 years of service. i would gladly take the money i have saved for a xoom and add a little bit and pay the whole thing up front, even though i am the kind of guy who hates to sign contracts, because it is an incredible deal. the majority of the places i would use a tablet would be near a wifi connection, so the 1gb per month would be great if i just happened to take it on a short trip(and yes i do have tethering, but it seems like that would be a hassle to set it up before using it and would kind of defeat the purpose of an instant on, at your fingertips device). i like the idea of having 3g capabilities, because there are times that it would be nice, but unless a deal similar to the one ckeegan posted is offered i would rather have it on a month to month basis.
Then buy it at Best Buy, put $299 down, and use 18 months same as cash to pay it off. You'd pay $22 a month for those 18 months, so you'd have 6 months to spare by the time it's all said and done. To make it equal, when you are on those trips, call Verizon and activate the data plan when you're going out of town. You could do that 6 times, and still be equal to the scenario I listed in my previous post.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Then buy it at Best Buy, put $299 down, and use 18 months same as cash to pay it off. You'd pay $22 a month for those 18 months, so you'd have 6 months to spare by the time it's all said and done. To make it equal, when you are on those trips, call Verizon and activate the data plan when you're going out of town. You could do that 6 times, and still be equal to the scenario I listed in my previous post.

If you have a credit or debit card use the points to get Best Buy gift card which will decrease the cost.

squeak

Reaction score

i suppose that would be equal in cost.. but not equal in that you would get 4 times as many months of service all for the same price. not to mention not having to weigh the options and decide if a short trip is long enough to warrant activating a month of service. i see where you were coming from and agree that most contracts are no good, and dont mean to argue, just wanted to say that if what you posted were the terms of the contract, i would go for it.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
There's not gonna be a contract. At least that's my guess.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

squeak

Reaction score
i hope they offer it both on and off contract. i want to see this do well, because i want to see lots of quality apps.