10 Rock Solid Reasons Why The Xoom Is Better Then ipad 2

cpjr

Reaction score
Same here, I have a 3 year old Alum Macbook Pro, still running original battery and runs like I just pulled it out of the box.

xan

Reaction score
agreed.
its just sad to see everyone discount the reasons why a xoom might be better than the iPhad, by only citing sales shares.

I cant wait to see if ASUS can transform this market into something thats actually competitive and inovative at the same time

cpjr

Reaction score
^Well yeah agreed, you cant go by sales #'s alone.

azaraith

Reaction score
Here is one giant reason its not better. Moto has only sold 100k while the ipad has sold tens of millions. Spec wise sure the Xoom may have an edge but where it matters most, sales, its not even a competition as of yet.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

Now why does that matter to a consumer looking to purchase a tablet? The "me too" phenomenon? Must have what everyone else does? Must be better because it's most popular? (by that logic, Katy Perry is the best musician right now & Justin Bieber is awesome). An objective view of the tablets doesn't need to include how many have sold - that just tells us what the public has chosen as "best" for whatever reason. Marketing, price, early availability, fashion, general lack of technical knowledge, etc (I'm going with marketing and lack of knowledge).

Oh, and by that same logic, a Toyota Corolla is better than a Lamborghini Murcielago... Or, if you're looking for practicality, a BMW 5 Series, etc. Most sales != best product, necessarily.

Last edited:

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here is one giant reason its not better. Moto has only sold 100k while the ipad has sold tens of millions. Spec wise sure the Xoom may have an edge but where it matters most, sales, its not even a competition as of yet.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

Now why does that matter to a consumer looking to purchase a tablet? The "me too" phenomenon? Must have what everyone else does? Must be better because it's most popular? (by that logic, Katy Perry is the best musician right now & Justin Bieber is awesome). An objective view of the tablets doesn't need to include how many have sold - that just tells us what the public has chosen as "best" for whatever reason. Marketing, price, early availability, fashion, general lack of technical knowledge, etc (I'm going with marketing and lack of knowledge).

If you read the whole thread, I went on to say I was speaking from a business standpoint. From a consumer side it is far more subjective.

spillner

Reaction score
Motorola needs to start taking a page from Apple and start marketing the Xoom for everyone. So far they seem to really be targeting the gamer/scifi demographic. While apple, seems to be much more broad in who they're marketing too. They need to start advertising what the Xoom can do, but do it in a way that non-techie types can understand. They also need to start showing off the apps that are Honeycomb optimized.

Xoom is very capable of a lot of things but you would never know by the commercials. Lets see a family looking at pictures or movies on a large flat screen TV. Show off Flash videos. Demonstrate the voice searches. Lets see someone dragging and dropping pictures and files without using iTunes. Show off the damn display and how you can customize it to really make it your own device, unlike the iPad 2.

Motorola only has themselves to blame for they're low numbers and should consider a new advertising campaign similar to that of the OG Droid.

Just my .02c

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
All of this sounds so familiar. Just substitute Droid for Xoom and iPhone for iPad and the thread could have been written 18 months ago. So here's a somewhat different take.

First, until now the only Apple devices in the household have been a couple of iPods, one almost five years old, the other a recent Nano my wife uses. Otherwise, the household includes five notebook PC's (three of mine, one each for my wife and six year old daughter, the last being a castoff from my wife); a quadcore desktop; a Kindle, and a couple of Android smartphones. Will probably upgrade my Droid to the Bionic in the fall. So the bottom line is that I'm hardly an Apple fanboy.

So why did I just decide to purchase an iPad2? After all, I hardly need it for travel. The netbook and the laptop workstation fill that need. For the limited games I play, the desktop is more than sufficient (as is the laptop workstation.) I have about 100 apps on my cell phone and use about 15 on a regular basis. And if I were going to get a tablet, why not the Xoom with admittedly more potential.

The answer is simple. Last weekend my wife's brother and his kids came to visit. He brought along his iPad and my six year old was completely hooked in fifteen minutes. She played games; she read books; she spent an hour doing arithmetic!

What is often missed in these discussions is that devices like an iPad may not be "personal" in the sense that several members of the family may use it, not a single person. The greater "customization" potential of Android devices (including the Xoom) is unimportant compared to the ease of use for every member of the family. And with thousands and thousands of apps, we can all find a use for the iPad.

Was I tempted to get a Xoom instead? Sure. But my Droid is so different from my wife's that she would hardly know where to find her apps on my phone. And my daughter wouldn't know where to start, much less how to deal with "phone storage low" messages.

The bottom line is that Apple has created a device that several members of a family can share and can be used by a six year old as easily as by an adult. Is it cutting edge technology? No. But I don't want cutting (much less bleeding) edge technology for a device my daughter uses. I just want it to work reliably and run apps that she can understand and benefit from.

If I wanted to push the envelope in terms of tablet technology, I'd have made a different choice. But frankly, I have other devices with far more potential if envelope pushing is my objective. And with an iPad my daughter and I can share a user experience or each of us can use it for what interests us.

That is the genius of Apple's consumer product design. And they've set a standard that no one else has come close to.

spillner

Reaction score
All of this sounds so familiar. Just substitute Droid for Xoom and iPhone for iPad and the thread could have been written 18 months ago. So here's a somewhat different take.

First, until now the only Apple devices in the household have been a couple of iPods, one almost five years old, the other a recent Nano my wife uses. Otherwise, the household includes five notebook PC's (three of mine, one each for my wife and six year old daughter, the last being a castoff from my wife); a quadcore desktop; a Kindle, and a couple of Android smartphones. Will probably upgrade my Droid to the Bionic in the fall. So the bottom line is that I'm hardly an Apple fanboy.

So why did I just decide to purchase an iPad2? After all, I hardly need it for travel. The netbook and the laptop workstation fill that need. For the limited games I play, the desktop is more than sufficient (as is the laptop workstation.) I have about 100 apps on my cell phone and use about 15 on a regular basis. And if I were going to get a tablet, why not the Xoom with admittedly more potential.

The answer is simple. Last weekend my wife's brother and his kids came to visit. He brought along his iPad and my six year old was completely hooked in fifteen minutes. She played games; she read books; she spent an hour doing arithmetic!

What is often missed in these discussions is that devices like an iPad may not be "personal" in the sense that several members of the family may use it, not a single person. The greater "customization" potential of Android devices (including the Xoom) is unimportant compared to the ease of use for every member of the family. And with thousands and thousands of apps, we can all find a use for the iPad.

Was I tempted to get a Xoom instead? Sure. But my Droid is so different from my wife's that she would hardly know where to find her apps on my phone. And my daughter wouldn't know where to start, much less how to deal with "phone storage low" messages.

The bottom line is that Apple has created a device that several members of a family can share and can be used by a six year old as easily as by an adult. Is it cutting edge technology? No. But I don't want cutting (much less bleeding) edge technology for a device my daughter uses. I just want it to work reliably and run apps that she can understand and benefit from.

If I wanted to push the envelope in terms of tablet technology, I'd have made a different choice. But frankly, I have other devices with far more potential if envelope pushing is my objective. And with an iPad my daughter and I can share a user experience or each of us can use it for what interests us.

That is the genius of Apple's consumer product design. And they've set a standard that no one else has come close to.

Simple solution, if you want your kids to play with any Android device then put the games/apps you want them to use on the main home screen. This idea that i-products are so easy a child can use it is really stupid because all apple did was display every app in your face at all times. You can create a folder called "Games" and put every game on your phone right on the home screen, that's what I did for my niece and nephew when they wanna play with my phone and they're 6 and 8.

The only edge the iPad really has is in the number apps it has. This is really Apples only saving grace in my opinion. But to be honest, I only use about 10 apps and alot of the best games are now multi platformed.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
This is one of the better Apple Android threads I've seen but I still see a few of the usual pitfalls. The Apple products are not simply marketed half ass devices. There is a lot of very sound technology and design to them that other makers simply aren't matching. As far as Flash, y'all might want to take a look at the paper of the past two days. That's about to be a non-issue. Adobe and Apple just worked out a a deal on streaming and other items and they will be coming into play. Also, Microsoft Silverlight just conceded to HTML 5, so I expect HTML 5 is about to really start jumping.

It is possible for another device other than an Android to be good, I promise. It's okay and won't be the end of the world. It seems that a lot of those posting on here have experience with the Apple products, but I am constantly amazed by both the Android and Apple bashers alike that slam the other products without ever as much as trying them. That is blind loyalty and just not smart, in my opinion.