This cant seriously be how this phone is supposed to operate

GT Motion

Reaction score
Why are my contacts merging? I have a "Willy" and a "Billy" and it is merging them together putting "Willy" as the given name and "Billy" as the family name. I NEVER PUT THAT IN THERE LIKE THAT.

They are two seperate contacts and it merges them into the same person.
I have a Kat and a Kathy, an it merges them together without asking me saying its the same person.

If I enter a contact seperately, keep it seperate, why on earth would this phone automatically put names that "sound similar" together as if they are the same person.

Sorry for the frustrating post but I cant get wallpapers to fit right, the phone calls people sometimes randomly and now I am getting texts from "Willy" when its actually "Billy", and when I go delete Billy's info from Willy's profile it will have just Willy's info, so I should be good just entering Billy's info now right?

So I go in, "Add new contact" put in Billy's info, and put in Billy's number and again, it merges it with Willy and says this is Willy's second # and that Billy must be Willy's second name.

WTF PHONE I AM NOT EVEN IN WILLY'S PROFILE I AM IN THE MAIN SCREEN INPUTTING A NUMBER! :mad:

OP
G

GT Motion

Reaction score
Are you using Facebook Contact syncing? I ended up just turning it off for now, since it was screwing with my contacts. I wish it would use e-mail or some other field to key off of instead of name.

I am using whatever is defualt, and I am kind of dissappointed that Verizon has released a phone that is not very user friendly in many regards. The small majority that are on forums can barely get things to work right, I can only imagine the frustration of the people that are trying it alone.

I love the phone but I am really getting ticked that the simple things liek wallpapers and contacts dont even function properly, it should be a simple click and go operation when setting a wallpaper but they blow them up 10x the proper size. Adding contacts should be simple but now its turning in to a frivilous chore that is wearing my patience.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Maybe it's not the Phone....

Bateluer

Reaction score
Why are my contacts merging? I have a "Willy" and a "Billy" and it is merging them together putting "Willy" as the given name and "Billy" as the family name. I NEVER PUT THAT IN THERE LIKE THAT.

I have a Kat and a Kathy, an it merges them together without asking me saying its the same person.

If I enter a contact seperately, keep it seperate, why on earth would this phone automatically put names that "sound similar" together as if they are the same person.

Sorry for the frustrating post but I cant get wallpapers to fit right, the phone calls people sometimes randomly and now I am getting texts from "Willy" when its actually "Billy", and when I go delete Billy's info from Willy's profile it will have just Willy's info, so I should be good just entering Billy's info now right?

So I go in, "Add new contact" put in Billy's info, and put in Billy's number and again, it merges it with Willy and says this is Willy's second # and that Billy must be Willy's second name.

WTF PHONE I AM NOT EVEN IN WILLY'S PROFILE I AM IN THE MAIN SCREEN INPUTTING A NUMBER! :mad:

I ran into similar problems with my contacts after I synced it to Facebook. Because I had different names for my FB Friends and the contacts on my old phone, I ended up with multiple entries. The easiest way for me to correct this was to go to into my Gmail account, where the contacts are also stored, and clean them up, separating and merging as necessary. For example, I had a FB Friend named Joe Smith, on my old phone, I had him listed as just JoeS, and I also had his email address stored under the name JoeSemail. Because of the syncing and importing, I ended up with him listed several times in the Droid contacts. Once I cleaned these up in Gmail, there were no more issues.

I would highly suggest for anyone getting a Droid that intends to sync with FB, to make sure your contacts between the various sync'd accounts all have the same name.

The Droid is a powerful device, but it serves those better who are more tech savvy than other devices.

REARless

Reaction score
The phone's operating system was designed by Google.

It works EXTREMELY well with a gmail account. Contacts and mail from the web sync automatically. I would recommend setting up a gmail account, import your contacts into that and everything will work.

mjs31

Reaction score
Are you using Facebook Contact syncing? I ended up just turning it off for now, since it was screwing with my contacts. I wish it would use e-mail or some other field to key off of instead of name.

I am using whatever is defualt, and I am kind of dissappointed that Verizon has released a phone that is not very user friendly in many regards. The small majority that are on forums can barely get things to work right, I can only imagine the frustration of the people that are trying it alone.

I love the phone but I am really getting ticked that the simple things liek wallpapers and contacts dont even function properly, it should be a simple click and go operation when setting a wallpaper but they blow them up 10x the proper size. Adding contacts should be simple but now its turning in to a frivilous chore that is wearing my patience.

Dang...if Wallpapers and contacts are making things difficult return this phone. Wow....get something more controlled and limited like the Iphone. Mr. Jobs will tell you what to do and how to do it ;-)

For the record...I have no problems with either of the above 2 items. Have owned the Iphone, many blackberries, Moto Q, several palm devices etc.. and this phone is by far the best. Little tricky at first, but after a few days no issues. I love the virtually unlimited opportunities this phone presents.

OP
G

GT Motion

Reaction score
The phone is very easy to do all the multimedia stuff on, but the simple things I am running into retarded issues.

Reaction score
My girlfriend ordered a Droid last night and the first thing I told her to do was to sign up for a Gmail account. She imported all of her contacts into gmail so now it's going to make things so much easier when she starts using the phone.

I've been using the Droid since its release and I haven't had any problems with contacts (other than having duplicate names coming from Facebook and the contacts I imported from Outlook).

jnashr

Reaction score
The Droid will merge contacts if they are put in with first names only, has nothing to do with facebook. In my instance, it would force Jim and James into the same contact. Easy fix was to include a last name.

thaJack

Reaction score
I absolutely refuse to enable Facebook syncing on my phone. I am very particular about formatting of phone numbers, names, etc. And when a contact from Facebook is synced to the phone you cannot change the details.. so no way for me.

sir2545

Reaction score
MEEEE toooo

I ran into similar problems with my contacts after I synced it to Facebook. Because I had different names for my FB Friends and the contacts on my old phone, I ended up with multiple entries. The easiest way for me to correct this was to go to into my Gmail account, where the contacts are also stored, and clean them up, separating and merging as necessary. For example, I had a FB Friend named Joe Smith, on my old phone, I had him listed as just JoeS, and I also had his email address stored under the name JoeSemail. Because of the syncing and importing, I ended up with him listed several times in the Droid contacts. Once I cleaned these up in Gmail, there were no more issues.

I would highly suggest for anyone getting a Droid that intends to sync with FB, to make sure your contacts between the various sync'd accounts all have the same name.

The Droid is a powerful device, but it serves those better who are more tech savvy than other devices.

I had the same thing happen to me after I synced with the Facebook app. I dont like the app tho so I dont use it and I reset the phone and contacts sync fine and I use the wonderful web browser to Facebook now

OP
G

GT Motion

Reaction score
Ok, I am trying to be patient with this phone now after hearing you guys say it may be user error. However, I have turned off all sync options but it is still putting "Billy" with "Willy" unless I put an initial or last name.

Are you telling me this phone cannot tell that "Billy" & "Willy" are two different people? Are you kidding me?

jnashr

Reaction score
Ok, I am trying to be patient with this phone now after hearing you guys say it may be user error. However, I have turned off all sync options but it is still putting "Billy" with "Willy" unless I put an initial or last name.

Are you telling me this phone cannot tell that "Billy" & "Willy" are two different people? Are you kidding me?
While I agree that it is a stupid flaw for the phone to auto group contacts like that, but is it really that much of an issue to put an initial or last name?