Anyone ever run into this when creating a new contact?

thundercats

Reaction score
This morning I ran into an issue that I cannot seem to wrap my head around. I tried to create two separate phone contacts (each has their own unique name and unique phone number), for the sake of this conversation we'll call them Jake and Tom, but every time I add each to my contacts list as a new contact, it simply adds Tom's number to Jake's contact instead of creating a separate entry. I'll try to explain; I go into my phone and create a new contact. I type in Jake for the given name and assign him a phone number (lets just say 1-555-555-5555) and I hit save. Everything looks good. Jake is displayed as a contact and with the correct phone number. I then add another new contact called Tom with his own phone number (1-555-555-5524) and hit save. Instead of creating another new contact with the new info it changed my Jake contact to Toms name and now has both phone numbers listed under it.

I'm really baffled by this.. I could understand if say this was a phone contact and I had a referencing Facebook contact as then I could just "un-join" the two but in this scenario, that is not the case. I've tried just about everything I could think of to make this work.. Thinking that maybe this was a sync issue I logged into Gmail and checked out my contacts. In GMail they both show up correctly.. as two separate entries. I deleted them from my GMail contacts and added them separately. I then went back to my phone and performed a re-sync and still the same problem with both phone numbers being merged under one person..

Hopefully one of you guy's will be able to help me lol.

bdbraaten

Reaction score
Are you going back to the contact list before creating the new contact?

If you're still on the screen for Jake and go to the menu and click new contact again the phone tries to link the two entries into one listing. If this is what its doing, you should be able to go into the combined entry and pick separate from the menu and it'll split them into two separate listings.

Does that help?

OP
T

thundercats

Reaction score
That's what I had originally thought as well but I can assure you that I'm exiting all of the way out of the contact list before I create the new contact.

Zebra941

Reaction score
I have the same issue with 2 contacts merged into one, in this case each shares the same landline. When I re-entered Contact A, it still placed the cell # under Contact B's info.

Nate A

Reaction score
Had the same thing happen with a Jock and a James. James would always be merged under Jock no mater what. I called up VZW support and they knew exactly what was going on, apparently the contact application looks for similar contacts and merges them automatically and there is no way to disable this function. To separate a merged contacts select the contact, tap menu and select "edit contact", tap menu again and select "separate".

csdonotcross

Reaction score
I have an issue with my contacts and thought this might be a place to post. I haven't had an issue as you describe but I have two contacts that change to upper and lower case for no apparent reason. I like to have all of my contacts in all caps but two of them changed to upper/lower. I tried to change them in the phone but couldn't. I tried to change them in gmail but couldn't. I ended up deleting the contacts and reinputing the info in gmail. But as soon as it synced with facebook again those two change back. I have several other contacts that are also on facebook so I'm not sure why just these two are changing. Anyone have any ideas?

Zebra941

Reaction score
Thanks Nate, that worked. Now the question is why did they feel the need to merge contacts? Should be the other way - merge the contact if that is desire!

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have an issue with my contacts and thought this might be a place to post. I haven't had an issue as you describe but I have two contacts that change to upper and lower case for no apparent reason. I like to have all of my contacts in all caps but two of them changed to upper/lower. I tried to change them in the phone but couldn't. I tried to change them in gmail but couldn't. I ended up deleting the contacts and reinputing the info in gmail. But as soon as it synced with facebook again those two change back. I have several other contacts that are also on facebook so I'm not sure why just these two are changing. Anyone have any ideas?

:welcome: to the forum CS:D i think your problem relates to facebook. i hear problem after problem relating to facebook and contacts. sorry i couldn't be more help.