Thinking of getting a Droid.. have some concerns...

slinky

Reaction score
Music is the area where Android is sorely lacking. What is out you can make do with but it's not as sleek as the iPod player. I'm fairly confident that apps will meet or exceed capabilities within a few months. IMHO, iTunes is a proprietary hell that you'll be glad to be rid of eventually. While Android still feels early in some places (dreadfully when it comes to movies you open with pictures or music app), it is still more than capable with a little know how and developing much faster than the iPhone ever did. By end of year, I think the popularity of these devices will skyrocket, hence Apple's attempt at suing everyone.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
There is so much the Droid can do. Really just as able, performance-wise, as the nexus one. If you're still on the fence, try the Droid first (nexus is not sold in stores, and you get a 30 day trial). I've read that it is either hard or not yet possible to un-root the nexus. Double check that though, I would really bad if I was spreading a false rumor.
One more that is not mentioned yet. Your music. I'm sure you use iTunes, and at first you'll be cursing the adjustments you have to make to get all your music back in business. There are plenty of music apps in the market that can get the job done. In addition to having just any app or equivalent you can find for your touch.
I predict that if you give wither the nexus or Droid a trial you keep it and be happy. As for future phones, I think it is safe to say that most of us will be more than happy with the Droid until an LTE capable smartphone comes out next year. The Droid wont get stale if flash ROMs and tweak themes around.
Good luck

What are LTE phones?

Does Droid support Sense UI? Or are there better ROMs for droid than sense?

Mostly I just want silky smooth menu and browser navigation. I really can't stand stutter in my touchscreens.

If someone could post a video showcasing menu navigation and browsing with a droid that is not lagged like the device I tried Id probably walk over and get one right now.

Grabraham

Reaction score
There is so much the Droid can do. Really just as able, performance-wise, as the nexus one. If you're still on the fence, try the Droid first (nexus is not sold in stores, and you get a 30 day trial). I've read that it is either hard or not yet possible to un-root the nexus. Double check that though, I would really bad if I was spreading a false rumor.
One more that is not mentioned yet. Your music. I'm sure you use iTunes, and at first you'll be cursing the adjustments you have to make to get all your music back in business. There are plenty of music apps in the market that can get the job done. In addition to having just any app or equivalent you can find for your touch.
I predict that if you give wither the nexus or Droid a trial you keep it and be happy. As for future phones, I think it is safe to say that most of us will be more than happy with the Droid until an LTE capable smartphone comes out next year. The Droid wont get stale if flash ROMs and tweak themes around.
Good luck

What are LTE phones?

Does Droid support Sense UI? Or are there better ROMs for droid than sense?

Mostly I just want silky smooth menu and browser navigation. I really can't stand stutter in my touchscreens.

If someone could post a video showcasing menu navigation and browsing with a droid that is not lagged like the device I tried Id probably walk over and get one right now.

Since most of the responses have been that we do not know why it would be as laggy as you described I suggest you just look for any videos that showcase the Driod browsing etc. I do not think any amount of back and forth posting is going to satisfy you... go to a different store try a different Droid ... chances are one of the sales-folk in the store has a droid on their hip ... or in their pocket ask them to show you theirs :motdroidhoriz:

bacalao

Reaction score
LTE will be the next level up from 3G, you call it 4G I guess.

I wish I wasn't working, I would dig a few links of sense ported to the droid, and some different ROMs; there are a load of 'home replacement' apps you can try also. I would search this forum (ROMs section should have some posts with screen shots), and search youtube. My good friend has a Hero and I wasn't really envious of sense UI, but everyone's different, which is why android is the best way to go if you want a phone customized to every detail.

I have silky smooth browser navigation. The droid in the store has stock 2.0.1, before it was just 2.0.0; before the update, the browser was just as smooth as the touch/iphone. Then the update chopped it up a bit. But the beauty is, you are not stuck to the stock browser (xscope, dolphin, and opera mini 5 are good substitutes).

bacalao

Reaction score
Since most of the responses have been that we do not know why it would be as laggy as you described I suggest you just look for any videos that showcase the Driod browsing etc. I do not think any amount of back and forth posting is going to satisfy you... go to a different store try a different Droid ... chances are one of the sales-folk in the store has a droid on their hip ... or in their pocket ask them to show you theirs :motdroidhoriz:

If only I could let you play with my phone for a minute, you would be burning rubber to the store to get one! haha

wirefly has the droid for $49. And I think VZW is having a buy 1 get 1 free for droids, so if you have a girl/boyfriend or a family member looking to upgrade....

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I am going to offer my opinion for what it is worth. I have my ipod touch in my hand and my rooted droid on my desk. I am browsing the web on the ipod while being tethered to the droid. It absolutly works. One of my employees came in and connected to my droid with his new iphone. That works as well.

One other thing not related at all to tethering. The web browsing smoothness is better on the ipod. Side by side it is obvious. I tried the iphone, ipod and droid back to back just 5 minutes ago. Droid is not as smooth. This being said, the driod screen is much better. Can actually read so much more with out constantly zooming. I do not have any issues with the smoothness on the droid, I think it is just fine, but there is a difference.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

+1 -- If you look up "on the fence" in the dictionary, there's a picture of the OP.

Go to VZW and play with the phone for a little while, it's your best way of trying the phone, short of a friend or your own.

If you dont think it's a good fit for you, then don't get it. Your choice is the only one that really matters...

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it's flash-based, then not yet. Flash should happen for the Droid sometime this year.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
oh so droid will be getting flash then? Hmm that is tempting.

So basically if I buy a droid I will have complete customizability?

Does ROOTing and custom ROMs take a lot of large files? I don't have very fast internet at the moment.

Does overclocking make a big difference in smoothing out the menu/browser?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Does ROOTing and custom ROMs take a lot of large files? I don't have very fast internet at the moment.

1) Yes, Flash has been confirmed, it's just a matter of time. My bet is that when 2.1 happens, Flash will follow shortly.

2) If you can program it, you can likely do it.

3) ROMS are ~100-150Mb -- they dont take very long to download using the cell network, maybe 10 minutes.

4) I think OC helps a lot, it's sort of personal preference.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score

1) Yes, Flash has been confirmed, it's just a matter of time. My bet is that when 2.1 happens, Flash will follow shortly.

2) If you can program it, you can likely do it.

3) ROMS are ~100-150Mb -- they dont take very long to download using the cell network, maybe 10 minutes.

4) I think OC helps a lot, it's sort of personal preference.

Any danger in overclocking? Is it all software driven? Like is the overclock just part of the ROM?

Also do you DL the rom straight to the phone? It runs over the standard GUI? Or does it replace it?

Is the Eris as modable at the Motorola Droid is? As in can it do all the same things? Tether ect..? Run the same apps? Be Rooted?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Any danger in overclocking? Is it all software driven? Like is the overclock just part of the ROM?

Also do you DL the rom straight to the phone? It runs over the standard GUI? Or does it replace it?

Is the Eris as modable at the Motorola Droid is? As in can it do all the same things? Tether ect..? Run the same apps? Be Rooted?

1) All OCing is dangerous in one way or another, you're pushing the phone past it's manufacturer specifications. I dont know of anyone who's killed their phone due to OCing, just use a temp monitor and dont be stupid about it. It's software driven, but the software controls the hardware.

2) Flashing the ROM replaces the entire OS completely. You use the recovery software to replace the OS.

3) I dont think the Eris is as powerful as the Droid, but you'll have to ask those specifics of someone who has played with an Eris.