Thinking about buying this phone, but I have some questions.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thanks for all the info, few more questions though.

Is there a way to un root your phone?

If I do brick it, can't you use a back up and restore the phone?

Finally with apps like home++, can you combine features from several to create a unquie home?

Yes, there are directions for returning to stock as long as you install the appropriate recovery software. I'd find the link for you, but I'm off my laptop and on my Droid now. You can probably find them by searching unroot or return to stock.

I HAVE heard that some people have been able to recover. From what I understand, it's pretty difficult to completely screw yourself, but still possible depending on the things you attempt to do.

The only way to combine features of separate apps would be to develop your own and hope that you can get source code for the features you want. If you install 2-3 different home apps, you can only utilize the features of one at a time.

As I think I stated before, the dev of home++ is working on separating parts of the app. If that were the case and they worked over the top of the stock home and Oberlin development followed suit, its a possibility you could get the best of all worlds. That's in the distant future if it exists at all though. When 2.1 comes out with 5 screens, they WILL have to make changes to stay relevant.

OP
G

Grey Hawk

Reaction score
Thank you. One final thought for right now, should I just wait for the nexus one?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thank you. One final thought for right now, should I just wait for the nexus one?

You mean wait to see if/when it comes to Verizon, or use T-Mobile? I haven't looked into it much, as I really like the Droid, but that's a personal call on your part. If you're thinking about T-Mobile, their 3G coverage is a joke, so you'll be disappointed in the internet/download speeds.

There will always be something new and shiny that comes out right when you buy something else. The Droid is a good investment in my opinion.

OP
G

Grey Hawk

Reaction score
Which data plan do I need? The $30 or $45? I don't want any surprise bills.

The $45 is labeled as unlimited data, do I need that?

I'll be surfing web/downloading apps etc... I don't want to be charged for data.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just checked my plan. I have the $29.99/month email & web for smartphone and have browsed the web/downloaded stuff like its going out of style since November. All you need is the $30 data plan!

pockets

Reaction score
I highly recomend something other then tbe droid...that way if I see u I can tell u how much cooler my phone is then yours

ShowTime

Reaction score
Which data plan do I need? The $30 or $45? I don't want any surprise bills.

The $45 is labeled as unlimited data, do I need that?

I'll be surfing web/downloading apps etc... I don't want to be charged for data.

Hmmm didn't even know there was a $45 plan. The $30 plan covers unlimited data and they essentially force you to get it when you buy the phone anyway.

D

Droidlicous

I highly recomend something other then tbe droid...that way if I see u I can tell u how much cooler my phone is then yours
+1 :motdroidhoriz: RULES!!!
By the way Handcent is a good 3rd party SMS Program! I'm pretty sure majority of the people use it...

OP
G

Grey Hawk

Reaction score
Next round of questions!

Market/Apps

• Are apps one time fees? On the Apple App Store, if you buy an app, you get all the updates involved with it for free. So if you download 2.0 and they have 2.1 next week, its just a free update. Until they make a completely new app separate from the original. Is that how it is on the Market? I don't want to be charged $1.99 every time they have an update.
  • On the App store, they have a separate section for updates of your current apps. Does the Market have this? If not, how do I know when an app has an update?

wirezd

Reaction score
Next round of questions!

Market/Apps

• Are apps one time fees? On the Apple App Store, if you buy an app, you get all the updates involved with it for free. So if you download 2.0 and they have 2.1 next week, its just a free update. Until they make a completely new app separate from the original. Is that how it is on the Market? I don't want to be charged $1.99 every time they have an update.
  • On the App store, they have a separate section for updates of your current apps. Does the Market have this? If not, how do I know when an app has an update?
All updates are free, and the majority of the apps on the market are free.

You'll get a notification via the notification bar if any of your apps are out of date, you can also see while on the market too IIRC.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Because all apps are tied to your Google account, you pay one time for a paid app. I bought an app wig my G1 on T-Mobile and went to buy it again with my Droid, but didn't have to because there was a record of me having already paid.